Inspired by RIDER a tried my hand at antiquing myself. Before working on shoes I would really miss if I screwed them up, I've only worked on shoes that I will not regret losing.
My first effort was as pair of brown Bostonian monk straps I bought at a thrift store for $5. If you have not done something like this before, I highly recommend using a pair of nominal cost and no regret shoes for your first test bed.
My second was on a on a pair of CT branded CG Loakes. I intended to wear these after completion, but still didn't want to work on a really valuable pair of shoes.
^ The original shoes from above after taping the soles before any other work ^
^ The original shoes from the side after taping the soles before any other work ^
I noticed that when taping the bottoms as RIDER suggests, for me it worked to apply one piece of tape, then trip it to the sole with a razor blade, then add the next piece of tap, then trim....
^ View from above after removing the finish from the right shoe using Fiebing deglazer ^
^ View from the side after removing the finish from the right shoe using Fiebing deglazer ^
^ View from above after applying the first coat of Fiebing medium brown shoe dye ^
To keep things simple at this early stage in my shoe dyeing and antiquing efforts, I decided to use only medium brown dye
^ View from above after applying the three or four coats of Fiebing medium brown shoe dye ^
^ View from above after applying the sixth and last coat of Fiebing medium brown shoe dye ^
^ Views from above of the shoes after applying some Pecard Lethaer Dressing and simply polishing with Kiwi brown shoe polish. ^
The flash is pretty harsh in this photo and it over-emphasizes the contrast of the color in the brogueing perforations. I'll get some photo of the shoes in natural light to show more accurately what they look like to the human eye.
All in all IMHO I think these were pretty successful nephyte efforts. I'm definately reassured and eager to work towards feelling confident enough to work on a better pair of shoes and doing more with different dyes and polishes afterwards.
Thank you RIDER. There is no way I would have ever attempted this without the primer you posted earlier in this thread