• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailoring a dress shirt: off the rack or wash first?

blueguitar322

Reaction score
I have a handful of shirts that I'm going to take to the tailor. Some have been machine washed/dried, others haven't.

Do I need to wash and dry my shirts at least once before having them tailored (hems taken in, darts, etc) or can I buy a shirt at the mall, swing by the tailor, unpackage it and let them work their magic straight away?

MunnyGuy

Reaction score
I would think it would all depen on the make of the shirt. Some are more prone to a little shrinkage then others. I would reccomend the wash first then alter method,,,, What do you have to lose then?

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You may as well wash it first just to be safe.

wq1999

Reaction score
Washing at least once (and preferably twice) before tailoring is recommended. Also, you it is best to find a "shirtmaker" to tailor your shirts, as opposed to a regular tailor (unless it's just putting in darts, which any tailor can do).

Omar1223

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wq1999
Washing at least once (and preferably twice) before tailoring is recommended. Also, you it is best to find a "shirtmaker" to tailor your shirts, as opposed to a regular tailor (unless it's just putting in darts, which any tailor can do).

so if someone wants to take the sides of a dress shirt, they should take it to a "shirtmaker" not a tailor. sorry for the question within your thread, blueguitar322.

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
I tend to wash my shirts three times before I take them to my tailor. The only alteration I do pre-washing is the removal of pockets in order to remove the stitching marks.

Jon.

This is what I would have typed had I popped into this thread sooner. I take mine to a tailor and not a shirtmaker and have been quite happy with the results....of course he has made shirts in the past so maybe that's not a fair statement.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics