or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Shoe Antiquing
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shoe Antiquing - Page 10

post #136 of 309
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by letmebefell View Post
Resurrecting an old favorite on a wet Sunday afternoon.

I've a question: what's the difference between Fiebings Craft Dyes and Pro Oil Dye? Is the Craft Dye better for this work?

Don't kow what the 'Craft Dye' is, honestly.....Oil dye is for Veg tanned leathers - not finished calf (chrome).

I really don't know if Fiebings is doing new products - I use the same products for a long time and get mine from my jobber.
post #137 of 309
I don't have the balls, or money to experiment on my shoes like this... RIDER you truly are an artist. Thank you for the beautiful pictures.
post #138 of 309
This is a bad ass thread.
post #139 of 309
Any more shoe porn to share with the masses, good sir?
post #140 of 309
hello Ron, are you still doing this service? i guess my first question is, is it possible to turn a dark color into a totally different color? for example, i have some dark green shoes i might want to get dyed a different color with an antiqued finish. i wonder if that is possible?
post #141 of 309
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfrider View Post
Any more shoe porn to share with the masses, good sir?

Yeah......just got done this pair:





don't have a before, but they were british tan. Were a real mess when arrived, as they were caked with olive shoe polish, but they were saved! Turned out well.......IMO. Also doing a similiar job on a pair of JL's that should be finished Wednesday.
post #142 of 309
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post
hello Ron, are you still doing this service?

i guess my first question is, is it possible to turn a dark color into a totally different color? for example, i have some dark green shoes i might want to get dyed a different color with an antiqued finish. i wonder if that is possible?

hmmmmm....I am, and now that the weather is breaking it's easier for me to work some. I don't take on too much, as I am VERY slow, but getting better now that it is a little warmer. I am a total disaster in the winter.....no heat in my shop except for a space heater, so I don't get much done. You can PM me the details and I'll tell you if I can or not....thanks!
post #143 of 309
Not to add to Ron's workload, but Ron antiqued two pairs of shoes for me about a year ago - a pair of Moreschi Norvegese-style derbies and a pair of Tricker's oxfords. The results were absolutely spectacular. The Moreschis were about to go into the back of the closet, mainly due to the original color, before I sent them to Ron. He worked his magic, was incredibly professional about communicating progress (including pictures as the work progressed - I will try to dig them up and post here) and really helpful about gently guiding me to workable solutions. Those Moreschis are now commented upon virtually everywhere I wear them, including, most recently, by one of the staff at Leffot (and they do know their shoes there). The Tricker's are also amazing, having gone from a tan to a great antiqued burgundy. Ron is truly a master.
post #144 of 309
can the same stripping/dying process be done on burnished finishes?
post #145 of 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC11201 View Post
Not to add to Ron's workload, but Ron antiqued two pairs of shoes for me about a year ago - a pair of Moreschi Norvegese-style derbies and a pair of Tricker's oxfords. The results were absolutely spectacular. The Moreschis were about to go into the back of the closet, mainly due to the original color, before I sent them to Ron. He worked his magic, was incredibly professional about communicating progress (including pictures as the work progressed - I will try to dig them up and post here) and really helpful about gently guiding me to workable solutions. Those Moreschis are now commented upon virtually everywhere I wear them, including, most recently, by one of the staff at Leffot (and they do know their shoes there). The Tricker's are also amazing, having gone from a tan to a great antiqued burgundy. Ron is truly a master.

Do you have any pictures?
post #146 of 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC11201 View Post
Not to add to Ron's workload, but Ron antiqued two pairs of shoes for me about a year ago - a pair of Moreschi Norvegese-style derbies and a pair of Tricker's oxfords. The results were absolutely spectacular. The Moreschis were about to go into the back of the closet, mainly due to the original color, before I sent them to Ron. He worked his magic, was incredibly professional about communicating progress (including pictures as the work progressed - I will try to dig them up and post here) and really helpful about gently guiding me to workable solutions. Those Moreschis are now commented upon virtually everywhere I wear them, including, most recently, by one of the staff at Leffot (and they do know their shoes there). The Tricker's are also amazing, having gone from a tan to a great antiqued burgundy. Ron is truly a master.

I'll second this general recommendation of Ron. He is really a fantastic guy, extraordinarily generous with his time and efforts. I've bought a number of shoes from him, including an absolutely gorgeous pair of his eponymous chukkas, and each time the customer service experience has been nothing short of phenomenal. Coupled with his generosity to the forum, Ron should probably be sainted by the SF community.
post #147 of 309
I used a few of Riders techniques to give these plain tan shoes some character. I'm delight with the results. They were about the same color as the belt underneath the toe. I much prefer this color and they don't show waterspots and scuffs.

post #148 of 309
those are fantastic, PSG
post #149 of 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon View Post
those are fantastic, PSG

Thanks. I just wasn't wearing them and the light antiquing makes then very wearable now.
post #150 of 309
so did you strip them and then use brown dye to get that look?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Shoe Antiquing