or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › ethan's Musing on the Near East
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ethan's Musing on the Near East - Page 163

post #2431 of 2691
Thread Starter 


The terrorist group formerly known as Jabhat an-Nusra has broken its ties with al-Qa'ida and is now called Jabhat Fath al-Sham (The Conquest of Syria Front).

 

The leader Abu Muhammad al-Julani is in the middle showing his face for the first time. Real name Ahmed Sharaa and they're saying he was born in Daraa but grew up in Damascus. 

 

This old picture of him has turned out to be real:

post #2432 of 2691
Armenia isn't terribly happy right now with their government. That weird hostage/armed stand off going on right now at least isn't all that violent (yet).

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2016/07/27/world/europe/ap-eu-armenia-attack.html?_r=0
post #2433 of 2691
Thread Starter 

Since it's still open season on how to Englishicize جبهة فتح الشام it will be known in this thread as the Fat Hash Ham Front. 

post #2434 of 2691
"Hipster vs old skool mujahedeen"
Quote:
Despite volunteering to join a civil war, they evince little altruism. In their zeal to die, they manage to transform what in theory is the ultimate act of self-sacrifice — giving one’s life for a cause — into a profoundly selfish act.

https://theintercept.com/2016/07/30/new-documentary-pierces-the-psychology-of-modern-suicide-bombers/
post #2435 of 2691
So when does the media campaign to paint jabhat nusra as the good guys start
post #2436 of 2691
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan View Post

So when does the media campaign to paint jabhat nusra as the good guys start


It doesn't. Nobody is that delusional. 

post #2437 of 2691
I can think of at least ten media outlets and the same politicians.
post #2438 of 2691
http://www.e-ir.info/2016/08/07/excluded-the-sense-of-non-belonging-and-violent-radicalisation-in-the-uk/

another high faluting bullshit article to muddy the reasons why Arabs, Chechens, Turkmen etc love their deathcult. I say the answer is epigenetics.
I was wondering the same for a few years; how seemingly intelligent , academically successful person in Germany or other comfortable country could leave it all behind and fly a plane into a building screaming Allahu Akhb...... or licensed physician drive a firebomb into an airport, inconceivable, grotesque, anecdotal. What makes smart and successful people so batshit and stupid? Epigenetics might have the answer imo. Since intelligence and empathy are passed via genome and according to epigenetics might be formed via environmental factors such as family conditioning for learning, studying, respecting and erning for knowledge, striving to achieve certain wisdom during ones life, thus some cultures and especially muslims fail on all of these aspects and instead methodically produce idiots that create nothing but hysterical finger wagging jihadists. Wait, but majority of muslims are peaceful blah blah blah, and yet they produce zero. There is something intrinsically wrong with middle eastern and middle Asian muslim cultures, why else that area of the World would be a luggage of human civilisation for the past 500+ years producing nothing of value.
Could epigenetics be the answer? Could muslim religion and traditions condition generations of youth to moronic deathcult with terrible consequences for economic development , learning & scientific advancement?
post #2439 of 2691
I think the answer is simpler and it has more do with the level of fanaticsm that ideology can instill in humans, I do not think it's so much diffrent than for example buddhists self-immolation. Islamic suicide attacks require same level of sacrifice and come with additional promise of atonement. Diffrentce in methods is a reflection of diffrent values in these ideologies.
post #2440 of 2691
Thread Starter 

It's not Allahu akhbar. That would mean God is reports. Akbar. Greater. 

post #2441 of 2691
Quote:
Originally Posted by wojt View Post

I think the answer is simpler and it has more do with the level of fanaticsm that ideology can instill in humans, I do not think it's so much diffrent than for example buddhists self-immolation. Islamic suicide attacks require same level of sacrifice and come with additional promise of atonement. Diffrentce in methods is a reflection of diffrent values in these ideologies.

Interesting. To your point of difff. values, I would say that self-immolation is a desperate call to human empathy and not to fear of bodily harm. Although the level of indoctrination requires for both acts are certainly similar, I agree.
However it does not answer my question. There is a difference in experience between Tibetan monk who decides to protest via suicide and an urban dweller leaving all the trappings of modern Western life. I can understand how some moron from deep American South wants to beat up gays and thinks Jews are up to no good, but how the same individual can graduate at the top of his class from say MIT or Harvard and then decide ehh Allahu Fukbarf I am gonna kill me some infidels because some bearded finger wagger convinced me of martyrdom for Allah.............this is a lack of self awareness , imo, that is truly puzzling.
post #2442 of 2691

Buddhist self immolation is exactly the opposite and has nothing to do with reward for the self 

post #2443 of 2691
it's not the exactly the opposite; you forfeit your life for some greater good,
similar thing with kamikaze pilots, I don't think Islam is some extraordinary exception in this case
post #2444 of 2691

A buddhist is not rewarded for suicide he is condemned to another cycle on the wheel. Any attachment to worldly desires accrues karma . Ending ones life by ones own hand is the ultimate expression that desire. 

post #2445 of 2691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medwed View Post

http://www.e-ir.info/2016/08/07/excluded-the-sense-of-non-belonging-and-violent-radicalisation-in-the-uk/

another high faluting bullshit article to muddy the reasons why Arabs, Chechens, Turkmen etc love their deathcult. I say the answer is epigenetics.
I was wondering the same for a few years; how seemingly intelligent , academically successful person in Germany or other comfortable country could leave it all behind and fly a plane into a building screaming Allahu Akhb...... or licensed physician drive a firebomb into an airport, inconceivable, grotesque, anecdotal. What makes smart and successful people so batshit and stupid? Epigenetics might have the answer imo. Since intelligence and empathy are passed via genome and according to epigenetics might be formed via environmental factors such as family conditioning for learning, studying, respecting and erning for knowledge, striving to achieve certain wisdom during ones life, thus some cultures and especially muslims fail on all of these aspects and instead methodically produce idiots that create nothing but hysterical finger wagging jihadists. Wait, but majority of muslims are peaceful blah blah blah, and yet they produce zero. There is something intrinsically wrong with middle eastern and middle Asian muslim cultures, why else that area of the World would be a luggage of human civilisation for the past 500+ years producing nothing of value.
Could epigenetics be the answer? Could muslim religion and traditions condition generations of youth to moronic deathcult with terrible consequences for economic development , learning & scientific advancement?

Ummm this is not as profound as you think it is. Epigenetics IS conditioning, at a fundamental level. What you're essentially saying is that life experiences make people do crazy things.

Not exactly a revolutionary idea, is it?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › ethan's Musing on the Near East