or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › D&g shirt - authentic?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

D&g shirt - authentic?

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
Hello, An ebay seller has a ton of these multi-stripe shirts by D&G with an opening bid of $34.99 and a BIN of $47.99. The price seems way too low, but the shirt appears authentic, and they have a near-perfect feedback rating. Can anyone comment? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....14&rd=1
post #2 of 21
Can't comment on authenticity, but I believe that D&G is their lower-priced bridge line which may explain some pricing.
post #3 of 21
Despite the feedback rating, I would be very skeptical. I've gotten burned buying some things on ebay that look very real...with tags, etc. A lot of these higher end labels are getting counterfeitted a lot recently on ebay, especially stuff like D&G, Versace, and Burberry. Who knows though. It may be real, but I would do some investigating first.
post #4 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Despite the feedback rating, I would be very skeptical. I've gotten burned buying some things on ebay that look very real...with tags, etc. A lot of these higher end labels are getting counterfeitted a lot recently on ebay, especially stuff like D&G, Versace, and Burberry. Who knows though. It may be real, but I would do some investigating first.
It just seems like too low of a price, even though it is their cheaper line. If you follow the link on their auction page, it looks as though they do a wholesale business www.todaysstyles.net that looks to be pretty kosher.
post #5 of 21
I seem to remember seeing that exact shirt at a Sak's Fifth Avenue. I have a D&G shirt double-button shirt that I am comparing the shirt in the picture to. The distance from the edge of the collar that the stiching is appears to be exact, as well as the collar points. But I just thought I'd mention that I was extremely disappointed with the fit of my D&G shirt. I got a 14" (15.5" is normal for me to button w/ tie) collar shirt and it was really wide / pillowy around my waist, a feature that I did not think was very characteristic of Dolce.
post #6 of 21
l would be skeptical, they do not show the tags very well. The label on the back of the shirt collar looks slightly different to the originals. Be careful, l suspect they may be fake.
post #7 of 21
Quote:
l would be skeptical, they do not show the tags very well. The label on the back of the shirt collar looks slightly different to the originals. Be careful, l suspect they may be fake.
Wow, I agree with marc37 on one point: they don't show the label very well... ask them to send you a close up. marc: what do you mean by the labels on the shirt collar being a bit different? What are the D&G labels like? I've bought several D&G's for my brother and would be interested in your answer.
post #8 of 21
The tag in the middle looks fake - I have never seen any like that, the ones on either side look real. Also always be aware of poly bags. The design is a real one from a previous season, so who knows.
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Quote:
(marc37 @ 31 Aug. 2004, 10:15) l would be skeptical, they do not show the tags very well. The label on the back of the shirt collar looks slightly different to the originals. Be careful, l suspect they may be fake.
Wow, I agree with marc37 on one point: they don't show the label very well... ask them to send you a close up. marc: what do you mean by the labels on the shirt collar being a bit different?  What are the D&G labels like?  I've bought several D&G's for my brother and would be interested in your answer.
l will try to explain it as easy as possible. The white cloth tag behind the black tag [in the middle of the collar] should be longer. (lt is hard to see the ebay picture clearly [so l could be wrong], but the white tag looks like it needs to be bigger).
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Quote:
(T4phage @ 31 Aug. 2004, 01:43)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc37,31 Aug. 2004, 10:15
l would be skeptical, they do not show the tags very well. The label on the back of the shirt collar looks slightly different to the originals. Be careful, l suspect they may be fake.
Wow, I agree with marc37 on one point: they don't show the label very well... ask them to send you a close up. marc: what do you mean by the labels on the shirt collar being a bit different?  What are the D&G labels like?  I've bought several D&G's for my brother and would be interested in your answer.
l will try to explain it as easy as possible. The white cloth tag behind the black tag [in the middle of the collar] should be longer. (lt is hard to see the ebay picture clearly [so l could be wrong], but the white tag looks like it needs to be bigger).
Okay.... I have just come back recently from Itay and had purchased 6 D&G shirts from the boutique for my brother. The tag is nothing at all like the link posted by VersaceMan. The label is a dark blue square with a large "&" in red. Underneath the & is written Dolce and Gabbana. The label is stitched all around, i.e totally attached to the shirt. The materials tag is not underneath the label, it is on the side seam of the shirt. So, unless the tags are different in other countries, that looks like a fake. How about yours Marc?
post #11 of 21
Couple points to consider: Tags do vary. Many labels make stuff all over the world and even the fit is different depending on market. I am guessing (but would put money on this guess) that Dolce's shirts for the US market are cut bigger than those for the Italian market. I'd also venture a guess that the shirts for the Japanese market are different. If you were to fake it, the easiest part would be the label. I have maybe a dozen woven label manufacturers lists around here somewhere. If you were to call one in China they really wouldn't give a darn if it was a copy of the D&G and you could run off a thousand in no time. I am always somewhat reluctant to criticize other labels but I think it would be fair to say that D&G understands the brand awareness of thie line and does produce.... "Entry level" garments that do not refelct the quality of their highest end. Not slammin them, just pointing out that not all Dolce's are equal. Also... I know where to get overstock D&G, Ferre, Valentino etcetera for cheap when buying in bulk so that price is not out of line for a shirt that does not use premium fabrics (not saying the fabrics are bad, but they are ordinary and a LOT cheaper than what say... Borrelli or Brioni or Lorenzini uses. Construction is mass-production. Could it be a fake? perhaps. If I were a duplicitous scumbag though I am rather sure that I would knock off something with a bigger pricetag and higher demand - there are shirts out there with a huge price and similar construction.
post #12 of 21
Originally posted by Carlo:
Quote:
Tags do vary. Many labels make stuff all over the world and even the fit is different depending on market. I am guessing (but would put money on this guess) that Dolce's shirts for the US market are cut bigger than those for the Italian market. I'd also venture a guess that the shirts for the Japanese market are different.
Oh for sure fit varies. Even the level of workmanship varies for different markets (as A.Harris and I discovered on Incotex). But for tags? My brother showed me the stuff he bought in the States and they had the same tags as the stuff I bought in Milan for him. With the tags I've seen from Kiton, Brioni, etc, the tags looked the same between Europe and the U.S, except sometimes when they have the "made for/cucito per.." I wouldn't know anything about the Asian markets though. What has been mentioned on this forum was Lacoste, and the various different tags used for shirts made in various countries. But with all the D&G's I bought for my brother over the past 2 years, they were all made in Italy and had the same tag.
post #13 of 21
T4- I noticed that in this ad it says it is made in Italy as well so hard to say for sure - it does have the engraved buttons. ...I don't know that I have ever seen a fake that comes with engraved buttons, hologram tags... would be a LOT of work for an item you hope to clear 20 bucks on. Again - don't know the seller, haven't seen the shirt but I'm thinking that if you are going to copy details such as engraved buttons, labels, hologram tags... you'd really be an idiot to get the inner tag wrong - that is the easiest part of the whole deal. You send the labelmaker a jpg of the exact label you want and they zip'm off ...Then again... saw a boob like that once, looked real enough, no telltales, total disappointment when the subterfuge was revealed.
post #14 of 21
Quote:
T4- I noticed that in this ad it says it is made in Italy as well so hard to say for sure - it does have the engraved buttons. ...I don't know that I have ever seen a fake that comes with engraved buttons, hologram tags...  would be a LOT of work for an item you hope to clear 20 bucks on. Again - don't know the seller, haven't seen the shirt but I'm thinking that if you are going to copy details such as engraved buttons, labels, hologram tags... you'd really be an idiot to get the inner tag wrong - that is the easiest part of the whole deal.  You send the labelmaker a jpg of the exact label you want and they zip'm off ...Then again... saw a boob like that once, looked real enough, no telltales, total disappointment when the subterfuge was revealed.
Yes I agree... why would anyone go thru the hassle of detailing if they forget something as basic as the label on the shirt.... Btw, which "boob" was it?
post #15 of 21
Thread Starter 
T4- As far as the tags, it sounds like the shirts you describe are from the '&' line of Dolce & Gabbana. I have a shirt from the D&G line, and it's similar to the one pictured: D&G in white on a black background, with a small vertical 'Made in Italy' on the side of the tag. Marc, You're right - the tyvec paper tag behing the 'D&G' tag is much longer on my shirt as well, almost to the point where it's annoying. Styleman, That Poly bag is another sign that made me think it was fake.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › D&g shirt - authentic?