or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Ultimate Toronto Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Ultimate Toronto Thread - Page 180

post #2686 of 4444
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatterbrain View Post

I noticed them. 

Is it just me, or do they have a long toe box? I don't like creasing on the box...

I would wait until people post more pics and reviews. They look good but I'm not going to pay $500 for a shoe. Ship it to someone in the USA if you know your size then have them ship it over here with no duty.

I've done this so many times with AE. You just save a few bucks but unlike the internet I'm not a baller

Edit. How do people feel about loding shoes?
post #2687 of 4444
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7_rocket View Post

I would wait until people post more pics and reviews. They look good but I'm not going to pay $500 for a shoe. Ship it to someone in the USA if you know your size then have them ship it over here with no duty.

I've done this so many times with AE. You just save a few bucks but unlike the internet I'm not a baller

Edit. How do people feel about loding shoes?

US price on them is 350$ or 490$ CAD. You're not saving anything.

Now for Bonafe you'd save about 200$
post #2688 of 4444
Why do you think that if someone from US shipped you a brand new pair of shoes you would not get hit with duties ? What you could do is ship it to aome one in Quebec and only pay GST, thus screw Ontario out of their portion of HST
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7_rocket View Post

I would wait until people post more pics and reviews. They look good but I'm not going to pay $500 for a shoe. Ship it to someone in the USA if you know your size then have them ship it over here with no duty.

I've done this so many times with AE. You just save a few bucks but unlike the internet I'm not a baller

Edit. How do people feel about loding shoes?
post #2689 of 4444
too bad these arent 9.5UK otherwise i would totally kop them
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatterbrain View Post

I am shoe shopping this weekend. So thanks!

edit: Shell Carmina in my size for $500!!!

Navy single monks are too flashy for me. But man, what a price!
http://www.leatherfoot.com/navy-shell-single-monk/dp/1251
post #2690 of 4444
Quote:
Originally Posted by simondg View Post

Anyone have any experience with have something rewoven in T.O.? I have a suit that needs work on one of its sleeves.

Do we have a good reweaver in town, or is this strictly a send away kind of thing?

I've read good things about Cheeseworth's Invisible Mending over on Mount Pleasant, but I have no first hand experience. They were mentioned in some new articles either in the Toronto Star or Toronto Life a few years ago. It might be worth checking out if they're still around.
post #2691 of 4444
Has anyone here ordered clothing from Europe - from the UK, or Italy specifically? I'm thinking about ordering a leather jacket from retailers located in either country and my shipping choices are FedEx from the UK retailer (although I might be able to convince them to use OCS or Royal Mail instead), or UPS Express from the Italian retailer. The jacket is the same brand and cost at either store ($1000 CDN) so it comes down to the courier company that they'll use. Any thoughts?

Picking FedEx or UPS is like getting shot or poisoned. It's going to be bad either way.
post #2692 of 4444
Quote:
Originally Posted by CutandSew View Post

Has anyone here ordered clothing from Europe - from the UK, or Italy specifically? I'm thinking about ordering a leather jacket from retailers located in either country and my shipping choices are FedEx from the UK retailer (although I might be able to convince them to use OCS or Royal Mail instead), or UPS Express from the Italian retailer. The jacket is the same brand and cost at either store ($1000 CDN) so it comes down to the courier company that they'll use. Any thoughts?

Picking FedEx or UPS is like getting shot or poisoned. It's going to be bad either way.

Here is my experience, although it is few cases, so statistically insignificant.

I once ordered some knits from John Smedley, they sent via DHL, I paid a lot for duties, tax and handling. Was really painful.
Recently bought a Corneliani suit from UK retailer on huge discount (go figure :-) ), he sent with Royal Mail with free shipping, it was delivered by Canada Post to my door, no additional cost.
Another jacket from US seller (Belvest, so made in Italy), through USPS/CanPost, only HST charged...

So, if they can send by national Post service, it will go through Canada Post, which is less likely to carry additional cost, but ni guarantees.
post #2693 of 4444

Anyone notice the significant price hike Brooks Brothers just made on the EG Galways? 

 

Wish BB would just have a site with CDN pricing. The sticker shock when you surf online and then go in store is off putting.

post #2694 of 4444
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLinStyle View Post

too bad these arent 9.5UK otherwise i would totally kop them


They are actually 10.5 UK (Carmina sizes in UK) and were down to $400 in the sale at leatherfoot today ...their website prices rarely reflect their snap sales.

 

I went in today and they had a couple of pairs of J fitzpatrick, some Rider boots, some St Crispins and five or six pairs of carmina in the 60% off, last pairs, sale....even though it was like Siberia in yorkville today there were three customers in Leatherfoot when i was there...busier than i have ever seen it before.

 

I thought the Fitzpatricks were good looking shoes (Blue suede, around UK10.5 and they had another pair of brogues in a smaller size)...but very very light. ~$250 though.

The Rider boots were ~$450 lots of larger sizes (11+)

I didn't look at the Crispins...thats too rich for my blood but the Carminas were where the best deals were.

post #2695 of 4444

Leatherfoot's instagram shows that they've received their shipment of Alden's!

post #2696 of 4444
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLinStyle View Post

Why do you think that if someone from US shipped you a brand new pair of shoes you would not get hit with duties ? What you could do is ship it to aome one in Quebec and only pay GST, thus screw Ontario out of their portion of HST

I';ve done this many times. smile.gif
post #2697 of 4444
Ask a retailer to put a lower value on the customs declaration, let's say their cost not retail price. Whichever vendor agrees gonwith them, the alternative could be HST, plus duty up to 18% plus handling fees,plus HST on handling fee, easily all totaling 30%.

There are many vendors that ship stuff to Canada with the duties prepaid, you should inquire and you might be pleasantly surprised
Quote:
Originally Posted by CutandSew View Post

Has anyone here ordered clothing from Europe - from the UK, or Italy specifically? I'm thinking about ordering a leather jacket from retailers located in either country and my shipping choices are FedEx from the UK retailer (although I might be able to convince them to use OCS or Royal Mail instead), or UPS Express from the Italian retailer. The jacket is the same brand and cost at either store ($1000 CDN) so it comes down to the courier company that they'll use. Any thoughts?

Picking FedEx or UPS is like getting shot or poisoned. It's going to be bad either way.
post #2698 of 4444
Thanks. I am aware that Carmina is using UK sizing and I did mention that I am 9.5UK . unfortunately my size is rarely on sales. The last time I saw my size on sale was when ShoeMart was liquidating all their Carmina stock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deoraby View Post


They are actually 10.5 UK (Carmina sizes in UK) and were down to $400 in the sale at leatherfoot today ...their website prices rarely reflect their snap sales.

I went in today and they had a couple of pairs of J fitzpatrick, some Rider boots, some St Crispins and five or six pairs of carmina in the 60% off, last pairs, sale....even though it was like Siberia in yorkville today there were three customers in Leatherfoot when i was there...busier than i have ever seen it before.

I thought the Fitzpatricks were good looking shoes (Blue suede, around UK10.5 and they had another pair of brogues in a smaller size)...but very very light. ~$250 though.
The Rider boots were ~$450 lots of larger sizes (11+)
I didn't look at the Crispins...thats too rich for my blood but the Carminas were where the best deals were.
post #2699 of 4444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deoraby View Post
 


They are actually 10.5 UK (Carmina sizes in UK) and were down to $400 in the sale at leatherfoot today ...their website prices rarely reflect their snap sales.

 

I went in today and they had a couple of pairs of J fitzpatrick, some Rider boots, some St Crispins and five or six pairs of carmina in the 60% off, last pairs, sale....even though it was like Siberia in yorkville today there were three customers in Leatherfoot when i was there...busier than i have ever seen it before.

 

I thought the Fitzpatricks were good looking shoes (Blue suede, around UK10.5 and they had another pair of brogues in a smaller size)...but very very light. ~$250 though.

The Rider boots were ~$450 lots of larger sizes (11+)

I didn't look at the Crispins...thats too rich for my blood but the Carminas were where the best deals were.

 

I've looked at the Fitzpatricks too and the sole is very well done with channeled stitching. For $250 I'd say that's a good deal for the quality. The St Crispin's and JL last pairs are a good deal if you are shopping in that price range, especially for St Crispin's. Agreed that the Carminas represent the best deal, especially in shell. 

post #2700 of 4444
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatterbrain View Post


I am shoe shopping this weekend. So thanks!

edit: Shell Carmina in my size for $500!!!

Navy single monks are too flashy for me. But man, what a price!
http://www.leatherfoot.com/navy-shell-single-monk/dp/1251

My pleasure. If you do end up getting something I think the rest of the forum would be interested to see what you kopped. :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Ultimate Toronto Thread