or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Truman Boots
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Truman Boots - Page 69

post #1021 of 1413
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirKrimzon View Post
 

how can it seep through such light rain man?

 

In my experience these leathers are not as waterproof as we might like them to be.  Certainly water seeps through my CXL boots pretty easily.  I remember some feathers getting ruffled on the old OSB board when I posted that my boots had soaked through a bit after about 20 minutes in light rain, cause claims had been made about how "waterproof" the leather was.  But it's just not.  (And it's not just OSB -- I have Alden and White's in CXL, and it seems about the same.  In your case it looks like the water soaked through right where you'd expect, on the front of toe where water keeps hitting when you walk, even in a light rain.  In fact, I'd say they did pretty well for an hour in the rain...

post #1022 of 1413
Quote:
Originally Posted by linafelt View Post
 

 

In my experience these leathers are not as waterproof as we might like them to be.  Certainly water seeps through my CXL boots pretty easily.  I remember some feathers getting ruffled on the old OSB board when I posted that my boots had soaked through a bit after about 20 minutes in light rain, cause claims had been made about how "waterproof" the leather was.  But it's just not.  (And it's not just OSB -- I have Alden and White's in CXL, and it seems about the same.  In your case it looks like the water soaked through right where you'd expect, on the front of toe where water keeps hitting when you walk, even in a light rain.  In fact, I'd say they did pretty well for an hour in the rain...

Thank you so much for an intelligent reply my friend. So what you saw in my pictures is not uncommon for high quality stitched boots (ie: oak street, alden, truman, viberg) is what you are saying? Also, do you have a link to the post about the oak street boots? I would love to read that. Can I ask how you personally deal with the annoying feeling of water on your toes during a light rain? I know obviously we would shoe tree them at home.

post #1023 of 1413
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirKrimzon View Post

Thank you so much for an intelligent reply my friend. So what you saw in my pictures is not uncommon for high quality stitched boots (ie: oak street, alden, truman, viberg) is what you are saying? Also, do you have a link to the post about the oak street boots? I would love to read that. Can I ask how you personally deal with the annoying feeling of water on your toes during a light rain? I know obviously we would shoe tree them at home.

Yes I think that's pretty standard. The old OSB thread was shut down, and I think no longer available. Mostly I try to keep my boots dry! Sometimes if they get too wet, I will take them off at work and let them dry out a bit.
post #1024 of 1413
I've worn my OSBs (CXL), Alden's (calf), Trumans (waxed flesh), and Vibergs (chromepak) in light to heavy rain and have never had an issue with water seeping in.
post #1025 of 1413
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemononame View Post

Thinking about getting a pair of Truman derbies with the reltex lactae country soles.  Anyone gotten a pair of with this sole?  Like, no like?   It looks quite thick and squishy. 

I have some with those soles, and I'm not a fan. They're very heavy, for one, and indeed very squishy. I feel a bit unstable, actually, when I wear them.
post #1026 of 1413
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsgleason View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemononame View Post

Thinking about getting a pair of Truman derbies with the reltex lactae country soles.  Anyone gotten a pair of with this sole?  Like, no like?   It looks quite thick and squishy. 

I have some with those soles, and I'm not a fan. They're very heavy, for one, and indeed very squishy. I feel a bit unstable, actually, when I wear them.

mine have firmed up some and i posted earlier i felt the studs are way to far towards the middle of the boot..making me feel a bit wobly
post #1027 of 1413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna75 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsgleason View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemononame View Post

Thinking about getting a pair of Truman derbies with the reltex lactae country soles.  Anyone gotten a pair of with this sole?  Like, no like?   It looks quite thick and squishy. 

I have some with those soles, and I'm not a fan. They're very heavy, for one, and indeed very squishy. I feel a bit unstable, actually, when I wear them.

mine have firmed up some and i posted earlier i felt the studs are way to far towards the middle of the boot..making me feel a bit wobly

Yes, that's how I feel exactly about the wobbliness.
post #1028 of 1413
Does anyone have a comparison picture of the regular cap toe and perforated cap toe?
post #1029 of 1413
Quote:
Originally Posted by linafelt View Post

In my experience these leathers are not as waterproof as we might like them to be.  Certainly water seeps through my CXL boots pretty easily.  I remember some feathers getting ruffled on the old OSB board when I posted that my boots had soaked through a bit after about 20 minutes in light rain, cause claims had been made about how "waterproof" the leather was.  But it's just not.  (And it's not just OSB -- I have Alden and White's in CXL, and it seems about the same.  In your case it looks like the water soaked through right where you'd expect, on the front of toe where water keeps hitting when you walk, even in a light rain.  In fact, I'd say they did pretty well for an hour in the rain...

This is one of those areas where practicality and appearance are somewhat at odds. If you want any footwear of this style and construction method to be truly waterproof without a DWR membrane layer then you need to be waxing your boots with something like Obenhaufs or SnoSeal. That is what they are for, and why the exist in this world, and why traditional boot makers like Galibier even use pitch and wax to seal stitching from the factory. These products make the leather duller and show less variation in color that we love, and are overkill for many, which is why they aren't commonly recommended around here.

I'm just honest with myself on each pair of boots - do I want them to develop an instagram patina for nights on the town, or will I actually be walking around in the mud and snow and water with them, and then treat them accordingly. I still love the look of my Obenhauf'd boots, it is just a different look than my "nicer" boots.
post #1030 of 1413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exalted_One View Post

Does anyone have a comparison picture of the regular cap toe and perforated cap toe?

This isn't the same leather obviously, but here's perforated on my coyote roughout versus regular captoe on my madone. The other difference is the Madone has a structured toe.

post #1031 of 1413
^^^ Thanks Matthew!
post #1032 of 1413

Likely too early but anyone receive their Marrone derbies?  

post #1033 of 1413
Navy shell out for delivery!
post #1034 of 1413
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeinabox View Post

Likely too early but anyone receive their Marrone derbies?  

Placed my order 7/12, so I should have another month or so to wait I'd guess.
post #1035 of 1413
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeinabox View Post

Likely too early but anyone receive their Marrone derbies?  
. Stop - I'm trying to keep them out of my mind...
(I think it is mid-late Oct. for the first batch of everything goes well)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Truman Boots