• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kitchen Knives

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Shun is the $#!+.

Discuss.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have to try some eventually. I have heard nothing but good things.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shun is the shiat. I can't really afford any right now, so I buy Henkels and Shun knockoffs. I'm afraid of Japanese knives in general. Shun knives are actually intimidating. But when I graduate, my kitchen will be stocked with Shun, Le Creuset and All-Clad.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I bought one for my dad a while back, not knowing much about it, just thinking that it looked cool. I had a chance to cook with it, and man is it awesome. Sharp as a lightsaber. It should come with sound effects.

I have a 15 year old Henkel chef's knife that is some what dull. I've taken it to get professionally sharpened at two different places. Neither one was able to bring it back to life. At the second one, the guy said he didn't know what was wrong with it, but he had tried everything, no dice.

So I went and bought a Shun. No sharpness problems with that.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was actually checking them out in Williams-Sonoma yesterday. Might just splurge for a set but wanted to check out the pricing online as WS is full retail. Does anybody have any recommendations for where to buy knives and kitchen supplies online at a nice discount?
img42l4b4d29do8.jpg
"It's made by Kai, one of Japan's oldest knife companies, using the Damascus technique of 32 layers of steel painstakingly sharpened to a fearsome edge, leaving a beautiful moirÃ
00a9.png
pattern on the blade."
393819572b1fel5.jpg

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have shun and i love my chef's knife. Those looking to save can try ebay. I got mine bnib off of there for about half the retail value of the set.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Amazon.com also has knives below retail. The best prices for other general kitchen equipment that you'll ever find will be at your local restaurant supply stores.

dokelroth

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I bought one for my dad a while back, not knowing much about it, just thinking that it looked cool. I had a chance to cook with it, and man is it awesome. Sharp as a lightsaber. It should come with sound effects.

I have a 15 year old Henkel chef's knife that is some what dull. I've taken it to get professionally sharpened at two different places. Neither one was able to bring it back to life. At the second one, the guy said he didn't know what was wrong with it, but he had tried everything, no dice.

So I went and bought a Shun. No sharpness problems with that.

Which of the various Shun lines did you choose?

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't wait till someone buys the two Shuns my fiancee and I registered for - 10 inch chef and 9 in slicer. I keep checking on Williams Sonoma in hopes these are the first items to be bought.

The associate who helped us mentioned you can send back Shun knives to the distributor and they will sharpen them for free, you jsut have to pay for shipping.

Looks like I will just have to wait until next April until our wedding, and in the meantime use our Henckels. We just had these handsharpened at Stoddard's so they are having a bit of a renaissance in our kitchen.

Swann

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dokelroth
Which of the various Shun lines did you choose?
AFAIK there is only one Shun line made by KAI. The other two somewhat cheaper knife series also made by KAI are Wasabi and Magoroku.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
There are at least three lines. I bought the regular for my father, and the elite for myself. Partly I liked the handle better, partly I just let myself get talked into it by a good looking sales lady.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haven't tried them, since our Globals have been getting the job done. Mind you, I am concerned that they were poorly sharpened (during an extended absence) and may not be salvageable
confused.gif

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eg1
Haven't tried them, since our Globals have been getting the job done. Mind you, I am concerned that they were poorly sharpened (during an extended absence) and may not be salvageable
confused.gif

As long as there is metal on the blade, it can be re-honed. You may need to do a back bevel (30 degrees) to remove the shoulder and prepare for a better 40 degree edge.

rxcats

Reaction score
I have Wusthof, Henckels and Global. Global is my favorite by far.

nioh

Reaction score
While Global are good knives, I'm very bored with mine. I'll definitely be considering Shun to take the soon to be open slots in my kitchen.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads