or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Ultimate Toronto Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Ultimate Toronto Thread - Page 166

post #2476 of 4440

Wow! I suppose it makes sense though, they have a local website and all. You need to protect your suppliers.

post #2477 of 4440
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADub View Post

Considering Loake is $525 there Cheaney has to be at least $6-700. I did ask him about boots and for Cheaney you are looking at $700 and up for sure.

Cheaney starts at $625-$650 at Ivor's. Holt's is more expensive.
post #2478 of 4440
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiggyv View Post

Wanted to stop in and give Ivor at Woolridge shoes my highest recommend. He was very patient with me trying on multiple lasts and sizes and helped me narrow down my size in the Loake Kempton. Unfortunately, I personally couldn't justify a purchase with him as his prices are very high compared to Pediwear and Herring. However, if you want to avoid the troubles of international shipping then he should be your first stop for Loake and Cheaney purchases.

Not to be difficult, but how can you give him your highest recommendation when you didn't even buy anything from him? You used his store to try on lasts.
post #2479 of 4440
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADub View Post


Considering Loake is $525 there Cheaney has to be at least $6-700. I did ask him about boots and for Cheaney you are looking at $700 and up for sure.

 

I was shopping specifically for Loake Kempton's. Ivor quoted me $600 for those, and told me the Cheaney equivalent would be closer to $800. Ended up ordering from Pediwear last night, was $280CDN all in.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7_rocket View Post

Just a FYI. After this month no UK retailer will be able to send Loake shoes to the USA or Canada.

Pediwear just announced it over at the loake appreciation thread

 

Terrible news, glad I made my Kempton purchase last night. Loake's are too expensive locally so that will be the extent of my Loake collection sadly. 

post #2480 of 4440
Do you get hit with duties/tax with purchase of one tie from Sam Hober?
post #2481 of 4440
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksdb View Post

Do you get hit with duties/tax with purchase of one tie from Sam Hober?

I did. The tie was sent with DHL and they never miss a chance to hit you with duty, taxes and a handling fee.
post #2482 of 4440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duppy View Post


The sale is still going on, as part of the sidewalk sales in the PATH.

 

Thank you for letting me know - I think I got a great price on a Briggs & Reilly medium hardcase with the 30% off today.

post #2483 of 4440
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs77 View Post
 

I wish happy and successful 2016 to everyone!

 

Not strictly "Classic menswear", but what would be good place in Toronto for buying jeans? I'm looking for a B&M shop, close to downtown, that has good selection of various brands, and where I can spend time trying things on so that I can find exactly what I'm looking for. Plus, if someone has a recommendation for a brand/model that is reasonably slim in the legs (not skinny) and has a higher rise (so it doesn't sit on half my ass)?

 

Thanks

 

Since lot of you were very helpful with my question regarding high rise slim(er) jeans, I wanted to provide an update on the quest, just in case someone is looking for something similar.

 

So, Dutil did the trick, I got Levi's Made & Crafted Tack Slim model, and it really fits the bill of higher rise and slim - maybe somewhat too slim in thighs, but still OK. They had a seasonal discount, so I got these for $50, which is amazing deal, I think.

The other model that looks good is Levi's 522.

 

Someone mentioned Uncle Otis, they also carry M&C, but didn't have anything in my size. However, I managed to get pair of OrSlow army cargo pants at half price, and these are sooo cool :slayer:

 

So thanks to everyone for recommendations. 

post #2484 of 4440
Quote:
Originally Posted by othertravel View Post


Not to be difficult, but how can you give him your highest recommendation when you didn't even buy anything from him? You used his store to try on lasts.

 

Because you don't need to make a purchase to experience good customer service. He was knowledgeable, friendly, and patient while I tried to find the right fit. Me not purchasing anything has everything to do with his pricing - I expected to pay a little more than Pediwear but double the price isn't in my budget. I made note of the pricing here to make sure others know that walking in. 

post #2485 of 4440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cityplace View Post
 

 

Thanks for this - the tanking CAD makes me sad....

It's a bad time to buy from international sellers but a good time to sell: you have a better chance to break even or even make some profit.

post #2486 of 4440
Quote:
Originally Posted by othertravel View Post


Cheaney starts at $625-$650 at Ivor's. Holt's is more expensive.

Has anyone owned both Cheaney and C&J bench grade or Carmina and could offer a comparison between the three in terms of quality since they are very close in terms of price? Ivor mentioned that his customers who have owned both Cheaney and Carmina find the Cheaney to age better so I'm curious if others can corroborate.

post #2487 of 4440
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiggyv View Post
 

 

I was shopping specifically for Loake Kempton's. Ivor quoted me $600 for those, and told me the Cheaney equivalent would be closer to $800. Ended up ordering from Pediwear last night, was $280CDN all in.

 

 

 

Terrible news, glad I made my Kempton purchase last night. Loake's are too expensive locally so that will be the extent of my Loake collection sadly. 

$280 is a very fair price for Loake 1880 considering how much AE costs now. If anyone is interested I know there is a pair each of the black and burgundy BBBF captoe wingtip in size 8 left at Brooks Brothers in RBC Place and the blue pebble grain sneakers in 7.5 and 8. 

post #2488 of 4440


never owned Carmina but i have four pairs of Cheaney (two under their own name, a third made for Paul Smith Heritage and finally a pair of Zug leather Hoggs of Fife boots) and around eight pairs of C&J...most under their own name but three BBBF.  I head home to the UK once a year and often buy a pair or two from the C&J factory shop.

 

Personally i find C&J much better in terms of manufacture....the leathers seem the same as cheaney to my uneducated eye but the construction with C&J is a level above.

 

The two pairs of Cheaneys made under license (PS and Hoggs of Fife) are much better quality than those under their own name (one of which were a poorly made corrected grain).

 

The C&Js haven't been without their problems (a monk strap ripped off a pair of the Lowndes Suede and a pair of Harrogate scotch grain shoes are never going to break in regardless of how many years i persevere with them) but on the whole they are as good a shoe as it gets (or as good as i am willing to pay)...

 

I Keep thinking about Carmina, particularly the shell ones in the sale in Leatherfoot but i can source such good deals on C&J, Churchs etc through the UK factory shops and latterly through the BB Black Fleece clearance that Carmina really can't be justified.

post #2489 of 4440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deoraby View Post


never owned Carmina but i have four pairs of Cheaney (two under their own name, a third made for Paul Smith Heritage and finally a pair of Zug leather Hoggs of Fife boots) and around eight pairs of C&J...most under their own name but three BBBF.  I head home to the UK once a year and often buy a pair or two from the C&J factory shop.

Personally i find C&J much better in terms of manufacture....the leathers seem the same as cheaney to my uneducated eye but the construction with C&J is a level above.

The two pairs of Cheaneys made under license (PS and Hoggs of Fife) are much better quality than those under their own name (one of which were a poorly made corrected grain).

The C&Js haven't been without their problems (a monk strap ripped off a pair of the Lowndes Suede and a pair of Harrogate scotch grain shoes are never going to break in regardless of how many years i persevere with them) but on the whole they are as good a shoe as it gets (or as good as i am willing to pay)...

I Keep thinking about Carmina, particularly the shell ones in the sale in Leatherfoot but i can source such good deals on C&J, Churchs etc through the UK factory shops and latterly through the BB Black Fleece clearance that Carmina really can't be justified.

Thanks. That's really helpful especially since I'm considering the Harrogate. I do like how it's built tough but aren't sold on how durable the straps are and wish it had a sleeker last. Guess I'll likely get the Tetbury in suede then, which is a lot cheaper so I won't complain. My understanding is that Carmina has decided to only sell shell through their own shops so it might not be a bad idea to pick up the pair at LeatherFoot if the price is less than what Carmina charges in their outlet online.

If you don't mind what are the prices at the C&J factory shop?
post #2490 of 4440
Still kicking myself for missing out on the BBBF clearance at the RBC location.

I am still looking for a black derby PTB or LWB with double sole. Anyone have any suggestion?

I suppose I can get a pair of AE Leeds or MacNeil. But I don't mind going off the beating path.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Ultimate Toronto Thread