• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lean toned swimmers build

thirteenth

Reaction score
Is it possible to achieve a lean toned swimmers build?
How?

Is achieving this dependent on genetics and bone structure or a matter of a different training and diet regimen (as opposed to bulking/adding muscle)?

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish there was a gym in my area that had a pool

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thirteenth
Is it possible to achieve a lean toned swimmers build?
How?

Is achieving this dependent on genetics and bone structure or a matter of a different training and diet regimen (as opposed to bulking/adding muscle)?

IME, most swimmers might be lean, but not exactly toned. Especially compared to bodybuilders, even top-flight swimmers have somewhat of a gut and rather flat chest.

They do have long limbs though...

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
IME, most swimmers might be lean, but not exactly toned. Especially compared to bodybuilders, even top-flight swimmers have somewhat of a gut and rather flat chest.

They do have long limbs though...

Yeah, look at the awful gut and flat chests of these swimmers.
xin_270801242224130130056.jpg

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
Light weights, long low-intensity cardio, NO alcohol (ever again), massive calorie restrictrion. If you're over 25 forget it.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by adversity04
You mean heavy weights and high intensity?

No, I think he meant what he said.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

adversity04

Reaction score
High intensity workouts will produce a greater metabolic reaction than doing long low intensity not to mention improve overall fitness greater. Heavy weights promote strength as opposed to the cardio workout which is high rep low weight. It's hard to gain weight and bulk, it takes effort. Doing what I've said will help much more in the development of lean muscle mass than the others will. I used to do low weight high cardio and it's nothing compared to the high intensity, heavy weight that I've been doing of late. I'm much leaner than I was previously. I'm speaking from what has worked for me with much success as opposed to what everyone else I have ever known suggested to me for just 'toning.' See research of Tabata for HIIT-type training and it's effects on fitness (link is just site with a summary) http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...20/ai_n6011850 And Crossfit for more information than you probably want... http://www.crossfit.com Diet is going to be the controlling factor on whether or not you add poundage and how lean you end up being. If you're eating crap you'll either put on fat or not maintain the muscle you have while working out. High intensity will help burn calories faster than low intensity.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
+1 and eat light.

ha!

if you swim a lot, you will end up eating a lot, and still get toned.

back when i swam in college, breakfast was like 4 or 5 strips of bacon, a couple of sausage links or patties, 4 egg whites or 2 eggs (depending on who was operating the grill), maybe some scrapple (yum!), regular coke, 2 or 3 hash browns patties or just the regular kind.

lunch was a salad, a couple of sandwiches or entrees, fries, and whatever else looked good. maybe soup.

dinner was two or three plates of food. plus salad and soup.

thank god for the unlimited meal plan.

at the time - 6'1", 135 to 140 (I'm 200-205 right now). was a long distance swimmer. but i gave up the swimming midway through my first semester right after fall break - too many good swimmers blocking me in my event, and my grades were suffering from spending 15-20 hours a week in the pool.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by greg_atlanta
Light weights, long low-intensity cardio, NO alcohol (ever again), massive calorie restrictrion. If you're over 25 forget it.
My fraternity was almost half swimmers and water polo players. I have never seen a group of guys smoke more pot, blow more coke and drink more beer. They all looked to be in good shape, but it was not from clean living.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads