or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Nose studs on saleswomen and teller OK?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Nose studs on saleswomen and teller OK?

post #1 of 240
Thread Starter 
I was in an upscale trendy shop yesterday that had suiting and accessories by Zegna, Canali, Sand, Ike Behar, etc. And I noticed the saleswomen had a little jewel stud in her nose. I noticed the same thing in a bank where a teller was wearing the same thing.

Do you consider this proper attire for these jobs? Especially in the bank? But also in the higher-end retail shop? Does this send the wrong message? Where do you draw the line on jewelry, body peircing, etc?
post #2 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by hchamp View Post
I was in an upscale trendy shop yesterday that had suiting and accessories by Zegna, Canali, Sand, Ike Behar, etc. And I noticed the saleswomen had a little jewel stud in her nose. I noticed the same thing in a bank where a teller was wearing the same thing.

Do you consider this proper attire for these jobs? Especially in the bank? But also in the higher-end retail shop? Does this send the wrong message? Where do you draw the line on jewelry, body peircing, etc?

There is nothing wrong with it these days. Keep in mind a nose stud is quite acceptable in many cultures that are now pervasive in the U.S. In other words: get with the times.
post #3 of 240
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGuy View Post
There is nothing wrong with it these days. Keep in mind a nose stud is quite acceptable in many cultures that are now pervasive in the U.S. In other words: get with the times.

I know some cultures, like east Indians, wear nose studs. But western culture doesn't have that tradition and the nose stud here is usually associated with tattoo parlor, pool halls and coffee shops. To my mind, it has no place in a conservative institution like a bank. And you can argue that since the clientele for such a higher-end shop will be middle-class professional men, it is also inappropriate there. I was certainly put off by it at the bank, and somewhat less so at the shop.

Maybe I'm old school on this? But I gotta believe many people feel the same way.
post #4 of 240
i dont want to seem harsh but this is a little ridiculous. a nose stud is IMO the same as an earing. Same with a lip ring, eyebrow piercing etc. if its tasteful, its passable in any job. I personally have no problem with any piercing, body art, etc in the workplace and will hire anyone who will get the job done right. i dont care if they have a tire hanging from their earlobe, if they are productive and efficient they will be an employee.

Sending the wrong message? what kind of message is "the wrong" message? "I have a pierced nose, so therefore im sassy and have an attitude, and i wont give you your receipt with a smile and a "have a nice day?"

I could see making the argument in a consultant's position, or a therapist. in that situation maybe a tyson tatoo around the eye might make someone uneasy, but then again who is to tell someone that they cant express themselves.
post #5 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by hchamp View Post
Maybe I'm old school on this?

Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hchamp View Post
But I gotta believe many people feel the same way.

kennethpollock will probably agree with you.
post #6 of 240
Seems fine to me in either setting.
post #7 of 240
i think it is cute looking on some women.
post #8 of 240
I think you're a little old school. My own personal style is also pretty old school, but I've learned that it's best not to try to project one's personal taste into some sort of societal standard for appearances. In the interest of full disclosure, my girlfriend has a nose stud and she works at an investment bank that while obviously a little different than a teller with direct contact with customers is needless to say still a fairly conservative environment. It's true what you say about east indian cultures and perhaps because of their increased inclusion in American mainstream culture, I find the nose stud thing so acceptable. As a previous commenter said- I think it's cute on some girls (obviously). I'll agree this whole matter is a fine line situation. I dislike liprings or visible tattoos at work, but find this acceptable.
post #9 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by smentz View Post
i dont want to seem harsh but this is a little ridiculous. a nose stud is IMO the same as an earing. Same with a lip ring, eyebrow piercing etc. if its tasteful, its passable in any job. I personally have no problem with any piercing, body art, etc in the workplace and will hire anyone who will get the job done right. i dont care if they have a tire hanging from their earlobe, if they are productive and efficient they will be an employee.

Sending the wrong message? what kind of message is "the wrong" message? "I have a pierced nose, so therefore im sassy and have an attitude, and i wont give you your receipt with a smile and a "have a nice day?"

I could see making the argument in a consultant's position, or a therapist. in that situation maybe a tyson tatoo around the eye might make someone uneasy, but then again who is to tell someone that they cant express themselves.

I'll never understand how piercings help anyone express themselves.

Either way, I wouldn't get upset about a nose stud, but I've rarely seen an eyebrow piercing that was tasteful. Ditto for the lip piercings. Don't even get me started on those ear-stretching things. Those are disgusting.
post #10 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQgeek View Post
I'll never understand how piercings help anyone express themselves.

Either way, I wouldn't get upset about a nose stud, but I've rarely seen an eyebrow piercing that was tasteful. Ditto for the lip piercings. Don't even get me started on those ear-stretching things. Those are disgusting.

You must be a lot of fun at parties.
post #11 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGuy View Post
You must be a lot of fun at parties.



Jon.
post #12 of 240
It depends where you are also... and the customers you expect to have. If you are in a trendy shop in NYC/LA that attracts a younger crowd its not comparable to some place with an older demographic in the Bible Belt.

I'm only 22, but I prefer the traditionalist presentation. I dont find many piercings besides earings to very attractive or presentable.
post #13 of 240
I've dealt with a lot of saleswomen/female bank tellers who have had their privates pierced.
post #14 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQgeek View Post
Don't even get me started on those ear-stretching things.

To each their own, obviously, but in terms of my own personal aesthetics I'm with you on that one. Those things kind of creep me out.
post #15 of 240
I'm young and yet don't like lip, nose, eye, etc. piercings, but I would not find them, if small, to be objectionable. However, I do believe that they take away from a professional image.

In Canada, it is illegal to force someone to remove piercing or cover tattoos in the workplace. US law, still allows employers to force their covering though.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Nose studs on saleswomen and teller OK?