or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Ultimate Toronto Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Ultimate Toronto Thread - Page 214

post #3196 of 4637
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGimpy View Post


No, sorry. I didn't think to take any since there wasn't anything remarkable about their condition. I had, however, worn completely through the sole under the ball of one foot.
The flush toe taps were done at my request and cost extra, of course. But I wear through the toe of my soles much more quickly than anywhere else.

It's good to know there is someone who can do good work locally instead of having to send the shoes back to the factory for resoling. How is the quality and selection of soles he has on hand? Does he have the likes of JR, Dainite, and Tomir? And how much is a resole without the toe taps if you don't mind?

 

On a side note it's interesting how he attached the toe taps without screws, which is what I see from most makers. 

post #3197 of 4637
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADub View Post

It's good to know there is someone who can do good work locally instead of having to send the shoes back to the factory for resoling. How is the quality and selection of soles he has on hand? Does he have the likes of JR, Dainite, and Tomir? And how much is a resole without the toe taps if you don't mind?

On a side note it's interesting how he attached the toe taps without screws, which is what I see from most makers. 


I really wanted to avoid sending them to the UK, too. But this was not a full recraft; the welt was apparently in good condition so the shoes only needed the layers of sole removed down to the welt and new layers added. I think the resole is around $140 without taps.

Not sure about availability of other sole types but the guys were pleasant to deal with so I'd recommend speaking with them directly.
post #3198 of 4637
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGimpy View Post


I really wanted to avoid sending them to the UK, too. But this was not a full recraft; the welt was apparently in good condition so the shoes only needed the layers of sole removed down to the welt and new layers added. I think the resole is around $140 without taps.

Not sure about availability of other sole types but the guys were pleasant to deal with so I'd recommend speaking with them directly.

I believe that's the proper way to repair stacked soles: only the worn out layers are replaced. The price also seems right plus you save on not having to pay for shipping. How long was the turnaround?

 

I'm still years away from having to replace any of my soles but will definitely give them a shout when I do. Keep us posted on how the resole fares over time!

post #3199 of 4637
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGimpy View Post


No, sorry. I didn't think to take any since there wasn't anything remarkable about their condition. I had, however, worn completely through the sole under the ball of one foot.
The flush toe taps were done at my request and cost extra, of course. But I wear through the toe of my soles much more quickly than anywhere else.

 

How much were the flush toe taps, if you don't mind me asking? Thanks!

post #3200 of 4637
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADub View Post
 

It's good to know there is someone who can do good work locally instead of having to send the shoes back to the factory for resoling. How is the quality and selection of soles he has on hand? Does he have the likes of JR, Dainite, and Tomir? And how much is a resole without the toe taps if you don't mind?

 

On a side note it's interesting how he attached the toe taps without screws, which is what I see from most makers. 

Ivor of Woolridge Shoes can do recrafting too for 150 CAD a pair. His leather soles look exactly like Loake 1880 just without the words. 

post #3201 of 4637
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADub View Post

It's good to know there is someone who can do good work locally instead of having to send the shoes back to the factory for resoling. How is the quality and selection of soles he has on hand? Does he have the likes of JR, Dainite, and Tomir? And how much is a resole without the toe taps if you don't mind?

On a side note it's interesting how he attached the toe taps without screws, which is what I see from most makers. 

They have Vibram soles, not Dainite.
post #3202 of 4637
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGimpy View Post

I think the resole is around $140 without taps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nqtri View Post
 

Ivor of Woolridge Shoes can do recrafting too for 150 CAD a pair. 

 

Are these prices before of after taxes? Novelty's price is $125+tax for Goodyear welted soles. I heard Nick's uses a Blake machine. Does anyone know if one method of sole repair can be performed more times than the other? Cheers.

post #3203 of 4637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spex View Post
 

 

Are these prices before of after taxes? Novelty's price is $125+tax for Goodyear welted soles. I heard Nick's uses a Blake machine. Does anyone know if one method of sole repair can be performed more times than the other? Cheers.

I'm not sure, didn't clarify that. I just know Ivor used to work for Dack's so he knows the guy who used to perform recrafting for Dack's shoes here. Perhaps give him a call. Extremely nice and helpful guy!

post #3204 of 4637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spex View Post

Are these prices before of after taxes? Novelty's price is $125+tax for Goodyear welted soles. I heard Nick's uses a Blake machine. Does anyone know if one method of sole repair can be performed more times than the other? Cheers.

The price I gave was before tax at Nick's. And the flush toe taps were $25 plus tax.

I drop into Novelty fairly regularly for supplies but haven't always been thrilled with their repair services. When I asked them to install flush toe taps on a pair of shoes (which they assured me they could do), they simply screwed metal taps onto the surface of the sole. That experience was the main reason I wanted to try someone else this time.
post #3205 of 4637
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGimpy View Post


The price I gave was before tax at Nick's. And the flush toe taps were $25 plus tax.

I drop into Novelty fairly regularly for supplies but haven't always been thrilled with their repair services. When I asked them to install flush toe taps on a pair of shoes (which they assured me they could do), they simply screwed metal taps onto the surface of the sole. That experience was the main reason I wanted to try someone else this time.

 

How does Nick's install the toe taps? It looks like they don't use screws from the pictures.

I need to install toe taps on 2 pairs so I'm curious as to how he does it.

post #3206 of 4637
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanchri View Post

How does Nick's install the toe taps? It looks like they don't use screws from the pictures.
I need to install toe taps on 2 pairs so I'm curious as to how he does it.

Not sure. My guess is that they're cemented on but I didn't ask.
post #3207 of 4637
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickInTO View Post


They have Vibram soles, not Dainite.

That makes sense. I've heard that Dainite is extremely hard to come by and you pretty much have to send the shoes back to the manufacturer to get it. 

post #3208 of 4637

Just a X post from our thread: I thought it would be appropriate here as well for those in the city.

 

Gentleman,

 

I am very proud to announce the new downtown Toronto shop is up and running.

 

Keep in mind there are still a bunch of small things still to complete, but we will be open for business. Our full line up of suits, shirts, ties as well as the complete custom selection will be available.

 

Hope to see some of you guys there. Just drop in and say hi.

 

We'll be open from 10 am - 7 pm.

 

20 Toronto St.
2 blocks east of Yonge, just north of King St.

 

This is a really big step for us and an incredibly exciting time for everyone at SPIER & MACKAY.

 

Best Regards,
Rick Khanna

post #3209 of 4637
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiermackay View Post
 

Just a X post from our thread: I thought it would be appropriate here as well for those in the city.

 

Gentleman,

 

I am very proud to announce the new downtown Toronto shop is up and running.

 

Keep in mind there are still a bunch of small things still to complete, but we will be open for business. Our full line up of suits, shirts, ties as well as the complete custom selection will be available.

 

Hope to see some of you guys there. Just drop in and say hi.

 

We'll be open from 10 am - 7 pm.

 

20 Toronto St.
2 blocks east of Yonge, just north of King St.

 

This is a really big step for us and an incredibly exciting time for everyone at SPIER & MACKAY.

 

Best Regards,
Rick Khanna

Congrats I have been looking forward to the downtown store for a while. Are you open 10-7 7 days a week?

post #3210 of 4637
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADub View Post
 

Congrats I have been looking forward to the downtown store for a while. Are you open 10-7 7 days a week?


 Thanks.

 

10-7 Mon-Fri

10-5 Sat

11-4 Sun

 

Those are the starting hours, but may change as we figure out our traffic flow.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Ultimate Toronto Thread