• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unexpected encounters with celebrities

caelte

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Years ago, I was sketching in the front yard of the guest house I was staying at in Santa Fe. A voice said, "I like your stone sculptures." I looked up, it was Julia Child. ( She was referring to some rock cairns I had assembled to decorate the yard). Turned out she was a relative of the owner of the mini- estate I was staying at. Wow, Julia Child. "I can't offer you anything because it would be so inferior and I would be totally humilitated."

Another time, long ago and far away, I was-very early,about 6 AM,- rounding the corner of the Conservatory in Golden Gate Park in San Francisco, I ran directly into Katharine Hepburn. I was really fkn stunned, speechless.

Anyone else ever had this kind of experience.

( I've had others, but these two are the best.)

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I once saw Penn and Teller in the Vegas airport just standing around and talking to eachother. It was kind of surreal.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Billy Idol, Peter Jennings, Dan Rather, Drew Barrymore.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Billy Idol, Peter Jennings, Dan Rather, Drew Barrymore.
Jennings? That must've been awesome. I literally walked into David Cassidy at the track. He said, "Sorry kid" and kept on moving. I talked briefly with Joe Pesci there too, and have seen Bill Parcells placing a bet.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not really a celebrity. But I had dinner with artist Evelyn Rosenberg (sat right next to her) earlier this year. She invented detonography. Anyway, when she walked into the room, it took me awhile to realize who she was, but when I did, I seriously flipped my ****. I saw her specials on the discovery channel and 20/20 YEARS ago.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I was thrifting in Lincoln, NE once and Jenny Lewis was also thrifting. I walked up to her and said, "you know, you look an awful lot like Jenny Lewis."

Of course to this she replied, "crazy, on my better days thats who I am".

I was a little starstruck, but also she is REALLY attractive. So I was trying hard to look her in the eyes rather than... well

robbie

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last time the Jaguar CLub was in Boston, I talked to David Arquette at the show. My GF sold him a T-Shirt. He was much better dressed than his red carpet appearances on E! would suggest.

I also walked into a men's room at a play in Cambridge many years ago to see find it totally empty, save Christopher Walken zipping up his fly. I walked straight to the sink and did one of those "just came to the restroom to wash my hands, thanks very much" things. He complimented my tie. eery.

EDIT: also, Tom Hanks was at my college graduation, but his daughter was in my class and the whole crowd was pointing like a pack of japanese tourists, so it was hardly "unexpected"

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by caelte
Anyone else ever had this kind of experience.

too many to remember. my favorite was mr t, alone, in an elevator. that was an awkward silence.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Donald Sutherland: grocery store in Magog
Johnny Depp: filming Secret Garden near my house; very down to earth and nice guy.
Pat Burns: nhl coach - at our hotel; a classless pig
Cliff Fletcher: another Leafs coach - nyc outside his hotel smoking a cigar. nice guy, and bigger than he looks on tv.
Doug Gilmour: Leaf's star center at the time - mother taught his daughter piano
Jose Theodor: Canadiens goalie - at our hotel
A closer for the blue jays rented our house when he got traded to the Jays. It was actually a big deal at the time. I could look him up but I don't really care. Baseball is ****.

I'm not really a star-struck kinda guy. I literally almost bumped in to sutherland, told him I enjoyed his work, and left him alone. Depp was just a really nice, normal guy and I got to chat with him a few minutes. I was really young when I met Gilmour. His wife was really pretty. I remember her more. Theodor drove a boxster; 'nuff said.
devil.gif
Burns drove a harley. he came in to the hotel, said he needed to use the washroom in an arrogant tone and proceeded to make a mess. Didn't say thanks or anything. The guy was a born asshole and the players thought so too.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I had lunch with Cary Grant when I was about two.

Who was your father that you met all these people?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ha ha... Whoops! What I meant was that I recall another thread in which you mentionned that your father had dinner with some other famous person, whose name I can't recall.

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had the pleasure of working in a place that caters to celebrities and having some high-profile friends of friends so the shock has worn off. However, as far as totally unexpected and random encounters go, I once stood beside Sylvester Stallone (his disabled son attends Grafton) in the local McDonald's. It was a little surreal. He ordered a McFish.
confused.gif

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Who was your father that you met all these people?

He may have been a very mature two year old. What I want to know is who picked up the tab. Did he have the Portehouse or the Gerbers stewed peas?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads