or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Let's compare our countries
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Let's compare our countries

post #1 of 46
Thread Starter 
In France most popular, famous brands, brands EVERYBODY (the biggest part of people) will quote as among the best, are : (for men) Armani Cerruti Boss Versace Kenzo (for shoes also..&#33 Weston Cardin Nothing about : Keaton, Oxxford, Barbera... (I discovered here) Green, Grenson (discovered here) Aubercy (discovered on the web) H&K, H&H (discovered in London) Charvet (I realize how nice this brand was buy reading here&#33 Arny's (discovered on the web) And what are the most popular brands in your country?
post #2 of 46
Armani, Gucci, Prada, and Versace. 90% of the population knows nothing beyond these brands in terms of high-fashion or fine tailoring. Sadly some people think that Kenneth Cole is the height of fashion and a "designer" label.
post #3 of 46
As a 25 year old American (pointed out purely for demographic reasons), before I moved to NYC, the brand names I targeted were Kenneth Cole, DKNY and Banana Republic. Huge Boss, Prada, Thomas Pink and Armani were labels we (my friends and I) aspired to. Fortunately, it didn't take long to come to my senses. To this day, most of the people I work with would prefer a Thomas Pink shirt to a H&K one (if given the option as a gift) because Thomas Pink .... is ..... just .... so .... cool (and H&K has no marketing).
post #4 of 46
l attend alot of Australian fashion shows; sadly all the clothing is very ordinary quality. People rave about Wayne Cooper, Pierre Cardin (a disgrace), Gwyndoline, Boss, Studio italia, Roy, versace, armani, mooks etc. The fashion crowd wouldn't know quality it it slapped them upside of the head. They are a tryhard pathetic group of people: very ego-tistical. People rave about Cardin suits but they are so poorly fitting. Very few people know what Borrelli or Brioni is. Collette Dinagin is our top designer, she is brilliant and world class. SHOES Florsheim, Rivers, Windsor Smith, Lloyds and Aquila are the most popular dress shoes (all glued soled shoes that last 5 minutes). Loake is reserved for lawyers. Not many have Loake; it's one of the best shoes you will see on aussie footpaths. (The best shoes l have seen on aussie footpaths are my own). Our top shoes are: artioli, C&J, church's, Grenson regular, borrelli, santoni, stefano Bi, and handmade shoes. We also have magli, moreshci and aldo brue. (l hardly ever see these shoes on the street). R.M.Williams is becoming really popular.
post #5 of 46
London (most popular for young men these days): G&H Dior Homme Gucci Duffer Versace Pink Hacket Moschino D&G Middle Age: Zegna Armani Boss Fendi Brioni H&H Old (50+): G&H Versace Hermes Shoes: Young: Prada Sport Cesare Paciotti Gucci Camper Birkenstocks Dior Homme Puma Middle Aged: Gucci Cesare Paciotti Salvatore Ferragamo Rocco P. Sergio Rossi Oliver Sweeny Tim Little Russel and Bromley Old : Lobb Berluti Crockett and Jones Barker Royal Windsor Grenson Cleverly New and Lingwood Church's
post #6 of 46
There isn't much in the way of style in Korea that no one else has done better, honestly. I mean, you have the domestic companies turning out some nice suits and all, but they run towards the sack side of the spectrum. As for casual wear, think your basic Asian street-pop stuff, but more conservative: we don't get the micro-minis here like Japan does. And shoes? Let's not get into those. The vast majority of people here don't care for shoe horns, instead ruining the backs of their shoes by repeated squashing and stomping on them. In other words, it's just like any other country, I guess.
post #7 of 46
Thread Starter 
Quote:
There isn't much in the way of style in Korea that no one else has done better, honestly. I mean, you have the domestic companies turning out some nice suits and all, but they run towards the sack side of the spectrum. As for casual wear, think your basic Asian street-pop stuff, but more conservative: we don't get the micro-minis here like Japan does. And shoes? Let's not get into those. The vast majority of people here don't care for shoe horns, instead ruining the backs of their shoes by repeated squashing and stomping on them. In other words, it's just like any other country, I guess.
You did a good job in Athena.....
post #8 of 46
Thread Starter 
Come on guys.... What people like in your country?
post #9 of 46
Quote:
Come on guys.... What people like in your country?
Guy = French name, no? Guys = Perhaps plural (For others, you will have to read the Boss Suits thread to understand) Just kidding.
post #10 of 46
I'm a college student, so I'm mostly talking about college students here. I have no idea what fashion is like in the business / professional field. Guys like: Lacoste Seven for All Mankind Von Dutch Abercrombie & Fitch FCUK Kenneth Cole Shoes: Diesel Diesel Diesel Diesel Kenneth Cole Diesel
post #11 of 46
Germany: In the small towns and the countryside the quality of clothing is not very elegant or fashionable. In bigger cities like Hamburg, Berlin, Munich, Frankfurt a. M. most of the people tend to dress very elegant regarding to their family background and the regional influences (you might find a Janker in Munich very often (sometimes as part of a dress for a formal occassion), in Hamburg you will find the single brested or Navy blazer as a dress for nearly every occassion (with cinos, flannels, jeans etc.) The shoes or often of bad quality and not many men wear goodyear welted shoes. The average german men wear LLoyds shoes and BOSS suits for business. People in Hamburg (businessmen) tend to give more attention to their shoes. I often see John Lobbs, C & J, van Bommel, Santoni, Hermes etc. on their feet. Sadly I have to say that in most areas Germany is a country which could be more elegant, more fahionable...
post #12 of 46
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Germany: In the small towns and the countryside the quality of clothing is not very elegant or fashionable. In bigger cities like Hamburg, Berlin, Munich, Frankfurt a. M. most of the people tend to dress very elegant regarding to their family background and the regional influences (you might find a Janker in Munich very often (sometimes as part of a dress for a formal occassion), in Hamburg you will find the single brested or Navy blazer as a dress for nearly every occassion (with cinos, flannels, jeans etc.) The shoes or often of bad quality and not many men wear goodyear welted shoes. The average german men wear LLoyds shoes and BOSS suits for business. People in Hamburg (businessmen) tend to give more attention to their shoes. I often see John Lobbs, C & J, van Bommel, Santoni, Hermes etc. on their feet. Sadly I have to say that in most areas Germany is a country which could be more elegant, more fahionable...
In France, German have reputation to dress like peasants. And it is true that german tourists are easy to reconize in Paris = sandals with socks (often white cheap for sport), t shirts with no sleeves or flower/ou of fashion shirts with no sleeves bermuda shorts But german garments seem to be very strong. You best brands seem to be Adidas and Puma.
post #13 of 46
Quote:
In France, German have reputation to dress like peasants. And it is true that german tourists are easy to reconize in Paris = sandals with socks (often white cheap for sport), t shirts with no sleeves or flower/ou of fashion shirts with no sleeves bermuda shorts But german garments seem to be very strong. You best brands seem to be Adidas and Puma.
Don't forgot Hugo Boss. Jil Sander while of German origin is linked more with Italy. Especially with Prada's acquisition. There is also Strenesse.
post #14 of 46
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Quote:
In France, German have reputation to dress like peasants. And it is true that german tourists are easy to reconize in Paris = sandals with socks (often white cheap for sport), t shirts with no sleeves or flower/ou of fashion shirts with no sleeves bermuda shorts But german garments seem to be very strong. You best brands seem to be Adidas and Puma.
Don't forgot Hugo Boss. Jil Sander while of German origin is linked more with Italy. Especially with Prada's acquisition. There is also Strenesse.
These brands are unknown in France. Boss is a trap for poor teenagers dreaming to dress like guy from upper classes. Puma or Adidas are references. Not Boss.
post #15 of 46
Quote:
Germany: . . . Sadly I have to say that in most areas Germany is a country which could be more elegant, more fahionable...
Whatever we might think of German militarism from a political or humane standpoint, the influence of German uniforms on other lands from early in the nineteenth century has been strong, and not only on the military uniforms of foreign nations (my own country, the United States, still uses dress and undress uniforms originally inspired by German models). And the comfortable middle classes a century ago, whether in Berlin or other cities or even in the countryside, displayed a care and balance in their dress that were equal to what one would have seen in England or America. Germans clearly have as much innate sartorial sense as any other nation. Perhaps it will in future be more thoughtfully applied.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Let's compare our countries