• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shirts thathave a similar fit to Band of Outsiders (hyper-slim fit)?

dnvl

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm a long-time lurker and infrequent poster but I have a question that has been plaguing me for a while and I need to turn to the experts.

I really like the fit of Band of Outsiders which I believe to be one step more extreme in terms of most slim fits. For example, the Club Monaco Slim Fit in XS fits all right in the body but the arm holes are HUGE, which is a real shame.

Anyway, the real question is: are there any shirtmakers that create shirts in a similar cut to Band of Outsiders? I feel that it's hard to justify spending almost $300 on a shirt from them (although I'm very very close if there aren't any suggestions).

Thanks in advance.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Thom Browne (not Black Fleece) have a similar cut to BoO, but cost 2x more, so probably not a helpful suggestion

The current range of Ben Sherman long sleeve gingham buttondowns in a size Small fit nearly exact to BoO size Med. Good fitted body, high armholes, and the neck accomodates a 15" shirt neck size. $69

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dnvl
Hey everyone,

I'm a long-time lurker and infrequent poster but I have a question that has been plaguing me for a while and I need to turn to the experts.

I really like the fit of Band of Outsiders which I believe to be one step more extreme in terms of most slim fits. For example, the Club Monaco Slim Fit in XS fits all right in the body but the arm holes are HUGE, which is a real shame.

Anyway, the real question is: are there any shirtmakers that create shirts in a similar cut to Band of Outsiders? I feel that it's hard to justify spending almost $300 on a shirt from them (although I'm very very close if there aren't any suggestions).

Thanks in advance.

If your only problem with the Club Monaco Slim Fit shirt is the arm holes, why not just resew the sleeve button to make it tighter?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
^^ He's talking about the armholes at the sleevehead. not at the cuff

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
Thom Browne (not Black Fleece) have a similar cut to BoO, but cost 2x more, so probably not a helpful suggestion

The current range of Ben Sherman long sleeve gingham buttondowns in a size Small fit nearly exact to BoO size Med. Good fitted body, high armholes, and the neck accomodates a 15" shirt neck size. $69

I've found Ben Sherman to be a slimmer fit than most everything else you'd find in its price range. Even the cheaper made BS stuff I've gotten on sale for $30-40 is very slim fitting and has all been darted. Quality is debatable, but the fit-to-price ratio of Sherman on sale is not to be trifled with.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
to reclarify about Ben Sherman, the tag should read "mod fit" or "soho fit". Those are their most fitted ranges, the SoHo fit is tighter than mod but they don't make many shirts in that style.

dnvl

Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestion regarding Ben Sherman. Do they carry XS? In terms of BoO sizing, I'm a small.

Regarding the armholes, Get Smart is right - I meant where the arm meets the shoulder.

Thom Browne is close (in terms of their oxfords which are $240 at Barney's) but I feel like it fits less well than BoO (and it's more expensive, so that doesn't really help).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads