• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

watches

FormulaQ

Reaction score
hi again, im back. This time im looking for a very stylish and beautiful watch with a budget of 250. Can anyone point me in the right direction of some brands, or specific models to look at?
Thanks very much.

TKDKid

Reaction score
I like the look of a lot of the Seiko Spirit models, particularly the SCVS013:

55928388.CRW_099001.jpg

More photos here.

Do a google for "seiko spirit" to find more info and where to buy - it's a Japan Domestic Market only model so you'll probably have to import.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
TKDKid;677081 said:
I like the look of a lot of the Seiko Spirit models, particularly the SCVS013:
QUOTE]

I second this recommendation. I have this exact model, and it is a great, no-nonsense mechanical watch. At least among mechanical watches, one would need to spend five times or more this price to begin getting to movements or cases that could be described as superior.

I use mine as my trad watch, with grosgrain bands, but the stock matte black band that comes with this model gives it a modern twist.

Nice watch. I admit that I wear my Lange Saxonia more more often, but I kinda like my Spirit more than my Rolex Datejust. I might get pelted with rocks and sticks for asserting this, but the Spirit and a Rolex are closer in quality than the price difference would suggest. Very close, I would say.

A Spirit is not close to a Lange, though.

New Spirits via the web are around $300, and come in a variety of faces.

- B

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great suggestion.

Maybe also a used Hamilton if you don't mind getting involved in the aftermarket.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78
I have this tissot and it's very nice
http://www.classybrand.com/watches/w...d=T41.1.423.71

More pictures here:
http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/ti.../letissot.html

You could also try:
One of these:
http://www.christopherward.co.uk/pd4...AUTO_C5SWT.htm

with more pictures here:
http://articles.pmwf.com/index.php?/...Automatic.html

The seiko is also very nice

tissot is very popular outside the u.s. they have television commercials in mexico.

i recommend something inexpensive, like a swatch for $100. save your money for more important things. you can always buy a glashutte in the future, when you can afford it.

those christopher ward watches say "swiss movement", so i can only imagine they are made in china.

alan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whats the deal with those Poljot watches?

Some of them look pretty good. Russian writings a turnoff though. Are they decent quality?

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta

those christopher ward watches say "swiss movement", so i can only imagine they are made in china.

Maybe, but the review I posted from poor man's watch forum was positive and I've read a fair number of positive reviews of them on timezone.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78
Maybe, but the review I posted from poor man's watch forum was positive and I've read a fair number of positive reviews of them on timezone.
i have no idea whether or not they are good. i just know a lot of people don't like to buy things made in china, so i was just giving you a heads up, lest you were under the impression it was a swiss made watch.

FormulaQ

Reaction score
thanks for the help, i was looking at an estana or a burberry, but the christopher ward watches really stand out to me. Does anyone know anything about the quality of estana or burberry?

TKDKid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian
TKD / Vox,

What the lug width on a Spirit? 20mm?

I haven't actually got one. Yet.
smile.gif

But I believe you're correct.

More pics of the SCVS013.

Links to pics of the other Seiko Spirit models can be found here.

My second favourite is probably the SCVS005:

SCVS005-08.jpg

Probably too big for my wrist though.
frown.gif

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alan
Whats the deal with those Poljot watches?

Some of them look pretty good. Russian writings a turnoff though. Are they decent quality?

I have several poljots. Most of the 316* movements are actually Swiss. Poljot bought all the factory equiptment from swatch for 77x0's in the late 70's. very reliable manual movements.

Many have english writing on the dials (Aviator brand).

My fav has cyrillic characters and gets many comments. Many wear a Tag, or Seiko, but nobody has a Soviet state sponsored (cold war era) Russian military timepiece.

infiniti029

Reaction score
Anyone have any suggestions on where to get the Seiko Spirit's in the US? I'm kinda wary of buying them from an overseas seller since they may not come with a valid warranty. I really like the stylings of those watches, are there any other brands around that price range?

ENT

Reaction score
That Seiko Spirit looks incredible. I think I'm going to have to pick one up. Any suggestions as to the best place to order one from?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads