Late to the party, but very nice Roger.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Quintessential Dress Shoe: Black Cap Toe Oxford Last post on 2/17/17 at 9:05am in Classic Menswear
- Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on 2/13/17 at 8:15am in Classic Menswear
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/2/17 at 8:22pm in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 4:32 pm in Classic Menswear
A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
Last edited: 5/24/16
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.Last edited: 2/9/16
- Why am I not getting the mirror shine I want with Saphir cream polish?Last edited: 2/8/16
- Stocking Stuffers for Your Favorite Denim HeadLast edited: 12/6/15
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Boots Boots Boots - For Boot Guys Only - Page 192post #2866 of 35939/17/16 at 5:35amThread Starterpost #2867 of 35939/17/16 at 5:38ampost #2868 of 35939/17/16 at 8:50am
Hi all, as a fellow "Boot Guy", I'd like to ask for some advice from experts.
I am looking to purchase my first pair of derby boots to take on inclement weather conditions. I want to be able to wear them in inclement weather but also take them with me this coming winter around dec or jan traveling outdoors in southern Germany, Austria and Switzerland where I expect there to be a lot of snow and slush to walk through. I'd like the pair to be hardy and reliable that is able to take a beating for outdoor pursuits like hiking and offtrail walks, yet still look smart enough to wear to work if needed (as a medic I rarely wear suits, mostly chinos + button up shirts if I'm not in theatre).
For this purpose I've narrowed my choices down to two boots: the Crockett and Jones Conistons in navy (last one in all of UK!) and the Northcote boots in brown. I've tried them on today at a C&J store in London today, see pics attached.
Which would the experts here recommend for my purpose? I feel like the Conistons will be more hardwearing and tough and practical, but the Northcotes are much more sleek and elegant. Would the scotch grain of the Conistons be of significant practical benefit?
My current humble collection of shoes only has two boots: the black and brown C&J Tetbury chukka boots, which I've found fantastic for everyday wear to work if that helps.post #2869 of 35939/17/16 at 9:02ampost #2870 of 35939/17/16 at 9:28ampost #2871 of 35939/17/16 at 10:06am
:D Great to hear that! How are they holding up in bad weather etc?
I think I am tending towards the Conistons (just look at that colour!), do you reckon the scotch grain make a real difference to ruggedness?
Also, how does the Navy colour work into your wardrobe? Versatile enough or more restricted?post #2872 of 35939/17/16 at 10:34am
Grain does a bit better than smooth calf in terms of all weather wearability. IMO, Zug is the ultimate, followed by Chromexcel, then grain. Shell is very weather resistant but will most likely end up looking like $#!% after a light sprinkle of rain, never mind snow and slush - so it's not even on my list for foul weather wear.
| find navy very versatile, though My navy footwear is all of the dressy variety. I'd have no problem working in navy grain derby boots (always wanted those Conistons, in case that wasn't clear) but I don't think it would be as versatile as, say, a medium brown.
PS - I was forgetting about my navy suede chukkas - and I wear the heck out of those casually - but my comment on comparative versatility still stands.
Edited by RogerP - 9/17/16 at 10:45ampost #2873 of 35939/17/16 at 11:03ampost #2874 of 35939/17/16 at 11:34amThread Starterpost #2875 of 35939/17/16 at 12:54pmpost #2876 of 35939/17/16 at 1:15pmpost #2877 of 35939/17/16 at 1:18pmpost #2878 of 35939/17/16 at 1:20pmQuote:post #2879 of 35939/17/16 at 1:41pmpost #2880 of 35939/17/16 at 4:36pm
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Navy Cesare Attolini suit in size 52R. Wool/cashmere blend 45 seconds ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 1 minute ago
- › Eidos Napoli 1 minute ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 8 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice,... 10 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 14 minutes ago
- › What did you eat last night for dinner? 16 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 18 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 23 minutes ago
- › Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned? 28 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › The Current Popular Menswear Pieces
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway