or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Kitchen Knives
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Kitchen Knives - Page 26

post #376 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

if you spent $300 on overpriced global knives and you dont want to spend time learning proper knife sharpening go with the edge pro
http://www.edgeproinc.com/
this is a little pricey (well, not by SF standards), but it really works extremely well. in fact, if you're not into the zen of stone sharpening, this is the ticket. only the very best stone sharpeners can get a better edge. and it's basically foolproof (said the fool).
post #377 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post

oh, heavens no. Depending on how it will be served, either a kitchen axe or sledgeomatic.

I forgot to mention I am not Gallagher!

It wasn't a question of SHOULD you, it was a question of which do you use.
post #378 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodguy View Post

this is a little pricey (well, not by SF standards), but it really works extremely well. in fact, if you're not into the zen of stone sharpening, this is the ticket. only the very best stone sharpeners can get a better edge. and it's basically foolproof (said the fool).

you have one? you like it over sharpening on stones?

stones have a kind of romantic notion to it but i imagine when i get busier i wont want to bother
post #379 of 430
i've got one and if i'm in a hurry, it gets me a sharper edge faster and easier than a stone. but i'm a guy who collects mortar-and-pestles. i WILL master free-sharpening. and it will rock. but until then, yeah, i fall back on the edgepro all the time.
EDINA ALERT
post #380 of 430
Free sharpening is easy and fast. It takes about 20 seconds to make a dozen passes on a stone, and the angle becomes habit. A lot of people screw up by putting pressure on the forward stroke rather than the back, and this increases the time fifty fold.
post #381 of 430
Thread Starter 
I have a hard time with many things but I learned to free sharpen on a stone remarkably fast.
post #382 of 430
when i sharpen i get a reasonable speed (i try and concentrate on the angle and i look for the right sounds), but i'm still inexperienced so i generally end up not being satisfied when i test the blade and then have to resharpen. with like 4 knives it takes awhile. maybe like 30 minutes to an hour with soaking time.

also i clearly can't get precise angles sharpening by hand and can't help to wonder how better it would be if i could specify angles within a few degrees
post #383 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by constant struggle View Post

I forgot to mention I am not Gallagher!
It wasn't a question of SHOULD you, it was a question of which do you use.

Chef's knife.

Also, like Matt said, freehand sharpening is not nearly as awful or difficult as people make it out to be. I briefly considered doing up a belt sharpener out of a spare motor I have but realized I might save a minute, tops, unless I'm widening a bevel or sanding a razor.
post #384 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by constant struggle View Post

What knife do you all use for cutting through things like cantaloupes?
my butler

on the topic of maintenance, honing is just as important as sharpening

Wustof+Honing+Steel.jpg
post #385 of 430
any recs for a decent 9-10" forged chefs knife? looking at maybe a wusthof classic since ive been decently pleased with their cheaper gourmet line, but I'm also interested in what japanese options are worth looking into. pricing is flexible but lets just say preferably nothing higher than 125$
post #386 of 430
tojiro, togiharu, zhen
post #387 of 430
I read the past few pages, and admittedly only searched desultorily.

My question - any link to a good primer on kitchen knives - types, when to use, brands etc? I found the two below:

One

Two
post #388 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

tojiro, togiharu, zhen
thanks for rec


atm i think im split between either getting a jck kagayaki 240mm gyuto ( http://japanesechefsknife.com/KAGAYAKIVG-10.html ) or tojiro db 240 ( http://www.chefknivestogo.com/todpchkn24.html )
post #389 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by PipersSon View Post

I read the past few pages, and admittedly only searched desultorily.
My question - any link to a good primer on kitchen knives - types, when to use, brands etc? I found the two below:
One
Two

The following book is very good:

http://www.amazon.com/An-Edge-Kitchen-Ultimate-Knives/dp/0061188484/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337102036&sr=8-1
post #390 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternaldrake View Post

thanks for rec
atm i think im split between either getting a jck kagayaki 240mm gyuto ( http://japanesechefsknife.com/KAGAYAKIVG-10.html ) or tojiro db 240 ( http://www.chefknivestogo.com/todpchkn24.html )

Either would be a good choice so I don't think you can go wrong, and both retailers are excellent. I got my Hattori FH 240 gyuto from JCK and they were a pleasure to deal with. The Kagayaki is 60/40 is the Tojiro 50/50? You should also invest in a couple of stones too to sharpen them on. If you haven't found it, here's my favorite kitchen knife forum:
http://knifeforums.com/forums/showforum.php?fid/26/nfbb_session_id/f0b84fef1b02f8cb8305320cd3ddeae2/

Be warned, clicking that link can get expensive. Of course so can SF smile.gif
Fred
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Kitchen Knives