or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Ultimate Toronto Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Ultimate Toronto Thread - Page 114

post #1696 of 4449
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickInTO View Post

I won a Panta jacket from Spoo on eBay. I got the tag today from Canada Post that I can pick the jacket up tomorrow. The jacket was made in the U.S., and imported from the U.S. It cost $150 USD / $200 CAD. The customs/duties are $76. That's insane, right? That's not correct, 38% - I should contest it, right?

That is robbery
post #1697 of 4449
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickInTO View Post

I won a Panta jacket from Spoo on eBay. I got the tag today from Canada Post that I can pick the jacket up tomorrow. The jacket was made in the U.S., and imported from the U.S. It cost $150 USD / $200 CAD. The customs/duties are $76. That's insane, right? That's not correct, 38% - I should contest it, right?

It looks like you got hit with 18% customs/duties. What is the break down of the fees? Is it like below?

Price of jacket = $200.00
Customs/duties (18%) = $ 36.00
HST (13%) = $ 30.68
CP processing fee = $ 10.00
Total = $276.68

Did the package clearly state that the jacket was manufactured in the USA? If so then yeah you should definitely contest it. You should get back $36.00 in customs and duties as well as $4.68 back in HST as customs and duties are subject to the HST.
post #1698 of 4449
I think safest bet is trying Samuelson mtm first. Good value proposition.
post #1699 of 4449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd I/O View Post

It looks like you got hit with 18% customs/duties. What is the break down of the fees? Is it like below?

Price of jacket = $200.00
Customs/duties (18%) = $ 36.00
HST (13%) = $ 30.68
CP processing fee = $ 10.00
Total = $276.68

Did the package clearly state that the jacket was manufactured in the USA? If so then yeah you should definitely contest it. You should get back $36.00 in customs and duties as well as $4.68 back in HST as customs and duties are subject to the HST.

That was the breakdown. I refused the package and requested a CBSA assessment. Does anyone have any idea how long that will take?
post #1700 of 4449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post

(don't scare him off with all the talk about 'that's not real bespoke' guys...)


where are you located roughly?


I'm in Mississauga.

 

So, the places downtown aren't really bespoke ? I've heard great things about Garrison but I'm not sure how they stack up price wise.

post #1701 of 4449
Quote:
Originally Posted by othertravel View Post

I think safest bet is trying Samuelson mtm first. Good value proposition.


I took a look at their site but they don't mention a Toronto/GTA location...How are they quality wise ? Thanks =)

post #1702 of 4449
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrizzy View Post
 

Not true bespoke, but i've been hearing good things about Spier and Mackay lately. Seems like an up and coming company that does MTM for both shirts and suitings. (+ price looks good)

 

They're kind of far though, up in missisauga ( with a store opening in toronto soon? but I'm not 100% sure about that).


I'm in Mississauga, so that works out perfectly. I went through their site and their stuff seems okay -  how's the quality ?  I wouldn't mind paying more for something that will last.  Thanks!

post #1703 of 4449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp2k View Post
 

Hey Guys! Do you know of any good tailors (Made to Measure or Bespoke) in the GTA Area ? I've heard of a couple downtown but don't want to trek there unless it's worth it. I'm looking to start off with a few dress shirts/dress pants for work and such. I typically buy my clothes from The Bay or Banana Republic but wanted to try something new. What's a reasonable price to expect for Bespoke Dress Shirts and Dress Pants ?  Thanks!

I can highly recommend Thomas Henry Made. I've bought a lot of MTM and bespoke, and I think he had a great product and a good price point. $1,200 for all in MTM and I'm very happy with the fit. Definitely worth checking out.

 

S&M is good, just didn't work for me. Garrisons is good, but I'm over their experience and price point is closer to the $2K (which you just don't need to do to get a good custom job). My opinion and experience of course.

post #1704 of 4449
Check out Trend Custom Tailors - my experience there is great. And it's true bespoke. Plus Don is really passionate and touring his location is pretty awesome. There's a bespoke shoe guy on site which I thought was pretty cool.

I don't recommend Garrison at all. My experience was terrible and same with others I know.

S&M is great for the price point. Rick is a stand up guy and super knowledgeable.
post #1705 of 4449
Samuelsohn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp2k View Post


I took a look at their site but they don't mention a Toronto/GTA location...How are they quality wise ? Thanks =)

Samuelsohn don't have stores, but offer their wares through Harry Rosen, The Bay and I believe Rego in the Exchange Tower. Fully canvassed and often spoken of as very high quality and on par with many higher priced brands. I tried on a suit at The Bay the other day and it fit amazingly. Very nice. It was about $1200 for OTR.
post #1706 of 4449
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky View Post

I don't recommend Garrison at all. My experience was terrible and same with others I know.

I walk by Garrison every day on my way to and from work. The suits/jackets displayed in their windows look nice. They clearly have business from local sports teams and such. I have no experience with them (their "by appointment only" hours posted on their front door isn't very inviting). I get the impression that they are not clamoring for walk in business and from the stories I've heard they might not give you the best customer service if you don't come in making it clear that money is no object. This is all just from reviews I've read. Maybe they are really nice and willing to work with cheapskates like me. No idea. Not sure why no one from there posts on an obvious forum such as this one.
post #1707 of 4449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp2k View Post

Hey Guys! Do you know of any good tailors (Made to Measure or Bespoke) in the GTA Area ? I've heard of a couple downtown but don't want to trek there unless it's worth it. I'm looking to start off with a few dress shirts/dress pants for work and such. I typically buy my clothes from The Bay or Banana Republic but wanted to try something new. What's a reasonable price to expect for Bespoke Dress Shirts and Dress Pants ?  Thanks!

Check out this thread : Custom Suiting Toronto
post #1708 of 4449
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky View Post

Check out Trend Custom Tailors - my experience there is great. And it's true bespoke. Plus Don is really passionate and touring his location is pretty awesome. There's a bespoke shoe guy on site which I thought was pretty cool.

I don't recommend Garrison at all. My experience was terrible and same with others I know.

S&M is great for the price point. Rick is a stand up guy and super knowledgeable.

I'm glad to hear someone had a positive experience with them. What have you commissioned so far?
post #1709 of 4449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp2k View Post
 


I'm in Mississauga, so that works out perfectly. I went through their site and their stuff seems okay -  how's the quality ?  I wouldn't mind paying more for something that will last.  Thanks!

I had a talk with Rick some time ago, and a MTM 2pc suit is something around 700 (full canvas) with their in house fabrics. Options he talked about were awesome though, full lapel styling, button stance and gorge height choices. He told me a few people commision Eidos style jackets for around 400-550 so it seems pretty solid. The stuff is made in China? but quality seems rather good. 

 

I'll probably swing by more frequently when they head to toronto or when I have time to go there on a weekend.

post #1710 of 4449
I thought Rick had his stuff made in India? Perhaps he can chime in...

As for trend, I've had a number of shirts made in Thomas Mason fabrics I believe (been a while) and the fit is perfect, and the experience was great too. Plastic buttons at that price is my only minor gripe but good otherwise. I've never heard of bad reviews for Trend?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Ultimate Toronto Thread