sorry for the long post, but living in la, random celebrity encounters happen quite often:
- When I was doing my undergrad at ucla, I was walking through westwood by the mann bruin one evening when they happened to be premiering Home Fries with Drew Barrymore and Luke Wilson. As I passed by the theater, I rubbernecked to see if I could see any of the stars but saw none. A theater employee asked if I'd like to go into the theater to watch the premier since there were a few extra spaces open so I replied "Sure!," what the heck, a free movie so why not.
When I went in, there were no seats open save for a cordoned off area in the center so the usher said it was fine for me to sit there. The house lights dimmed and the movie started. As the beginning credits come up, a few people shuffled into their seats right next to me. It was Drew Barrymore, Courtney Love, and Frances Bean Cobain. I chatted with them during and after the movie and said I loved her film (I was trying to be polite, the movie wasn't that great). When I got back to the dorms, I told all my friends that I just went to watch a movie with Drew Barrymore
other random encounters:
- matt damon cd shopping at the virgin megastore on sunset.
- took a piss next to Gilby Clark (guns n roses) at the bathroom at El Torito in Sherman Oaks... i pissed onto my own foot as I looked over and saw him.
- Destiny's Child getting off my same flight in the Narita Airport in Japan... all three looked pretty haggard after the flight.
- had breakfast at norm's with Thom Yorke (radiohead) after partying with them all night after a show in hollywood (this was bends era radiohead)
- talked to robert horry (then of the lakers) while waiting for our cars at the car wash on westwood/santa monica (he had a pimped out while benz cl600 at the time)
- pumped gas next to kobe bryant (also a mbz cl600)
- almost got run over by a range rover. I made some snide comment to my friend that it must be some damn rapper or basketball player. Passenger window rolls down and shaq sticks his head out to apologize.
- another mercedez stops short in front of me to valet his car next to cobras and matadors (spanish tapas restaurant). I stick my head out to yell at the driver. William H. Macy meekly steps out to apologize.
- back in the late nineties at a britpop mod club called cafe bleu in hollywood, a close friend introduced me to rodney bingenheimer (kroq dj) who introduced me to his buddy johnny marr (formerly of the smiths, now of modest mouse).
- kelly jones of stereophonics bought me a newcastle pre-show at the whiskey
- talked to edward norton at a hole show at the roxy. He got up on stage and played bass for a few songs. (he was dating courtney love at the time).
- chatted with alyssa milano at a remy zero show at the troubadour (she was married to the lead singer Cinjun tate).
- just 2 weeks ago, sat in a booth next to victoria beckham and her 3 kids at benihana's on la cienega.
- took a freshman english class with kerri strug (you can do it!). I was eye level with her while I was seated and she was standing... i'm only 5'9"
LA Fitness in westwood (I'm not a trainer.. just been working out here for about a decade):
- Fabio... yes, face-duck smashing while on a roller-coaster Fabio, at a spin class.
- Spotting galen gering (NBC's passions) on a bench press.
- Fabrice Morvan (the non-dead half of milli vanilli) changing in the men's locker room.
- Sat next to and talked to Triple H as he was reading US weekly on a recumbant exercise bike.
- held michelle kwan's (figure skater) feet as she did crunches
- didn't happen to me but thought it was hilarious. My previous 2 bosses at a biotech company got their asses beat down by jose canseco and his brother ozzie after one of them drunkenly made a pass at jose's then girlfriend. One had a broken nose, the other had a fractured orbital (my bosses, not the canseco bros). I believe the settlement was quite large.