• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Controversy over Super Wools

dokelroth

Reaction score
Super wools are great if you like to look shiney and want your clothing to wear out in a couple of weeks.

I know there will be protests about Brioni 150s this and Kiton 180s that, but the bottom line is that they just aren't as good as good old fashioned wool. Cashmere suits are even worse. They are truly for the chumpy class.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There was a spirited debate about the piece when it was published four months ago.
rimshot.gif

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Super wools are great if you like to look shiney and want your clothing to wear out in a couple of weeks.
Rubbish. Today's mills make very nice Super 150s that hold up well over time in my experience.

dokelroth

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Rubbish. Today's mills make very nice Super 150s that hold up well over time in my experience.
Well, from that article and from my experience along with the experience of many people I know, I stand by my original statement.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Not really.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I'm just going on personal experience. My Kiton suits in Super 150s have held up very well with regular use since the early 2000s.

Some 150s are not well made but there are some that are terrific. My 180s Kitons are also doing fine so far.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm just going on personal experience. My Kiton suits in Super 150s have held up very well with regular use since the early 2000s.

Some 150s are not well made but there are some that are terrific. My 180s Kitons are also doing fine so far.

Yes, let's do this again.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Apples to apples, though, have you ever had a suit made from some of the really nice plain worsteds that are talked about on this board. I have been converted and am much happier for it.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Apples to apples, though, have you ever had a suit made from some of the really nice plain worsteds that are talked about on this board.
I've tried a number of worsted fabrics...can you be more specific? Are you talking Lesser or H&S? (No on Lesser, Yes on H&S). I did not say these are not also nice fabrics, just that the durability issue with some Supers is way overblown by my experience.

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Apples to apples, though, have you ever had a suit made from some of the really nice plain worsteds that are talked about on this board.

I have been converted and am much happier for it.

I love the heavier 80's and 100's but I have never had nor run into anyone that has their Kiton/Brioni Supers suit wear out. I have some sportcoats and suits in cashmere and with proper care look fine. Invest in the Kent Cashmere brush and basic care and I don't see them wearing out any sooner than other fabrics.

I thought that in the book from the president of Zegna that Cashmere was originally worn by hunters and Scottish clansman in harsh weather.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rssmsvc
I thought that in the book from the president of Zegna that Cashmere was originally worn by hunters and Scottish clansman in harsh weather.

Interesting...what book is this?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've tried a number of worsted fabrics...can you be more specific? Are you talking Lesser or H&S? (No on Lesser, Yes on H&S). I did not say these are not also nice fabrics, just that the durability issue with some Supers is way overblown by my experience.
Nothing in particular. I have never had anything from Lesser either. I don't really love what I have seen there. Just more generally the difference between 100s and 150s is huge.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads