• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why does St. Crispins...

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
suceed on SF, while the other Viennese shoemaker don't get much of notice?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
To be noticed you do need hardcore followers who are beating the drums around them for the brand benefit...
That was the key of Tony Gaziano ,Corthay or Gomez success...

I do barely one or two Austrian shoe makers and mainly thanks to you...
St crispin is a good brand lacking a bit of magic for me but...

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Marketing, I think.

Vienna seems to have a veritable treasure house of tailors and various makers. They even have RTW top hats available.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Marketing and global image...

Austria is still seen as a beautiful and slighly passeist country...
It is still perceived as the land of Mozart and Strauss and the Austro-hungarian Empire of the Hasburgs....
Beautiful buildings ,fantastic landscapes and sceneries...

We have problems to get in touch with a modern Austria dynamic and creative...
Kurt Waldheim is dead and still Austria is hardly in the news or in the fashion agenda...

It is also difficult in terms of design which is more boxy and mittle Europa than the Italian and even British models currently available...

I do find them to broguy and square but it is only my opinion...

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Marketing and global image...

Austria is still seen as a beautiful and slighly passeist country...
It is still perceived as the land of Mozart and Strauss and the Austro-hungarian Empire of the Hasburgs....
Beautiful buildings ,fantastic landscapes and sceneries...

We have problems to get in touch with a modern Austria dynamic and creative...
Kurt Waldheim is dead and still Austria is hardly in the news or in the fashion agenda...

It is also difficult in terms of design which is more boxy and mittle Europa than the Italian and even British models currently available...

I do find them to broguy and square but it is only my opinion...

In my heart, "I am from Austria."

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Vieux-jeu....

i do like Scheer but it is difficult to get some Austrian shoes from here...

Fritz,you have a mission in your life now...Promoting Austrian shoes...

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i do like Scheer but it is difficult to get some Austrian shoes from here...

Travelling from UK to Vienna is not more difficult than going to Paris....

Fritz ,you have a mission in your life now...Promoting Austrian shoes...

Will you support me? C'mon...

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think it's because a bunch of them became accessible recently through some internet outlets. If you know of any sources in the US for Hawt Austrian Shoos, post away. In your OP, you don't even mention the names of those you feel are being ignored.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ashford-Paris Not even 2 hours and thanks to my company ,i do pay £49 return...

It will take me 2 hours to get to the airport + the wait+the flight and on on....

No way,Jose.....And Delos or Gomez are not in Vienna ....

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think also that the man who runs the company is very accomodating and responds quickly to emails. I cannot say that they are my favorite Austrian shoes. They lack a bit of the local color that we see in the pics from people returning from holiday in Vienna, and they make up for it with a touch mroe sleekness. I think the pics on the website are very glossy, which appeals to the eye, and they show a lot of available models, something most bespoke shoemakers do not have the time to do. More than anything, I am annoyed that I did not know about the Austrian shoe tradition when I was in Vienna last summer
frown.gif

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks, for this insight to the topic. Just for the records: Mr. Rollig, founder of SC, was owner or at least worked for an advertising agency. He is a full professional in marketing. @iammatt More than anything, I am annoyed that I did not know about the Austrian shoe tradition when I was in Vienna last summer . Next time, you give me a call.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Fritzl, Looking at one of the sites you posted on AAAC, I see again the model with holes in it which I can only imagine is for summer. Both this and the woven leather, which I hated at first, are beginning to interest me a little. Can you explain what their traditional uses are as we never see good ones around here. BTW, from Maftei, this is a beautiful shoe
PantofRosu.jpg

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Fritzl, Looking at one of the sites you posted on AAAC, I see again the model with holes in it which I can only imagine is for summer. Both this and the woven leather, which I hated at first, are beginning to interest me a little. Can you explain what their traditional uses are as we never see good ones around here.
Fritzl; could you post the same links here?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Fritzl, Looking at one of the sites you posted on AAAC, I see again the model with holes in it which I can only imagine is for summer. Both this and the woven leather, which I hated at first, are beginning to interest me a little. Can you explain what their traditional uses are as we never see good ones around here. BTW, from Maftei, this is a beautiful shoe
PantofRosu.jpg

Yes the Derby Alexandru, named after Alexandru Maftei, is a summer shoe. Ludwig Reiter has/had the Badner Locherlschuh in their summer programme. It is a Derby/Blucher, and the holes are smaller. IIRC, it is/was only available in dark blue. Vass book, page 200, there was a derby model w. captoe for the Baldessarini line(I think the cooperation does not exist anymore.) The woven shoe is also a summer model called Slatin Pasha Mine is special, cause I have a Goyserer stitching on them. RTW, I only know that Ludwig Reiter produces them. Traditional uses for the Slatin. I pair them with my traditional Lederhosen. It is typical for the Sommerfrische - summer health resort. Linen clothes, khakis, denim. LS: Here are some links http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...5&postcount=15 http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...ad.php?t=74187 http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...ghlight=Vienna

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
shoe_54_200.jpg
Thanks, Fritzl! The Derby Alexandru looks a bit orthopedic to me but I quite like some of the other Maftei models, particularly the heavier ones. I'll have to look at your links thorughly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics