or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Ultimate Toronto Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Ultimate Toronto Thread - Page 136

post #2026 of 4630
Quote:
Originally Posted by akoustas View Post
 

Not that this is a massive deal, but Drake's ties are at 40% off at Harry Rosen. I was going through the usual pile of garbage and found a very handsome selection at FCP.

 

Takes the total down to $110 a piece, which is a godd deal with the exchange rate being what it is. 

Barney's has some Drake's ties ($59) and pocket squares ($29) right now.  If you have a US mailbox, it's a okay deal.  Otherwise, they tack on duties at checkout.

post #2027 of 4630
Yeah but once you do the exchange rate conversion, shipping and duties you're at about 110 anyways.

Now is probably one of the few times shopping at a major Canadian retailer makes some sense. They're able to hedge the fx fluctuations and eat some of the cost. Not to say there hasn't been an effect, but in many cases you're not getting that great of a deal from us imports even when on sale.
post #2028 of 4630
Quote:
Originally Posted by akoustas View Post

Yeah but once you do the exchange rate conversion, shipping and duties you're at about 110 anyways.

Now is probably one of the few times shopping at a major Canadian retailer makes some sense. They're able to hedge the fx fluctuations and eat some of the cost. Not to say there hasn't been an effect, but in many cases you're not getting that great of a deal from us imports even when on sale.

 

Aside from the fact that the US still offers much better selection, and products we can't get here.   Which is still why I'm buying mostly down there.  Its getting painful...

 

 

But you are correct, Canadian retailers are not at a disadvantage price wise right now.

post #2029 of 4630

Yes. They need to be stocking something you'd actually want to buy, which is a pretty tall order at times....

post #2030 of 4630

It's getting damned near impossible to purchase from a US retailer with our plummeting dollar.  I agree that in a lot of instances prices are cheaper here now retail versus retail as they haven't been adjusted (read raised) quickly enough to compensate for the falling dollar.  And that's before you factor in the duties lottery, which isn't as winnable as it once was.

post #2031 of 4630
Had a pleasure of meeting @MG85 and another great example of our T.O thread helping it's members.
post #2032 of 4630
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerP View Post

It's getting damned near impossible to purchase from a US retailer with our plummeting dollar.  I agree that in a lot of instances prices are cheaper here now retail versus retail as they haven't been adjusted (read raised) quickly enough to compensate for the falling dollar.  And that's before you factor in the duties lottery, which isn't as winnable as it once was.

...or any online retailers (read SF affiliates/favourites) that sell their wares based in $US - Luxire, Sam Hober etc.
post #2033 of 4630
Makes it a great opportunity for Rick at Spier, Ideyi at LF and Jok at GTA Shoeshine.

And hopefully some other people can realize an opportunity.
post #2034 of 4630
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickInTO View Post

Makes it a great opportunity for Rick at Spier, Ideyi at LF and Jok at GTA Shoeshine.

And hopefully some other people can realize an opportunity.

Spier has gotten a lot more business than usual from me. :cheers: 

post #2035 of 4630
I'm glad to see things going well for Rick.
post #2036 of 4630

Can't wait for Spier to open up downtown (this March?). I'm itching for a cheap source of quality slim fit OCBDs.

post #2037 of 4630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel28 View Post

Had a pleasure of meeting @MG85 and another great example of our T.O thread helping it's members.

Great to meet you to. Glad I could help and sorry again for the confusion. Enjoy your trip!

post #2038 of 4630
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiggyv View Post
 

Can't wait for Spier to open up downtown (this March?). I'm itching for a cheap source of quality slim fit OCBDs.

 

You mean inexpensive, affordable and of great value, haha :D

post #2039 of 4630

Anyone have any recommendations for NYE? The ideal for me would be a black-tie optional near downtown, preferably with live music; we're into dancing the night away, but not very clubby.

 

Saw this but don't know about black-tie and Bee Gees. There's also this out by the airport, but again, I'd prefer downtown... surprised there isn't something at one of the swankier hotels.

 

 

Newer to town (relatively speaking), so definitely appreciative of some local wisdom.

post #2040 of 4630
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanginger View Post

Anyone have any recommendations for NYE? The ideal for me would be a black-tie optional near downtown, preferably with live music; we're into dancing the night away, but not very clubby.

Saw this but don't know about black-tie and Bee Gees. There's also this out by the airport, but again, I'd prefer downtown... surprised there isn't something at one of the swankier hotels.


Newer to town (relatively speaking), so definitely appreciative of some local wisdom.

The Old Mill is not by the airport. It is between Bloor West and Kingsway. It is right on the subway line, with free transit running all night on NYE I would strongly consider it. (Subway station - Old Mill)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Ultimate Toronto Thread