or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Boots Boots Boots - For Boot Guys Only
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Boots Boots Boots - For Boot Guys Only - Page 158

post #2356 of 3315
these Sutor M. ankle boots size 8s are a steal @ $129. The retail is $600+. They don't run small.

http://www.yoox.com/us/44832970CP/item#dept=men&sts=sr_men80&cod10=44832970CP&sizeId=7
post #2357 of 3315
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerP View Post


 Yes, Moosic said he was able to order a single pair.  I'm not sure how many more pairs they could supply, but it would be worth asking for someone looking for a real outdoor type of boot.

Yes we were informed by EG that they have a "limited" amount of heather gorse (zug) leather in stock, not enough for a GMTO.
post #2358 of 3315
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerP View Post

I don't know about the specific traits of hiking boots, but for me the key to a good all-weather all-activity boot (in my case camping and hunting - the latter of which involves a fair degree of walking over open varied ground, though walking is not the purpose) are a durable upper and a synthetic sole with some tread.  Leather soles in the field are just absurd.

My CXL AE Bayfields served this purpose for many years:

orig.jpg

I still think CXL is nearly unbeatable as a choice for the uppers - and the Carmina Jumpers that have replaced them are of that material:

orig.jpg

But if you happen to luck into a pair of genuine Heather Gorse (Zug!) Veldtshoens, that's probably the cat's pyjamas right there.

orig.jpg 
I wouldn't be able to bring myself wearing those beau carminas for an outdoor trip😀

The last ones, the heather gorse: EG Galway, are they?
post #2359 of 3315
Quote:
Originally Posted by globobock View Post


I wouldn't be able to bring myself wearing those beau carminas for an outdoor trip😀

The last ones, the heather gorse: EG Galway, are they?

 

What?  Man CXL is meant for hard wear! :slayer: I was amazed at how little evidence there was of all that I put my Bayfields through over a few years.  I'm sure the Carminas will endure every bit as well if not better.  Overall they have a rock solid and indestructible feel to them.  Terrific boots.

 

And yes, the last pair are Galways on the 64 last.

 

Cheers!

post #2360 of 3315
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerP View Post

What?  Man CXL is meant for hard wear! icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif I was amazed at how little evidence there was of all that I put my Bayfields through over a few years.  I'm sure the Carminas will endure every bit as well if not better.  Overall they have a rock solid and indestructible feel to them.  Terrific boots.

And yes, the last pair are Galways on the 64 last.

Cheers!
Roger, what size do you wear in 64 last? I just picked up a pair of galways in 8E and they're a bit snug. Wondering if they'll break in or if I should move them on
post #2361 of 3315

^^^ I wear a 9E in both 82 and 64, with the latter being a more roomy fit.  Too snug is something only you can decide, but I will say that I am even less tolerant of a borderline snug fit in a boot than in a shoe.

post #2362 of 3315
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerP View Post

^^^ I wear a 9E in both 82 and 64, with the latter being a more roomy fit.  Too snug is something only you can decide, but I will say that I am even less tolerant of a borderline snug fit in a boot than in a shoe.
Cheers Roger.
I'll wear them around the house to see how they'll work out. Not confident tho frown.gif
post #2363 of 3315
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyJones View Post


Roger, what size do you wear in 64 last? I just picked up a pair of galways in 8E and they're a bit snug. Wondering if they'll break in or if I should move them on

8E, huh??? What's the makeup???

post #2364 of 3315
Dark oak country calf, mink suede shaft shearling lined in the shaft. Very light wear by the prior owner. Ridgeway sole is virtually unmarked. Box, bags and polishing cloth all present and correct
post #2365 of 3315
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyJones View Post

Dark oak country calf, mink suede shaft shearling lined in the shaft. Very light wear by the prior owner. Ridgeway sole is virtually unmarked. Box, bags and polishing cloth all present and correct

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyJones View Post


Cheers Roger.
I'll wear them around the house to see how they'll work out. Not confident tho frown.gif

For reference (based on your Vass for sale), I'm a size 42 on the F last, and I wear an 8.5/9E for the 64 last (my pair is shearling lined as well) and I find it slightly snug. I think I find it slightly snug because it's not as elongated as the 82 last and it's a little more stubby. 

post #2366 of 3315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabolical View Post

For reference (based on your Vass for sale), I'm a size 42 on the F last, and I wear an 8.5/9E for the 64 last (my pair is shearling lined as well) and I find it slightly snug. I think I find it slightly snug because it's not as elongated as the 82 last and it's a little more stubby. 
Thanks man. The shearling is only in the shaft so doesn't affect fit. I find the length not too bad but they're biting my little toe
post #2367 of 3315
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerP View Post
 

I still think CXL is nearly unbeatable as a choice for the uppers - and the Carmina Jumpers that have replaced them are of that material:

 

Hosting provided by FotoTime

 

 

 

 

 

Fantastic boots @RogerP 

 

Close to drooling with envy.

post #2368 of 3315
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerP View Post

I don't know about the specific traits of hiking boots, but for me the key to a good all-weather all-activity boot (in my case camping and hunting - the latter of which involves a fair degree of walking over open varied ground, though walking is not the purpose) are a durable upper and a synthetic sole with some tread.  Leather soles in the field are just absurd.
I still think CXL is nearly unbeatable as a choice for the uppers - and the Carmina Jumpers that have replaced them are of that material:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
orig.jpg

But if you happen to luck into a pair of genuine Heather Gorse (Zug!) Veldtshoens, that's probably the cat's pyjamas right there.

orig.jpg 

Roger how well does CXL keep a shine? I thought it was a pull-up leather so I imagine they're hard to keep looking new?
post #2369 of 3315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawl Lapel View Post


Roger how well does CXL keep a shine? I thought it was a pull-up leather so I imagine they're hard to keep looking new?


 Exactly the opposite my man.  It doesn't ever take quite the high gloss shine that calf does (though I have seen some guys get a mirror finish on the toe box) but the softer satin-line sheen it starts with is a piece of cake to maintain.  A quick wipe-down with a damp cloth followed by a good brushing when dry is usally all it takes to restore that look.  Add a light coat of neutral polish to bring the shine to its full potential.  And in terms of taking a lot of hard wear and showing little evidence of it, CXL is leagues ahead of calf.

post #2370 of 3315

Dammit Roger

Now I may need  to get some of those

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Boots Boots Boots - For Boot Guys Only