or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Ultimate Toronto Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Ultimate Toronto Thread - Page 150

post #2236 of 4449
Quote:
Originally Posted by borbor View Post
 

 

have a bunch of nwt pz's fs and was asked before about whether my stuff was Z cut or not.

 

now i know.  thanks for the info. 

Once you were asked by me :-) - for that check gray suit in 56L few months or weeks ago, and I was too hesitant :-)

And yes, I meant you @borbor - you do have nice stuff, although I am still to buy something from you

post #2237 of 4449
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppingtoad View Post

Novelty is generally fine for operations like topy/vibram. But use a bit of caution. In particular, you will want to ask how he plans to attach the sole protectors. (Some cobblers shave a thin layer of leather off, to avoid thickening the silhouette, which I don't like. Others simply rough the sole up a bit, to allow the glue to better adhere, which is fine with me.) I've had goodyear-welted boots resoled there, and the work seems competent. 

Kaner's in Yorkville sees a lot of extremely expensive footwear, unsurprisingly (they're vibrammed pairs of A1923, CCP, and Guidi for me). They do a pretty nice job, imo. I live right by Novelty (and, as I said, the work seems competent) but I make the trip to Kaner's now. 

That's great to know. I heard about Kaner's and will take both pairs of my SLP boots there. I'm happy to hear they worked on your boots.
post #2238 of 4449
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs77 View Post
 

Once you were asked by me :-) - for that check gray suit in 56L few months or weeks ago, and I was too hesitant :-)

And yes, I meant you @borbor - you do have nice stuff, although I am still to buy something from you

lol, thanks.

 

some guy in paris bought it the monday after the attacks. 

post #2239 of 4449
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs77 View Post

Ah, it was you with this info on Via Cavour :-)
What is the selection of PZ? In bigger sizes?

I know for sure they have 40 and 42 but didn't look at the others closely since I'm more 34-36 possibly 38 depending on the cut. If there is a particular size you are after I'll most likely be in the area tomorrow and can take a look for you.
post #2240 of 4449
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADub View Post

I know for sure they have 40 and 42 but didn't look at the others closely since I'm more 34-36 possibly 38 depending on the cut. If there is a particular size you are after I'll most likely be in the area tomorrow and can take a look for you.

Please do. I'm 56 (46) in PZ. PM me please do f convenient.

I was in Yorkville today for lunch, but have written off Via Cavour from my list, didn't see your post.
post #2241 of 4449
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs77 View Post

OK, this gives me a chance to shine :-) as PZ is my No 1 favorite RTW suit brand - and I am talking about mainline.

So canvasing is so nice that jacket really melts to the body.

I mentioned fabrics - when I am buying suit, and I see s150 or higher, I am usually cautious (take SuSu as an example). I own PZs that are s150, and show no wear after years of service. I've been told by a store owner that carries PZ from Vienna, and who buys a lot from them, that they explained once how their technologists work with cloth mills directly and that most cloths are exclusive for them. I mean really, their collections are not huge, but the choices are great, in terms of durability, drape, textures and colors. If you take Canali, for example, it is all over the place. Canali in Sax 5th Avenue in NYC is very different in all respects then the one in Harry Rosen.

The models are easily navigable. In mainline there are basically two cuts (I heard there's third, but never seen it). I call them Z-cut and B-cut (identifiable by letter in model No on inside tag). Z-cut has very little shoulder padding, lower button stance and trimmer pants. Marked as drop-6. B-cut has stronger shoulders, a bit higher button stance, more relaxed and higher rise trousers. Marked as drop-8. I have both, I usually look for Z, but will not stray away from B-cut. Interestingly, as time goes by I find myself gravitating towards my B-cut suits :-)

And the best part is - because it is overshadowed by the likes of Canali, Zegna etc, they have a great outlet and second-hand value. When I lived in Vienna, there was an outlet mall with B&M PZ store. I was getting last season suits for like 300-400 EUR, and with great selection. Now days, and because their collection is not huge, so once you get used to what fits you, you can confidently buy online, I tend to buy online. So, eBay, Yoox... I just posted today in WAYWRN a SC I got through eBay for $100.

There is a guy in this thread, based in TO, that has a good selection from time-to-time on his eBay shop. Not sure of the name, I hope he will give a shout :-)

In TO, they are carried by Ermanno (Yonge&Lawrence), Robert Jones and Via Cavour. First two have normal retail prices (~$2000 a suit), Via Cavour I was always quoted something like 30% more :-) - not sure who buys there, but what do I know. Yesterday someone here mentioned Via Cavour has some massive discount, and I got to check it out. Ermanno also has discount from time-to-time, Robert Jones no so much.

BTW, another brand that I find is of similar value is Corneliani.

Thanks for the info on PZ cuts. I'll look at the tag on the one I tried at HR Men and look online for my size.

Funny you should mention Corneliani because I just bought one of their suits last weekend. It was a good deal compared to MSRP but more than what I paid for the RLBL and Samuelsohn combined.

I'm sad that Leatherfoot no longer carries Ring Jacket. If only I knew my size in their cuts I could get them reliably from Japan for $5-700, which would be a really good deal for the quality.
post #2242 of 4449
OK, now I checked some of my PZ suits. I wasn't 100% accurate.

What I call Z cut has a Z letter in the model number but is drop 7 (but also has letter B :-) ). It is trimmer and little shoulder padding. Like this



What I call B cut will never have letter Z, and is drop 8. Like this

post #2243 of 4449
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADub View Post

Thanks for the info on PZ cuts. I'll look at the tag on the one I tried at HR Men and look online for my size.

Funny you should mention Corneliani because I just bought one of their suits last weekend. It was a good deal compared to MSRP but more than what I paid for the RLBL and Samuelsohn combined.

I'm sad that Leatherfoot no longer carries Ring Jacket. If only I knew my size in their cuts I could get them reliably from Japan for $5-700, which would be a really good deal for the quality.

I agree. It's unfortunate that no one carries ring jacket in Canada anymore.
post #2244 of 4449
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker View Post


Interested in a Velasca review + what size you wear in other brands.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerkong View Post
 

 

If only their lasts were a bit less bulbous, the toe is fairly rounded. Aside from that, I fondled my buddy's chukkas and they were SOLID. No duties is another plus, and it seems like they didn't raise prices either, and charge in CAD!

 

Will post a more detailed review later when I'm not working 15 hours a day, but the bottom line is that I'm quite happy with the purchase. There are some foibles, but for $208 it's a hell of a shoe. Also, the shoe I have, here, is comfortable as all hell. I think their shape in real life actually looks a lot better than on their website, for some reason. 

 

Sizing: I have weird feet. High instep, wide foot.

I'm a 10E in park aves, but that last just isn't very comfortable for my foot; 10E in Johnston and Murphy's Aristocrat; 9.5UK in Carmina's Rain last, which is snug but otherwise feels nice; 10.5US in this Peal and Co shoe, which is slightly too big. 9.5UK in Velasca's sizing is pretty good for my foot. Sufficient width, acceptable instep space.

post #2245 of 4449
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatterbrain View Post
 

 

 

Will post a more detailed review later when I'm not working 15 hours a day, but the bottom line is that I'm quite happy with the purchase. There are some foibles, but for $208 it's a hell of a shoe. Also, the shoe I have, here, is comfortable as all hell. I think their shape in real life actually looks a lot better than on their website, for some reason. 

 

Sizing: I have weird feet. High instep, wide foot.

I'm a 10E in park aves, but that last just isn't very comfortable for my foot; 10E in Johnston and Murphy's Aristocrat; 9.5UK in Carmina's Rain last, which is snug but otherwise feels nice; 10.5US in this Peal and Co shoe, which is slightly too big. 9.5UK in Velasca's sizing is pretty good for my foot. Sufficient width, acceptable instep space.

 

Any chance you can shoot a pic looking from the top of the shoe comparing the Carmina with the Velasca? I was shooting for a pair of Carmina captoes but Quality Shop hasn't restocked, neither has Skoak and I prefer to buy from those two since every other Carmina retailer either prices in USD or is sky high.

post #2246 of 4449
Does anyone know about the Allen Edmonds "Bloor Street" at Harry Rosen? I think they're just AE Park Avenues with part rubber outsole but I thought I'd get someone to confirm.
post #2247 of 4449
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerkong View Post
 

 

Any chance you can shoot a pic looking from the top of the shoe comparing the Carmina with the Velasca? I was shooting for a pair of Carmina captoes but Quality Shop hasn't restocked, neither has Skoak and I prefer to buy from those two since every other Carmina retailer either prices in USD or is sky high.

 

Will try to remember to do this tomorrow. Both pairs are at work. I will be there tomorrow. They are shaped quite differently. Valesca is a much wider/rounder last, but not in a bad way IMO.

 

Which reminds me, do you guys have any suggestions for good weatherpoof boots that can withstand our winters? I'm not wearing my better shoes when walking to and from work this year.  Thinking of this: http://www.wolverine.com/US/en/wilbur-boot/21767M.html?dwvar_21767M_color=W40012#cgid=men-footwear-casuals-wolverine-no-1883&start=1  

post #2248 of 4449
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerkong View Post

Any chance you can shoot a pic looking from the top of the shoe comparing the Carmina with the Velasca? I was shooting for a pair of Carmina captoes but Quality Shop hasn't restocked, neither has Skoak and I prefer to buy from those two since every other Carmina retailer either prices in USD or is sky high.

I have been looking at this brand as well and even posted in the thread that someone created about Velasca.

It looks to be a cross between AE and Carmina in terms of shape. It is not as old manish like AE but still not as sleek as Carmina IMO.

I swear 8D in AE in most shoes, I'm going to take the plunge and purchase the black captoe shortly as I'm missing that in my rotation

@scatterbrain

Looking forward to your pictures brother
post #2249 of 4449

Anyone familiar with Brooks Brothers discounting?

 

There's a particular item that is down to one size online (happens to be my size). Do they usually tend to discount these items? I'm thinking it's worth buying and checking in at the end of the price protection policy to see if they have been discounted in the system.

 

On another note ended up getting 2 APC shirts from HBC for $115 all in. Grabbed a wool flannel check shirt and a Gary denim overshirt. Some great discounts going on at Queen Street location.

post #2250 of 4449
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiggyv View Post

Anyone familiar with Brooks Brothers discounting?

There's a particular item that is down to one size online (happens to be my size). Do they usually tend to discount these items? I'm thinking it's worth buying and checking in at the end of the price protection policy to see if they have been discounted in the system.

On another note ended up getting 2 APC shirts from HBC for $115 all in. Grabbed a wool flannel check shirt and a Gary denim overshirt. Some great discounts going on at Queen Street location.

Call a store and ask if they can bring it in. It'll be cheaper than buying from the site. In the meantime, sign up for a corporate membership online for 15% discount if it's a regular price item.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Ultimate Toronto Thread