• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Honeymoon in London, Paris, Rome advice

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
So me and the soon-to-be Mrs Awesome are going on our honeymoon at end of the year....5 days in Rome, 5 in Paris, then 4 in London.

Any travel tips for that time of year in those places?

What's the weather like? Most importantly, what kind of shoes are good to pack, not good to bring? Is the weather poor enough to make it a good idea to leave any good shoes at home?

Just how expensive is to eat decently in those cities nowadays with our crap exchange rate?

Will a shirt, sweater, jacket, overcoat and scarf be warm enough?

thanks!

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
London will be stupendously expensive, even at the cheapest restaurants.

Paris will be surprisingly expensive for food.

Rome will be OK.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Yea that's what I thought. I heard a filet o fish meal at McDs in London costs $12 (6 GBP)

I figure the food prices will be what they are.....as a tribute to my sickness I am more concerned about what shoes to bring (not bring)
blush.gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We did just about the same in the end of November 8 years ago. All three cities are really at their best in winter and you will have a fantastic time without trying a bit.

Every year is different, but the biggest obstacle you will hit weather wise is not super heavy rain, but slick old streets, especially in Rome. I went without overcoat and bought a parka my second day in Rome. That was enough warmth.

Food is not cheap, but let me know if you want some recs for inexpensive but delicious restaurants. I know a good many in Rome that are fantastic and really local places. Simple Roman food is often better than the better known stuff. Other people would be better to ask for Paris and London. Nothing is a bargain in London at all.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
thanks Matt, I'll defo hit you up on the list of Roman eateries closer to the date

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GS - Like many on this forum (I assume), I have visited these fantastic cities on numerous occasions. In my experience, the quickest way to get decent "inside" info from people who actually live there is through TimeOut "City Guides." You can get them on their site, or cruise into any decent book store and page through a couple. These guides have been right on for me in Europe (i.e., London, Paris, Barcelona, Athens...), as well as in Asia (i.e., Tokyo, Bangkok,...). These guides are much more sophisticated for the city traveler than the many others you typically find in the travel section. Man, you're gonna have some serious fun. Congratulations!!!

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
maybe it's the canadian in me but i think your choice of clothing will be fine
london and paris stay relatively mild and even rome isn't all that cold for december

i was in rome last year in january with just a sweater and light jacket and was fine, although the romans were in their parkas at 40 degree weather, but to me, that's not cold ..... this is the same light coat i take to switzerland each january though and i find it's more than warm enough there as well

all three cities are expensive but in roma, you can at least find good inexpensive restaurants, not so much in london but decent priced food can be found in paris

Mustapha

Reaction score
In London, Pret a Manger is a chain of what looks like sandwich shops. Reasonably priced, they also carry items that can be microwaved for dinner. Supermarket hot tables are also a way of eating cheaply, and this works for any country.

-Moose

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mustapha
Supermarket hot tables are also a way of eating cheaply, and this works for any country.
Well, I mean, this is their honeymoon...

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mustapha
In London, Pret a Manger is a chain of what looks like sandwich shops.

Indeed that's what they are. A cheap fill up but not much of a dining experience.
I've had some nice meals using the establishments on toptable.co.uk, there's a feedback section for reviews and you can earn points for free meals etc. They have a good selection of places in all the cities you'll be visiting.
I'd say Rome is likely to be light sweater/jacket weather and Paris and London something a little more substantial, and shower-proof. Good times to visit all cities for cultural stuff, too.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Well, I mean, this is their honeymoon...
lol. True. I am not a fan of really "British" food, and while the French food in London is quite good now, it is nothing ocmpared to Paris so spending the extra change on it does not make a whole lot of sense. What London does have is terrific ethnic food, especially Indian and Pakistani. We generally do tha more than anything else. If you want a really nice Indian where the atmosphere is terrific, the food great and the prices high, go to Tamarind. Locals will know better places than will I. I have never found a good pub in London, so if you do, pass it on.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on the upcoming wedding!
Have you posted pics of what you'll be wearing?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
So me and the soon-to-be Mrs Awesome are going on our honeymoon at end of the year....5 days in Rome, 5 in Paris, then 4 in London.

Any travel tips for that time of year in those places?

What's the weather like? Most importantly, what kind of shoes are good to pack, not good to bring? Is the weather poor enough to make it a good idea to leave any good shoes at home?

Just how expensive is to eat decently in those cities nowadays with our crap exchange rate?

Will a shirt, sweater, jacket, overcoat and scarf be warm enough?

thanks!

Wow, great trip!
My wife and I went to these same cities last year for the month of December. The weather can be cold but nothing that you can't handle with multiple layers. Most of the time I wore jeans, nice shoes, a thin cashmere sweater and a corduroy or wool jacket with gloves and a scarf. (You will see many more guys wearing cool scarves and it might even be a fun item to buy for both you and your future bride. My wife has a few Hermes scarfs she has purchased over the years and they become keepsake reminders of trips to Europe.) Take an umbrella and an overcoat just in case it gets really cold. One thing I noticed was the stores and museums all have their heat up high. So, layering was really the way to go.

As far as leaving your good shoes at home, I would take your two most comfortable pairs of shoes and rotate them. I guarantee you will walk more in these cities than just about anywhere in the world. I took two nice pairs of shoes, a dark tan leather and a dark brown suede brogue with a rubber sole. I got a lot of comments on them (mostly from guys). I think you will be evaluated more on the shoes you wear in these cities than just about anywhere else in the world. BTW, in Paris HESCHUNG has several stores around the city and makes great, stylish, rubber soled shoes
at decent prices. I have bought two pairs now and the selection in their Paris stores are so much better than anywhere in the US.

In London, food is VERY expensive. The locals save money by eating Chinese and Lebanese food. In Rome you can always find a delicious pizza and gellato. In Paris, you will find bistros with daily specials.

For hotels, go onto tripadvisor.com. They rank hotels for each city and the ranking is excellent.

Get a copy of TIME OUT for each city. I find that to be the all around best summery of what to do. By going in December you get the benefit of the off season. You can go into any museum at the last minute, never wait in line, get a train anywhere, etc. I love a December trip and I hope you will too! Have a great time.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
thanks for the rec's so far....yea we don't plan to eat *too* ghetto so a restaurant that has chairs and a table are in mind
smile.gif

David/TerryLean/JackSparrow from FNB suggest pubs in London as well for a "british experience" so we'll have to give that at least one try. Perhaps we'll stumble in on the "Feisty Goat"

Philosophe, I'm making myself a midnite blue one button suit, groomsmen in one button grey (alternating between mid and charcoal, as the bridesmaids are alternating in 2 shades of teal)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads