or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Ultimate Toronto Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Ultimate Toronto Thread - Page 127

post #1891 of 4444
That's actually pretty decent tho! I paid £345 back when the CAD was much stronger against the pound, and it was already close to there!
post #1892 of 4444

Hi, first post here, I am from Toronto's west end.  Tried creating my own thread, not sure if that goes against the forum rules as my post is yet to show, so posting here now.  I have read through a few threads so I have some idea of the available options, but I am also still in school as a mature student working towards my CPA - so my budget isn't quite up to where what's discussed is what I can opt for right now.

My current habits are to pick up an item or two on sale after Christmas and then grab something new for the summer, but in recent years (I am now 31) I find I am looking for a more refined look and appreciating quality more.  I have maybe 3 suits from tiptops (CK and Talia) and a couple dress shirts which I have had adjusted to fit me as best as possible, and one canali suit which was for a wedding which I got from Harry Rosen's.  I have a couple jeans, slacks, dress shirts, and Robert graham items I highly enjoy from harrys as well.  I know harry's has considerable markup, but the service I was provided with while shopping there made up for it to me, and I am routinely complimented when wearing the items i have selected from them.  Also my fashion sense is probably that of a 6 year old dressing himself for school, so I am generally overwhelmed unless something jumps at me.

 

Anyway, I am looking to get one or two new suits in the near future, and would like a little help picking something that oozes classic and sharp, without breaking the bank.  The high end of my budget is about $800 for a two piece, and I would be willing to drop 200 each for a couple of nice dress shirts (only a couple tho lol).  I also like items that are not restricting when it comes to matching them with something, as my wardrobe is not gigantic at the moment.  I am really just looking to step it up a little from the look I can get a tiptops, without buying something that looks good but is poor quality.

 

In looking through the bay I have seen ted baker, tiger of Sweden, reiss, and a couple other lines that I would be willing to maybe gamble on if I could know I am getting value for what I am spending, but I am hesitant buying anything from the bay as I know its just a department store line and the price generally doesn't merit the service I get there and I am just gambling on quality.  If I did go with one of the previously mentioned I would probably try and pick something up from their own stores rather than bay lines.  I like to get whatever I buy adjusted, and being 5'8 and almost athletic, most of the stuff I buy NEEDS to be adjusted.

 

So, throw some suggestions for a guy like me, what should I check out, and also tell me what to stay away from please.  I live west end but go to school downtown.

 

As for shoes, I really wanted some allen Edmonds, but I have a high instep and this causes a bowing at the top of the shoes which really looks bad, like a gap from wearing slippers.  I have tried wider shoes, but I am doomed to wearing derbies pretty much.  I have a pair of galizio toressi's which I absolutely adore, but cant get anything else from their line that I want because id have to ship it from outside Canada (+$$$), or I would have no hesitation buying them.  So really I am looking for a nice chestnut brown derby cap-toe.  its really hit or miss with the bowing, even on derbies sometimes.  I have also checked out the loding store at sherway and found the fit feels slightly awkward, the shoes look pretty good, but fit seems a bit off (mostly in the heel).

 

Thanks for reading this essay, I look forward to seeing your replies!

post #1893 of 4444
Anyone still looking for shoes, Brooks Brothers has 40% off shoes & accessories today (doesn't apply to Edward Green or cordovan) and should be good for everyone, no need for a corporate card.
post #1894 of 4444
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanchri View Post

Anyone still looking for shoes, Brooks Brothers has 40% off shoes & accessories today (doesn't apply to Edward Green or cordovan) and should be good for everyone, no need for a corporate card.

 

Just for today?

post #1895 of 4444
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerP View Post
 

 

Just for today?


Only for today. It's part of their "Five days of giving" promotion. In fact it's the last one. 

post #1896 of 4444
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanchri View Post
 


Only for today. It's part of their "Five days of giving" promotion. In fact it's the last one. 

 

Thanks.  Good deal, but no way I can get downtown today.

post #1897 of 4444
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerP View Post
 

 

Thanks.  Good deal, but no way I can get downtown today.


I agree. It's a shame they sent the emails for each only on the day of.

However, it's also valid online though I'm not sure how shipping, duties and taxes work (if shipped from the US). Also, the online prices are likely in USD.

post #1898 of 4444
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanchri View Post
 


I agree. It's a shame they sent the emails for each only on the day of.

However, it's also valid online though I'm not sure how shipping, duties and taxes work (if shipped from the US). Also, the online prices are likely in USD.

 

Yes - I couldn't seem to find an on-line price in $CDN and definitely would not import from the States as the lion's share of the savings would be eaten up in duties and taxes.

 

And I don't realy have my sizing figured out in most of their brands other than EG.

 

Too bad, I dig that Peal & Co. tan grain chukka.

post #1899 of 4444
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerP View Post
 

 

Yes - I couldn't seem to find an on-line price in $CDN and definitely would not import from the States as the lion's share of the savings would be eaten up in duties and taxes.

 

And I don't realy have my sizing figured out in most of their brands other than EG.

 

Too bad, I dig that Peal & Co. tan grain chukka.


I believe the stores also do sales over the phone, with in-store pickup.

 

You'd still be left guessing on sizing though. However, assuming regular returns policy, you could potentially purchase a range, best guess +/- half a size, keep the pair that fits and return the other 2 pairs. 

post #1900 of 4444
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanchri View Post
 


I believe the stores also do sales over the phone, with in-store pickup.

 

You'd still be left guessing on sizing though. However, assuming regular returns policy, you could potentially purchase a range, best guess +/- half a size, keep the pair that fits and return the other 2 pairs. 

 

Would you say RBC store has a better selection than Bloor?

post #1901 of 4444
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerkong View Post

Would you say RBC store has a better selection than Bloor?

I would say so. The RBC location even carries Edward Green, not that it's included in this sale, but it says something about selection.
There's a large selection of Peal & Co at both, but it would depend on your size for selection. I would give them a call to check on sizing.
post #1902 of 4444
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerkong View Post
 

 

Would you say RBC store has a better selection than Bloor?

 

From what i've seen the shoe section at RBC looks much larger than the one at bloor

post #1903 of 4444

It seems that the RBC location is closed Sundays anyways (at least that's what it says online), leaving only the Bloor St location.

post #1904 of 4444
Should be able to just call the store and order over the phone, right?
post #1905 of 4444
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinc2162 View Post

Should be able to just call the store and order over the phone, right?


I just spoke with the Bloor St store. You can order over the phone and pickup in store. As long as they have what you want of course.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Ultimate Toronto Thread