• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nose studs on saleswomen and teller OK?

hchamp

Reaction score
I was in an upscale trendy shop yesterday that had suiting and accessories by Zegna, Canali, Sand, Ike Behar, etc. And I noticed the saleswomen had a little jewel stud in her nose. I noticed the same thing in a bank where a teller was wearing the same thing.

Do you consider this proper attire for these jobs? Especially in the bank? But also in the higher-end retail shop? Does this send the wrong message? Where do you draw the line on jewelry, body peircing, etc?

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hchamp
I was in an upscale trendy shop yesterday that had suiting and accessories by Zegna, Canali, Sand, Ike Behar, etc. And I noticed the saleswomen had a little jewel stud in her nose. I noticed the same thing in a bank where a teller was wearing the same thing.

Do you consider this proper attire for these jobs? Especially in the bank? But also in the higher-end retail shop? Does this send the wrong message? Where do you draw the line on jewelry, body peircing, etc?

There is nothing wrong with it these days. Keep in mind a nose stud is quite acceptable in many cultures that are now pervasive in the U.S. In other words: get with the times.

hchamp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CTGuy
There is nothing wrong with it these days. Keep in mind a nose stud is quite acceptable in many cultures that are now pervasive in the U.S. In other words: get with the times.

I know some cultures, like east Indians, wear nose studs. But western culture doesn't have that tradition and the nose stud here is usually associated with tattoo parlor, pool halls and coffee shops. To my mind, it has no place in a conservative institution like a bank. And you can argue that since the clientele for such a higher-end shop will be middle-class professional men, it is also inappropriate there. I was certainly put off by it at the bank, and somewhat less so at the shop.

Maybe I'm old school on this? But I gotta believe many people feel the same way.

smentz

Reaction score
i dont want to seem harsh but this is a little ridiculous. a nose stud is IMO the same as an earing. Same with a lip ring, eyebrow piercing etc. if its tasteful, its passable in any job. I personally have no problem with any piercing, body art, etc in the workplace and will hire anyone who will get the job done right. i dont care if they have a tire hanging from their earlobe, if they are productive and efficient they will be an employee.

Sending the wrong message? what kind of message is "the wrong" message? "I have a pierced nose, so therefore im sassy and have an attitude, and i wont give you your receipt with a smile and a "have a nice day?"

I could see making the argument in a consultant's position, or a therapist. in that situation maybe a tyson tatoo around the eye might make someone uneasy, but then again who is to tell someone that they cant express themselves.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm old school on this?

Yes.

But I gotta believe many people feel the same way.

kennethpollock will probably agree with you.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Seems fine to me in either setting.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
I think you're a little old school. My own personal style is also pretty old school, but I've learned that it's best not to try to project one's personal taste into some sort of societal standard for appearances.

In the interest of full disclosure, my girlfriend has a nose stud and she works at an investment bank that while obviously a little different than a teller with direct contact with customers is needless to say still a fairly conservative environment.

It's true what you say about east indian cultures and perhaps because of their increased inclusion in American mainstream culture, I find the nose stud thing so acceptable. As a previous commenter said- I think it's cute on some girls (obviously).

I'll agree this whole matter is a fine line situation. I dislike liprings or visible tattoos at work, but find this acceptable.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by smentz
i dont want to seem harsh but this is a little ridiculous. a nose stud is IMO the same as an earing. Same with a lip ring, eyebrow piercing etc. if its tasteful, its passable in any job. I personally have no problem with any piercing, body art, etc in the workplace and will hire anyone who will get the job done right. i dont care if they have a tire hanging from their earlobe, if they are productive and efficient they will be an employee.

Sending the wrong message? what kind of message is "the wrong" message? "I have a pierced nose, so therefore im sassy and have an attitude, and i wont give you your receipt with a smile and a "have a nice day?"

I could see making the argument in a consultant's position, or a therapist. in that situation maybe a tyson tatoo around the eye might make someone uneasy, but then again who is to tell someone that they cant express themselves.

I'll never understand how piercings help anyone express themselves.

Either way, I wouldn't get upset about a nose stud, but I've rarely seen an eyebrow piercing that was tasteful. Ditto for the lip piercings. Don't even get me started on those ear-stretching things. Those are disgusting.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
I'll never understand how piercings help anyone express themselves.

Either way, I wouldn't get upset about a nose stud, but I've rarely seen an eyebrow piercing that was tasteful. Ditto for the lip piercings. Don't even get me started on those ear-stretching things. Those are disgusting.

You must be a lot of fun at parties.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CTGuy
You must be a lot of fun at parties.

devil.gif
laugh.gif

Jon.

kakemono

Reaction score
It depends where you are also... and the customers you expect to have. If you are in a trendy shop in NYC/LA that attracts a younger crowd its not comparable to some place with an older demographic in the Bible Belt.

I'm only 22, but I prefer the traditionalist presentation. I dont find many piercings besides earings to very attractive or presentable.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Don't even get me started on those ear-stretching things.

To each their own, obviously, but in terms of my own personal aesthetics I'm with you on that one. Those things kind of creep me out.

CoryB

Reaction score
I'm young and yet don't like lip, nose, eye, etc. piercings, but I would not find them, if small, to be objectionable. However, I do believe that they take away from a professional image.

In Canada, it is illegal to force someone to remove piercing or cover tattoos in the workplace. US law, still allows employers to force their covering though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads