or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › The time to buy a new computer is NEVER
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The time to buy a new computer is NEVER - Page 7

post #91 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Yew View Post
You see it as searching the "wrong location" (which makes no sense anyway since it's indexed already). I see it as searching everything that the computer has access to because it can. It's a user interface failing that MS search is not exploiting the strengths of a computer (brute force repetitive work) and the strengths of a human (post-search qualitative filtering of the results). Instead it reverses the situation by forcing the user to remember where their file or phrase or whatever might be, and then telling that to the computer. Even configured the way you suggest, there are still two fields: filename and word or phrase. Why should these two things be differentiated? Just show me all the results, and I can use my brain to quickly filter out the results. --Andre
I must give you credit for stubbornly refusing to use any rational thinking, only relying on your gut instinct that one brand works and one brand doesnt, even when they are essentially exactly the same. Coke and Pepsi are slightly different colas, but they are essentially the same. I'm not saying you can't have a preference, but arguing which is absolutely BETTER - and repeatedly using other people's fabricated viewpoints, faulty reasoning, and poorly thought out and incorrect "proofs" to back up your argument - is getting a little absurd. If you prefer Google, feel free to use it. I know I do. I don't think you are even coming close to using it as intended, or to its potential, assuming that you apparently ONLY actually search for random words in random places hoping that what you are looking for (even if you didn't know you were looking for it) will come up, or search for things you don't know exist instead of using it as a search tool to find specific items . (YOU said it, not me!) I just hope you don't navigate while driving the same way you internet search.
Quote:
Now where is that Grocery store - I think I'll start by looking at this US national highway map. Hmm... look! A National park! I didn't know that was there! I am amazed at the comprehensive search results I'm finding in this book! I don't see any grocery stores, per se, but I bet that If I drive down I-5 in a southerly direction towards Yosemite, I can use my brain to filter out which buildings are grocery stores and which ones aren't!
post #92 of 119
I really don't understand why there's a debate here. Windows search is such a hassle to use, while Spotlight works like a charm. Searching is an upside-down triangle - you start broad and refine as you go through it. Requiring extra input from the start defeats the purpose and convenience of searching.
Quote:
Now where is that Grocery store - I think I'll start by looking at this US national highway map. Hmm... look! A National park! I didn't know that was there! I am amazed at the comprehensive search results I'm finding in this book! I don't see any grocery stores, per se, but I bet that If I drive down I-5 in a southerly direction towards Yosemite, I can use my brain to filter out which buildings are grocery stores and which ones aren't!
This is one hell of an analogy and a huge stretch, and you've completely missed the point. Spotlight search makes it so you don't have to go looking through the interstate maps in detail in the first place, because it's going to look through it and find only the parts that you might need. So to follow your analogy, it would be like you're looking for "grocery stores," and you find "supermarket, farmers market, convenience store, liquor store," etc. Huge convenience and very friendly to the user. The Windows equivalent would be you're looking for "grocery stores," but you have to specify that you're looking for a Ralph's, not an Albertson's, so you're constantly going to be told "it's not here, guess something else and try again." Again, this argument just doesn't make sense. Find/Search has always been a weakness of Windows. You'd have to be a rabid fanboy to not see the huge flaws.
post #93 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian SD View Post
I really don't understand why there's a debate here. Windows search is such a hassle to use, while Spotlight works like a charm. Searching is an upside-down triangle - you start broad and refine as you go through it. Requiring extra input from the start defeats the purpose and convenience of searching.
A: I was not talking to you. Stay out unless you want some. If you don't understand why there is a debate, you obviously aren't on the same page as everyone else involved. (IE Me - since I'm still not sure that Andre is capable of grasping the concept of logic or reason, and nobody else is really arguing.) I don't know what you are talking about, anyways - MS Search works just as well as spotlight does... at least in my experience. You just have to not be a complete idiot to use it. As I mentioned, it is quite simple to set MS up to do the exact same thing that Spotlight, Google, or any other indexing search engine does if that is your preference. There is no "magic" involved in spotlight. It is an extremely typical indexing search program.
Quote:
This is one hell of an analogy and a huge stretch, and you've completely missed the point. Spotlight search makes it so you don't have to go looking through the interstate maps in detail in the first place, because it's going to look through it and find only the parts that you might need. So to follow your analogy, it would be like you're looking for "grocery stores," and you find "supermarket, farmers market, convenience store, liquor store," etc. Huge convenience and very friendly to the user.
B: No, it is YOU who have missed the point. My analogy was not in regards to Spotlight, or Google, or Yahoo but to how Andre Yew has stated that he searches for stuff. And I am not defending Windows search. I am insulting that piece of shit anti-MS propaganda bashfest of an article that Andre decided to post as if it were the bible. Butt out unless you want a piece, Mary. I haven't done any Apple bashing in this thread... YET.
post #94 of 119
Christofuhposted a price quote of an $1800 mac that's as powerful as a $1000 Dell laptop with a mag case (search Vostro) =/ well, some love their kiton.. but name brand stuff minus the quality has never been for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christofuh View Post
< Snort > I was told by a rep ( not some oily salesman ) from Apple that doing A/B spec comparison vis-à-vis retail price isn't appropriate due to Macs featuring a different architecture. Therefore any on-paper similiar specs don't suggest comparable performance. Macs are superior ( to PC ) performers which is what commands the price premium. Discuss
Sorry mate, you can't trust those salesmen. That USED to be true, when Macs have different chipsets than Intels but not anymore. From what I've understood, Macs have had to change alot of their architecture to become compatible with the intel chipset (someone more informed than I can elaborate) and as a result have the design/functions have become closer to PCs than the older Macs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratboycom View Post
By different architecture he meant Intel Chipset right? OH SNAP DAWG! or stupid suck one button mouse
Looks like it was already covered. (And the one button mouse is really quite silly and is just an example of the stubborness of Apple and how they held off introducing the 2+ button mice for so long; like company like user? not for me to decide) Bouji, look for NEC notebooks They're hot. Btw, if you're having trouble setting up computer parts/software, google it. I'm not a comp sci students like my friends are but I always seem to figure out any computer problems I encounter in a few minutes with a simple search. Instead of sitting around & whining (like some of my friends) waiting for some help from friends, I actually google stuff. Computers won't often fix themselves. Even the Mac has their "genius bar" (lol). Another thing - keep you PC clean and it won't slow down. Fill up your HD and of course it will slow down
Quote:
Originally Posted by whacked View Post
In another story, our beloved Artisan Fan was told ( on a number of occasions ) by the American head ( not some oily salesman ) of Kiton that its jackets were 100% handmade and features 25 - 28 hours of handwork. Discuss.
hmm are you saying it would be difficult to convince any mac users of anything without tearing apart their macs.. What's wrong with Windows Search function? It's always worked for me perfectly. If you're looking for something, search the name; how hard can it be? I mean, if you don't know what you're looking for I don't see how you can complain the search doesn't work.
post #95 of 119
Quote:
hmm are you saying it would be difficult to convince any mac users of anything without tearing apart their macs..

post #96 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim View Post
I just hope you don't navigate while driving the same way you internet search.
+1 --Andre
post #97 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim View Post
You are drowning in the kool-aid brotha.



First of all, I never said that I liked MS search. I barely ever use it. I don't have much cause to use any search programs on my computer. I know where everything is already. So you better get your facts straight before accusing me of defending MS search. Something that so far in this thread, I HAVE NOT DONE. In fact, I agreed several times that the dog sucks, and said that the indexing programs are probably better for most people. So... um explaining to me why it sucks is sort of moot. I am not defending the fact that it's slow. I've been pointing out that aside from bitching about the animated avatar, that article you posted is 99% bullshit.

For web stuff I use Google, and you must use something different altogether, because your comprehension of what Google does and does not do is just plain wrong. Anyone here can simply go to Google and type in "Bob Marley" or whatever and see that you are incorrect, It will bring up exactly ZERO PICTURE FILES. Why? Because you didn't tell it thats what you were looking for. In fact, if you are looking - up in the top left hand corner, you'll see the default setting is for "web". Which means that all the search results are going to be in web page form, and it found the results through a search of searching TEXT. Go ahead and try to find a direct link from that search to a .jpeg. Get back to me when you find one and let me know what page it's on. You can, by the way, save yourself a step and just click on "images" to begin with before you search, like MS makes you do.

So I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish by lying outright and hoping nobody has the balls to call you on it.

I've said my piece, if you want to continue making yourself look like a ass by spouting falsities to prove whatever point it is that you are trying to make, (do you even have one?) because you cannot conceive nor admit that I made a valid and correct point, be my guest.
When I clicked on your link I got two pictures of Bob Marley, including the first Google hit.
post #98 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post
When I clicked on your link I got two pictures of Bob Marley, including the first Google hit.
I'm not sure why... I didn't when I tried it again just now. Can you post a screen shot of what comes up? First result = music search results search link. second result = Bob Marley: The Official Site
post #99 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by briancl View Post
The different here is greater than "They both use Intel, so they're practically the same". With a Mac, you are limited in that hardware that Apple lets you select. You can select a couple different Intel CPU's and a couple different RAM, Video card, and Display configurations, but really only a couple of each. You might have a total of 40 different configurations within each product. With a PC, you have millions of different configuration options. It's pretty much limitless. Additionally, once you have configured and purchased your system, you are more likely able to upgrade your system later down the road in many different ways.
The reality is that the overwhelming majority of people who use or purchase computers never upgrade their computer, laptop or desktop. Heck a large number of people think installing third-party software on their computer is risky like surgery. Laptops are hard to take apart and everything for the most part is soldered on (processor, GPU). Memory and hard drives are the same for Macs and PCs and can be upgraded, if one is so inclined. On the desktop side, manufacturers change card standards (PCI, PCI-e, PCI-x) and processor sockets quite often. If I were to upgrade my desktop PC to a different processor, I'd need a new motherboard and new memory to go along with my new processor. A couple of years ago, I would have needed all that AND a 24-pin "ATX v2" power supply. It is just as expensive to upgrade a PC over time as it is to upgrade a Mac.
post #100 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim View Post
I'm not sure why... I didn't when I tried it again just now. Can you post a screen shot of what comes up?

First result = music search results search link.

second result = Bob Marley: The Official Site

I'm not sure why it happens either, could be platform/browser specific, doens't matter, but sometimes the search returns with "Picture results for X" with a couple pictures and then the normal listings.
post #101 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by adversity04 View Post
I'm not sure why it happens either, could be platform/browser specific, doens't matter, but sometimes the search returns with "Picture results for X" with a couple pictures and then the normal listings.
I've clicked on the thing a couple dozen times from a computer thats running Win2k and another running XP both in Firefox and IE. I've also tried from someone else's house. It's never come up with any links to images. I wonder if its region specific search profiling or something. Anyways. My point is still obviously proven that Google does not display all search results when you query the default "web" search. It can't. It doesn't know what you are looking for. It displays its results in some sort of pseudo-intuitive manner, and occasionally queries whether you'd like to refine your search to pictures, music, news, or etc. But not always.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Read/Write Web - 5/17/07
This morning Google unveiled minor tweaks to their search UI and expanded results. The ultimate goal of Google's revamp is to unify search results across their properties to include web search, news, blogs, images, videos, etc. all in the main Google search offering. Google is calling this Universal Search and Danny Sullivan has an excellent overview here. The changes to the search UI are, for the most part, inconspicuous. Google's new search attempts to unify its different offerings by including links, where appropriate, to additional results. For example, a query for "ruby" will offer additional results from its blogs and code search engines, a search for "puppies" will not -- but will offer results from the image search, which the "ruby" query does not do. A search for "Hillary Clinton," meanwhile, will include results from Google News as well as things like video from YouTube (as below screenshot shows).
post #102 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by raphael View Post
It is just as expensive to upgrade a PC over time as it is to upgrade a Mac.

I agree with the first three paragraphs you wrote but disagree with this sentence.

Im most cases you can always re-use PC parts even after a few years. I still use the same tower case bought in 2001. If you want to upgrade after only one or two years a desktop PC can be upgraded failry inexpensively.
post #103 of 119
Quote:
I've clicked on the thing a couple dozen times from a computer thats running Win2k and another running XP both in Firefox and IE. I've also tried from someone else's house. It's never come up with any links to images. I wonder if its region specific search profiling or something.
Is your SafeSearch on? That sometimes messes with search results, I know there's 3 or 4 levels of it so maybe you have it on different ones.

JB
post #104 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmax View Post
I agree with the first three paragraphs you wrote but disagree with this sentence.

Im most cases you can always re-use PC parts even after a few years. I still use the same tower case bought in 2001. If you want to upgrade after only one or two years a desktop PC can be upgraded failry inexpensively.

I've found with my last two Macs I really don't have to upgrade much over a long period of time. I think there's a lot to be said of the health of my processors when they're not getting repeatedly attacked or infected with viri or adware. I was quite impressed with the longevity of my last powerbook, which I upgraded simply because it seemed to be a better use of my money than replacing my hard drive.

I personally prefer running a Unix-based OS, as well. MS-Dos OSes really aren't user-friendly or elegant in any way.
post #105 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sartorian View Post
I've found with my last two Macs I really don't have to upgrade much over a long period of time. I think there's a lot to be said of the health of my processors when they're not getting repeatedly attacked or infected with viri or adware. I was quite impressed with the longevity of my last powerbook, which I upgraded simply because it seemed to be a better use of my money than replacing my hard drive.

I personally prefer running a Unix-based OS, as well. MS-Dos OSes really aren't user-friendly or elegant in any way.

ms-dos oses? you still living in the 90s?

THIS THREAD IS STUPID AND YOU'RE ALL A BUNCH OF GEEKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › The time to buy a new computer is NEVER