or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Kitchen Knives
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Kitchen Knives - Page 29

post #421 of 430
Wake up, thread.

Not a single mention of Zwilling in this thread. Is there a reason for that? Or are they called Henckels in the US?
post #422 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOBD View Post

Wake up, thread.

Not a single mention of Zwilling in this thread. Is there a reason for that?

over here, zwilling is henckels. for years the two big kitchen knives sold in the us were henckels and wusthoff (and a trickle of the various sabatier brands). for me, wusthoff was a much better knife. and then along came all the japanese knives, etc. henckels (zwilling) is a decent supermarket knife, but that's pretty much it. is it different in the EU?
post #423 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodguy View Post

over here, zwilling is henckels. for years the two big kitchen knives sold in the us were henckels and wusthoff (and a trickle of the various sabatier brands). for me, wusthoff was a much better knife. and then along came all the japanese knives, etc. henckels (zwilling) is a decent supermarket knife, but that's pretty much it. is it different in the EU?

I realized it might be Henckels when I saw the full name of Zwilling (Zwilling J.A. Henckels)... smile.gif

I'm not sure what a supermarket brand is, but I don't think they're sold in supermarkets over here. You can buy them in kitchen stores that also sell brands like Sabatier, Global and Wusthoff as well.

Here's the site, to give you an idea:

http://www.zwilling.com/en/knife-series.1206.html
post #424 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOBD View Post

I realized it might be Henckels when I saw the full name of Zwilling (Zwilling J.A. Henckels)... smile.gif

I'm not sure what a supermarket brand is, but I don't think they're sold in supermarkets over here. You can buy them in kitchen stores that also sell brands like Sabatier, Global and Wusthoff as well.

Here's the site, to give you an idea:

http://www.zwilling.com/en/knife-series.1206.html

I have a Henckels that I like. It's not one of their top end lines, but it works fine.

Unfortunately, I can honestly say that I wouldn't buy it again since the $23 Victorinox knife is better in most ways. The Victorinox/Forschner was also better than another knife I recently compared it directly against (can't remember if it was the 8" henckels Twin Pro-S or the Wustoff Classic since they both look alike).
post #425 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOBD View Post


I'm not sure what a supermarket brand is, but I don't think they're sold in supermarkets over here.

aaargh! i meant to say department store brand.
post #426 of 430
smile.gif Ah, yes they're also sold in (the more expensive) department stores over here, foodguy (again like Global and Sabatier).

Thanks, otc. What does a simple Henckels chef's knife approximately cost in the US?
post #427 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOBD View Post

smile.gif
Thanks, otc. What does a simple Henckels chef's knife approximately cost in the US?
they're usually around $100. Wusthoff and Global are roughly the same.
post #428 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodguy View Post

they're usually around $100. Wusthoff and Global are roughly the same.

I guess that's about the same as here. I bought mine in my student years, and thought I had a really, really good one. smile.gif (Could have bought many beers instead.)

Anyway, I've grown used to it, it feels good in my hand and I only do simple cooking. Next step is learning how to sharpen it (been reading the knife sharpening thread).
post #429 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOBD View Post

Anyway, I've grown used to it, it feels good in my hand and I only do simple cooking. Next step is learning how to sharpen it (been reading the knife sharpening thread).
you're way ahead of most. every time someone starts going on about the newest single-bevel gyuto, I want to ask: "but how does it feel in your hand?" (no homo) and "but do you know how to use it and keep it sharp?" (come to think about it ...). some of the best cooks i learned from did most of their work with restaurant supply knives (like forschner).
post #430 of 430
Yes, I like how it feels, and I'm going to stick with it and see if I can learn to sharpen it myself with a stone; I think that could be a rewarding task. Was thinking about this one:

http://www.knivesandtools.nl/nl/pt/-naniwa-watersteen-korrel-1000-3000.htm

Anyway, sleeping time over here... Thanks for the info!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Kitchen Knives