How do the Uniqlo vintage chinos compare with these in terms of being slim or skinny?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Price Drop 3/12: Arfango, Valentini, Incotex, Pringle, Barba, Loro Piana, Boglioli ++ Last post on 3/12/11 at 11:45pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- FS: 5/18 Final Drops Incotex cotton pants Last post on 5/21/11 at 2:13pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- Drops - only 3 left! New Pants - PT01, PT05, E. Zegna, Incotex... Last post on 4/9/15 at 7:59pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Drops! Incotex, PT01, Canali, Belvest, etc. - All sizes! Last post on 3/16/15 at 11:24am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Pants: PT01, Incotex, Ermenegildo Zegna - Small and Large Sizes! Last post on 1/24/15 at 11:02am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Slim Fit Khaki's/Chino's - Page 119
So I came to see the Unis Gio in person today.
Very mixed emotion and thought.
First of all, everything that has been said about the Unis Gio is true. Amazing fabric and meticulous construction. The fabric is dense and substantial, but not heavy at all. A very agreeable weight and smooth hand, with thickness just enough for us to be sure they will last through a few years' washing. Set-in belt loops, tab closure, button fly, corozo, full-curtain waistband, 'hidden' stitching. Nothing's left out, and perhaps nothing can be done better.
Second, the fit. They are truly true to size, i.e., one inch smaller in the waist than J.Crew or BR's chinos (and two inches smaller than Club Monaco's, I hasten to add.)
But they are far from well-fitting on everyone as some people have claimed, because of three things. The seat is large, the crotch is very short, and that doesn't mesh very well with the true-to-size waist. It's far from an ideal combination. The third thing, which was the thing that ruined it for me, is the leg. Unis Gio has a uniform inseam of 35", which means you will have to hem the legs if you're not tall by common standard. The problem is, the taper of the legs is not very pronounced. I recalled it being almost straight from the knee down. If I owned these pants, not only would I have to hem them up 5" but also ask my tailor to taper them so that they fit in terms of both length and shape. One inseam surely doesn't fit all.
(or, if it's your thing, you can just cuff them up. Cuffs naturally force the fabric to scrunch up and the legs to taper.)
Third, is the overall value of the stuff, or rather the sense of buying it. I don't know, and can't probably argue against anybody, but I didn't feel a strong intuition that this is a good buy, as I always do when something is. Sure, the fabric and construction is AMAZING, and the fit, though not without flaws, works better on most people than most other chinos, but I can't justify spending $200 on them. It's an arbitrary feeling that the tradeoff is not worth it. I buy the fabric and the construction, but I don't buy the made-in-USA. If I were an economist, I could even empirically point out how the made-in-USA approach doesn't help anybody, not the consumers and definitely not Unis.
I wish a bigger company would do this. Take the same fabric and design, offer different inseams, and move production to a reasonably decent factory in China. Even at $150, this thing will be a much better buy than it is now. (Well, some colors are on sale at $99 and I will probably order them tonight, but I just want to let my thought out.)
By the way, the pair in the photo is the 'royal' color. More of a lilac than french blue color, if you're interested.
Edited by xxxamazexxx - 8/7/13 at 6:40pm
i would second this although i don't own West Is Dead.
I feel a little bad not being more enthusiast because west is dead has a great backstory and they seem like good folks. But I generally like the fabric, details, cut and construction bettter on those other brands.
Some left field stuff on sale at BiG.
- › Cars We Drive! 31 seconds ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 5 minutes ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 6 minutes ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 10 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL Trump v. Clinton Debate Thread 14 minutes ago
- › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** 15 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 17 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 18 minutes ago
- › Eidos Napoli 21 minutes ago
- › Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion 21 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...