or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Kitchen Knives
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Kitchen Knives - Page 24

post #346 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thin Man View Post

I went through this thread recently seeking an answer to the same question. It seemed that Wusthof was the consensus budget choice.
they make a few lines - some manufactured in europe, some in asia. i would atleast get ones with the forged blade and full length tang. otherwise, if going stamped, might as well go Forschner and save money
post #347 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trompe le Monde View Post

they make a few lines - some manufactured in europe, some in asia. i would atleast get ones with the forged blade and full length tang. otherwise, if going stamped, might as well go Forschner and save money

I did a side by side comparison of the lauded victorinox/forschner chef's knife and a henckels pro-s (about equivalent to a wustoff classic) after I gave my mother one for christmas and my dad gave her the other.

She voted to keep the victorinox. I far prefer the handle and feeling of the bolster on the wustoff...but the cutting action and thinness of the blade on the victorinox just made it so much better to use. It was a factory edge test, but someone worried about best budget knives is probably not going to sharpen often.

at $20-25 for the victorinox vs $150 for the germans...it is a no-brainer as to which is the best budget knife.
post #348 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

I did a side by side comparison of the lauded victorinox/forschner chef's knife and a henckels pro-s (about equivalent to a wustoff classic) after I gave my mother one for christmas and my dad gave her the other.
She voted to keep the victorinox. I far prefer the handle and feeling of the bolster on the wustoff...but the cutting action and thinness of the blade on the victorinox just made it so much better to use. It was a factory edge test, but someone worried about best budget knives is probably not going to sharpen often.
at $20-25 for the victorinox vs $150 for the germans...it is a no-brainer as to which is the best budget knife.

definitely, nothing beats the handfeel -- weight and grip -- of the real knife.
i gave my mother a nice japanese knife. when i saw it a year later, the blade was chipped to pieces, and she also complained it was too heavy foo.gif
forschner would have been perfect for her
post #349 of 430
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post

Being lazy here, I didn't read through the entire thread. Is there a consensus recommendation for a budget set of kitchen knives with decent quality? I just want a basic set: chef knife, veggie, bread, scissors and whatever else. Thanks.

K, for truly cheap knives you cannot beat forschner. Honestly, I would rather have several of these plus one killer gyuto than a whole set of a lot of other mid-priced knives.

For your "special" knife, try this place:

http://www.towncutler.com/Town_Cutler/Town_Cutler.html

I was just there Saturday and it is really cool.
post #350 of 430
first, matt was joking about the dishwasher. one trip through the dishwasher won't do anything bad except dull them a little (check the blades just to be sure they weren't packed in too close and picked up nicks, though).
cheap knives? there are lots of options. i like wusthoff, but there are those who would argue they're not cheap. forschner is good, so is MAC. repeating the standard advice, because it's true, you only need 3 knives: a chef's knife, a paring knife and a serrated slicer for bread. everything else is commentary. which isn't to say they aren't fun.
post #351 of 430
Thread Starter 
Forschner is way cheaper than mac or wusthof.
post #352 of 430
It would probably be best to give a price range when asking about the best "budget" knife sets.
post #353 of 430
What about best budget knife for fish?

Talking like victorinox+ price range (although most filet knives seem cheaper than chef's so this might be a lot wider of a range)
post #354 of 430
go with forschner if $25, 30 is about what you want to spend

if you want something a little better i would highly recommend zhen's vg-10 knives or tojiro dp for about $80 or $90
post #355 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

K, for truly cheap knives you cannot beat forschner. Honestly, I would rather have several of these plus one killer gyuto than a whole set of a lot of other mid-priced knives.
For your "special" knife, try this place:
http://www.towncutler.com/Town_Cutler/Town_Cutler.html
I was just there Saturday and it is really cool.

The Forschners are cheap enough to have for when guests want to help, and solid enough to not embarrass you.

OT, why do people want to help cut things and do easy prep work, but never to wash the pots/pans/dishes?
post #356 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post

The Forschners are cheap enough to have for when guests want to help, and solid enough to not embarrass you.
OT, why do people want to help cut things and do easy prep work, but never to wash the pots/pans/dishes?
DT: why do i enjoy masturbation before i blow, but not after?
post #357 of 430
hmmm, since you put it that way...
post #358 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post

The Forschners are cheap enough to have for when guests want to help, and solid enough to not embarrass you.
OT, why do people want to help cut things and do easy prep work, but never to wash the pots/pans/dishes?

Nice people often offer to help with my dishes, but I almost always decline. They rarely want to help with prep work. Maybe I live in bizzaro world.
post #359 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsstillmatt View Post

Nice people often offer to help with my dishes, but I almost always decline. They rarely want to help with prep work. Maybe I live in bizzaro world.
. . . and that is why they offer.
post #360 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsstillmatt View Post

Nice people often offer to help with my dishes, but I almost always decline. They rarely want to help with prep work. Maybe I live in bizzaro world.


That's my typical experience as well.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Kitchen Knives