or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › WTF, Browne?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

WTF, Browne? - Page 2

post #16 of 168
I refuse to pay more than $700 for my new Brooks Brothers codpiece-cum-wrestling singlet.
post #17 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIdler View Post
I refuse to pay more than $700 for my new Brooks Brothers codpiece-cum-wrestling singlet.

Did you intend the pun? Or does it come quite naturally?
post #18 of 168
All my postings are as carefully planned as Mr. Browne's garments.
post #19 of 168
I'm really glad that a bunch of guys who typically prefer men's classic tailored clothing are looking at a runway show that has the sole purpose of gaining editorial attention and in turn pick out the few "way out there pieces" and read it as though it will be TB's design doctrine for next Spring.

These are fantastic:

Finally I can now have $1,000 boardshorts.

Nice new polos with a different take on his stripes

Love the fabric and the short sleeves


Looks like he is doing velcro again, like he did on his ski blazers for F/W06

Awesome coat


Really want the s/s sweater...I can see GetSmart in the shirt

Great look and texture with the seersucker and cashmere vest

Awesome raincoat
post #20 of 168
There are some good pieces in the collection, but.. who will notice them, when there are outifts that make gaultier look tame.



I feel for the tailors who made these garments. they must have been really confused.

carl
post #21 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven View Post
I feel for the tailors who made these garments. they must have been really confused.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC View Post
I'm really glad that a bunch of guys who typically prefer men's classic tailored clothing are looking at a runway show that has the sole purpose of gaining editorial attention and in turn pick out the few "way out there pieces" and read it as though it will be TB's design doctrine for next Spring.
+1

It looks like he's trying to bring back the club collar, which I think is kind of cool. Brooks Brothers tried that a couple years ago and failed miserably (a couple months ago, eBay was flooded with them, New: With Tags, at $14.99).

I think he can be a little over the top, but I kind of dig a lot of it.
post #22 of 168
Please note the hand positioning of the models, I wonder if the T.B. clones out there will copy that aspect of the look, it will really polish off the look.
REEETARDED.
Also, the convenient crotch flaps, to check if you still have genitals, or rather to check when the genitals are no longer there, to know that the clone transformation is complete!
post #23 of 168
I'm the first to fall for outlandishness, as long as there is real talent behind it. But this, to me, looks like an exercise in absurdity. There is a fine line to walk when playing the avant guardian and it looks like Mr. Browne may have crossed it. The proportions are not only quirky, but make the models look like children in ill-fitting clothing. And he piles on the gimmicks. It's easy to be gimmicky. It's much more difficult to do something interesting that people actually want to wear. It's also 2007. Anybody that is impressed by such "outré" fashion at this point hasn't been paying attention. Absurdity is passé. Just about any fool with some cash and an atelier could crank out this tripe.
post #24 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdykarim View Post
Brooks Brothers tried that a couple years ago and failed miserably (a couple months ago, eBay was flooded with them, New: With Tags, at $14.99).

Yeah, it was great! But I, uh, sent Brooks Brothers the difference between that and full retail...
post #25 of 168
I honestly can't understand the majority of the posts in this thread. Since when is 'you can't really wear that' anything like a meaningful criticism of what you see on fashion runways.

For me, the bigger failing is the lack of creativity in the more wearable pieces. It seems like he's still trading off the too-short / too-tight suits in classic colors and fabrics without much variation.

I wonder how much longer he can keep that up and when he's going to have to come up with a new gimmick to stay popular.
post #26 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian View Post
Since when is 'you can't really wear that' anything like a meaningful criticism of what you see on fashion runways.

Precisely why bothering to do it at all is boring.

I am an ex-punk that ran around in the most outlandish clothing you could imagine -- in the '80s and '90s. At this point it's all been said. It's all been done. Really, what can you do to shock anyone?

Elsa Schiaparelli was shocking. Seventy-five years later, TB is a bore.
post #27 of 168
I wonder how much longer he can keep that up and when he's going to have to come up with a new gimmick to stay popular.

*************************************
To be a formidable fashion designer, is a daunting task. Each collection must be different, while staying faithful to the designer's vision and style. It's natural to ease into a consistency that passes for an insignia. Christian Dior produced strikingly different collections, each season. By the time he died, he'd arrived at the absolute opposite of the purpose for opening his salon: a 'shapeless' chemise dress. So much for forgotten tailoring techniques, and hourglass silhouettes. Speculation was that had Dior not died, he'd have retired after ten years in the business.

I think Mr. Browne, has an eye. He understands rhythm. Some of his ensembles, appear to have been cleverly thought out. To be honest, it's my opinion that he'd like to do sleek, streamlined tailoring with a more 'accepted' fit and measure. But then he'd face the wrath of many critics who'd start to label his work, 'safe' and boring.
post #28 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanC View Post
Yeah, it was great! But I, uh, sent Brooks Brothers the difference between that and full retail...

And they thank you for your support.
post #29 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian View Post
I honestly can't understand the majority of the posts in this thread. Since when is 'you can't really wear that' anything like a meaningful criticism of what you see on fashion runways.
(...)

True, but I can't help but notice that all but one of his models are rather surly in appearance. The lone exception that I could see was smirking.

He certainly is getting attention, and this outlandishness could translate into easier acceptance once these designs become transformed into something people might willingly wear.
post #30 of 168
Why is everything I see done by him so short in the legs....is he expecting the great flood? Some of the later photos were kind of ok, but far from worth running out to get. I'd consider keeping them if I found it while thrifting.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › WTF, Browne?