or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Nose studs on saleswomen and teller OK?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Nose studs on saleswomen and teller OK? - Page 3

post #31 of 240
This almost reminds me of that post on AskAndy which professed outrage that the bank employee had spiked hair.
post #32 of 240
I have my ear pierced, did it a few years ago. But i agree with the OP that id find it weird in a bank setting for example. idnt object to it, but its not something youre likely to associate with the setting.

I do agree piercings had a connotation before that whoever had any would be less likely to belong in such a place and there was a time where that generalization would be very accurate.

However i think it doesnt fit reality anymore as most young and old are getting piercings with it having no relation to their lifestyle.

But that hasnt sinked in i think in the collective perception yet, so its normal imo to find it weird at first.

But theres nothing to really object to or find unacceptable.
post #33 of 240
Tasteful lip ring? That's like military intelligence.
post #34 of 240
Unless there's been some groundbreaking neuroscientific research which demonstrates that metal piercings increase the likelihood of a person punching a number in a computer incorrectly, I'm certain I don't give a shit whether or not my bank teller has them.
post #35 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGuy View Post
There is nothing wrong with it these days. Keep in mind a nose stud is quite acceptable in many cultures that are now pervasive in the U.S. In other words: get with the times.

Then how about they dress like African tribesmen? Or what about T-shirt and jeans, perfectly acceptable in mainstream culture. Perhaps these "many cultures" need to get with the times and realize where they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post
You realize the teller is not actually a "banker" in any meaningful sense, right? You can obviously make your own choices, but if you think that choosing a bank because none of the tellers have nose studs or tattoos means you're getting any more competence or integrity, I think you're sadly mistaken.

Everything is about image and presentation. Are you going to show up to court looking like Cris Angel even if you are the best lawyer in the world? The teller is a representation of what people see entering the bank.


In short, I think the nose studs are a bit tacky to wear in a professional setting like a bank. Chicks may look cuter or more sexy, but that isn't for the workplace....
post #36 of 240
There is a shoe store in San Francisco that I only will go in to because the girl who works there is covered with tattoos. She isn't that good looking, but there is something really hot about a girl with a good body covered in one color ink. The only thing that I don't like is the ear stretcher. Everything else is a plus for me. I once went on a date with a girl who was a bank teller and she told me she was "in banking". I almost fell off of my chair laughing. Needless to say, I did not get any that evening.
post #37 of 240
I dunno, sometimes I go into a bank and see all these guys in short sleeved shirts, with huge watches, and clip on ties, and I think thats incredibly tacky and inappropriate. I mean, maybe if you worked at ENRON or for the FBI or something, but do I really want someone who thinks that a white, short-sleeved shirt, giant stainless steel fossil watch, and a red striped polyester tie is supposed to be "conservative"?

I'd rather do business with the chick who has a nose stud. That is probably 100x more "real" than any product laden metro sexual bank tellers with tacky clothes, trying their best to LOOK professional could ever hope for. They are the ones I don't trust.
post #38 of 240
Isn't one of the tenet of this forum, as well as AAAC, that image is everything. I mean, is this not the reason we demand that our shirts be fitted and not blousy, that our pants are hemmed or cuffed at proper length, and that we polish our shoes? Do the lawyers on this forum go to court with a large hanging ear-loop? Dare the physician approach a patient with a ring on her lip or eyebrow?

Regardless of how un-PC it is, tattoos and visible piercings project mostly negative images, in most conservative regions (yes, there are still places in the US that hold traditional view, and not all of us live either in LA, SF, Chicago, or NYC)

As much as I respect other's opinions and we agree to disagree, I do not believe tattoos and body piercings belong in an upscale clothing establishment, and certainly not in a bank.

I should just add that I really DON'T CARE what one chooses to do with one's body, but in a business situation where I'm a potential customer, tattoos and body piercings turn me off.
post #39 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim View Post
I dunno, sometimes I go into a bank and see all these guys in short sleeved shirts, with huge watches, and clip on ties, and I think thats incredibly tacky and inappropriate. I mean, maybe if you worked at ENRON or for the FBI or something, but do I really want someone who thinks that a white, short-sleeved shirt, giant stainless steel fossil watch, and a red striped polyester tie is supposed to be "conservative"?

I'd rather do business with the chick who has a nose stud. That is probably 100x more "real" than any product laden metro sexual bank tellers with tacky clothes, trying their best to LOOK professional could ever hope for. They are the ones I don't trust.

I also dislike it when people wear the spiky hair with the ill fitting slacks and tie with the ugly black blutchers. I think the women tellers usually dress better than the men. This is probably due to the fact that women are comfortable with more form fitting clothing.
post #40 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by flylot74 View Post
You may not be. You could be:

a. at your ceiling
b. sleeping with the boss
or
c. the boss

.... I forgot about the boss thing..... they make the rules......

"a" and "c" are possibilities, depending on who you talk to.

I wasn't actually thinking of myself, though. I don't have any visible piercings.
post #41 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiecollector View Post

Everything is about image and presentation. Are you going to show up to court looking like Cris Angel even if you are the best lawyer in the world? The teller is a representation of what people see entering the bank.


In short, I think the nose studs are a bit tacky to wear in a professional setting like a bank. Chicks may look cuter or more sexy, but that isn't for the workplace....

I take your point in general. For me, because I know how little discretion tellers exercise, they don't really factor into any analysis I might make about a bank's qualifications. I have -- or at least I fool myself into think I have -- better means of making a judgment.
post #42 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post
There is a shoe store in San Francisco that I only will go in to because the girl who works there is covered with tattoos. She isn't that good looking, but there is something really hot about a girl with a good body covered in one color ink.

The only thing that I don't like is the ear stretcher. Everything else is a plus for me.

Does your wife know about that weird fetish of yours?

Quote:
I once went on a date with a girl who was a bank teller and she told me she was "in banking". I almost fell off of my chair laughing. Needless to say, I did not get any that evening.

meanie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim View Post
I'd rather do business with the chick who has a nose stud. That is probably 100x more "real" than any product laden metro sexual bank tellers with tacky clothes, trying their best to LOOK professional could ever hope for. They are the ones I don't trust.

Male bank tellers are some of the dorkiest looking groups of guys i've ever seen. And you forgot tacky contrasting button-holes.
post #43 of 240
I'm convinced that male bank tellers all have a collective shopping day at Express.
post #44 of 240
She can flirt with more men at work and get them to buy more because they'll be "strangely attracted to that wild girl with the nose ring."
post #45 of 240
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post
You realize the teller is not actually a "banker" in any meaningful sense, right? You can obviously make your own choices, but if you think that choosing a bank because none of the tellers have nose studs or tattoos means you're getting any more competence or integrity, I think you're sadly mistaken.


I can see why they pay you the big bucks.

No, tellers many not be "bankers", but they are the public face of the bank and they carry out all routine bank transactions. If they are allowed to dress in an unprofessional manner, it sends the wrong message, not just about them, but about the bank itself. After all, who hired these people? Who trained them? Who decided it was OK for them to dress inappropriately? Not the tellers. Something as small as a stud in the nose (or body piercings) is a symptom of bigger problems at the bank. If management has such poor judgment as to allow something so obvious, why would you trust their judgment on bigger issues involving your money? I mean, if you had a choice between placing your life savings with the investment management group of a bank that has employees with nose studs, lip rings, and tattoos, and another bank where all the employees are scrupulously dressed like bankers, who are you going to be more inclined to choose? And trust? Banking is a people business. You have to be able to trust the people who handle your money. Don't underestimate the importance of this last point.

One simple and pertinent example - tellers have full access to all of your personal information you've given the bank. They also have access to any funds you have deposited with the bank, including those in any investment accounts. I would feel better dealing with a bank where people at least look like they are honest. Wouldn't you? (And spare me the lecture about making assumptions; you know as well as I that piercings and tattoos are more common among criminals than non-criminals.)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Nose studs on saleswomen and teller OK?