• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Difference Between Single Cuff, Barrel Cuff and Double Cuff

mtrizzle06

Reaction score
Is a single cuff the same thing as a double cuff, but only with a single cuff?

Or does a single cuff look like a barrel cuff?

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both single cuff and double/french cuff require links.

A barrel cuff does not.

mtrizzle06

Reaction score
Specifically, for single cuff, I mean Tyrwhitt single cuff.

And I've heard that French Cuff = DC

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
single cuff and barrel cuff can mean the same thing but often a single cuff means one button and a barrel cuff implies more than on button and usually two

mtrizzle06

Reaction score
Can you tailor a single or double cuff into a barrel cuff? and how much would this cost?

Sorry for the questions.... I don't really know much about shirts

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can get combination single/barrel cuffs, and use links/buttons as you wish.

Just about to get a Boss shirt with barrels converted to combi by my local shirt guy. Not sure of cost but shouldn't be much.

I

mtrizzle06

Reaction score
So would double/french cuff or single cuff able to be tailored into barrel?

tricota

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211

A barrel cuff does not.

Really? I never buy shirts in England, but I always thought the single cuff was just another name for a botton cuff...?

Working Stiff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what I've seen, single cuff is almost always used to mean button cuff. However, at one point it referred to a cuff that required cuff links but did not fold back on itself like double cuffs (hence, single vs. double, referring to the layers of cloth). Since these cuffs are now very rare, you can be fairly confident that when you order single cuffs you are getting button cuffs.

tricota

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Working Stiff
From what I've seen, single cuff is almost always used to mean button cuff. However, at one point it referred to a cuff that required cuff links but did not fold back on itself like double cuffs (hence, single vs. double, referring to the layers of cloth). Since these cuffs are now very rare, you can be fairly confident that when you order single cuffs you are getting button cuffs.

Allright. I normally only buy btton cuffs, but I was looking at those from Charles Tyrwhitt and there the choice was single or doubble cuff, and that did confuse me a bit...But then I am easily confused and google did not help...

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
French cuff is a name adopted to appease the French (for why I know not) and is properly known as a double cuff: This requires links.

A single cuff is a button cuff in design although many shirts also have a button in each end of the cuff to enable links to be worn with them. This can either be considered an economy or allowing a choice. Personally I think clinks with single cuffs look odd to say the least. This can also be called a barrel cuff.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And just to add for completeness, a shirt with single cuffs and links is the correct style to wear with white tie.

The single cuff shirts that can be used with buttons or links are also known as "convertible cuffs."

I've recently had a few single cuff shirts made to be used solely with links, and I actually am warming up to them more than my double cuff shirts -- they have the "lightness" of fabric found in a barrel cuff, but still allow me to use links.

tricota

Reaction score
Okay, thanks for the replys guys. Like I said, I am really not interested in using cufflinks. I prefer the botton version. So it sounds like a single cuff from CT might be worth a try.

BdeRWest

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
A barrel cuff does not.

Correct

Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
single cuff and barrel cuff can mean the same thing but often a single cuff means one button and a barrel cuff implies more than on button and usually two

Incorrect.

Blast it all, when I need to find the page on which Mr. Kabbaz explains single cuffs (and the pictures in which he wears them), I cannot.

The short answer: Single cuffs are, according to Mr. Kabbaz, the only appropriate cuff for formalwear, e.g., white collar. Aptly named, single cuffs require cufflinks, but do not fold over like double cuffs do.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads