or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ralph Lauren Made to Measure
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ralph Lauren Made to Measure

post #1 of 40
Thread Starter 
I received an invitation of the up-coming RL MTM event.
So I'm curious if anyone here has ordered Polo MTM.
How's the fabric selection? How much customization can be done?
Are the suits fused, half-canvasses, or fully canvassed?
Are cut-through button-holes possible?
Who does the Polo line these days: Canali or Corneliani?

Thanks in advance.
post #2 of 40
I am wondering the same thing
post #3 of 40
Thread Starter 
Anyone?
post #4 of 40
Phil who posts on AAAC has had several items made through Polo MTM. Try doing a search over there.
post #5 of 40
I have 2 MTM suits from Polo, both from the Blue Label Line; which is made by Corneliani. My experience was horrible! Both suits were the same model, just different cloths, and both came out different. One suit was too long and the other's shoulders were f****d up. I ended up taking them to Field tailors who salvaged them. Needless to say, I will never use Polo's MTM service again. However, I think a lot depends on who is measuring you when you place your order. You may have better luck than me. If you do decide to go with MTM, make sure that you are measured by their on-site tailor, and not a salesperson. In my case, their on-site tailor was also worthless. Based on other reviews, I would recommend Martin Greenfield at Brooks Brothers for MTM at the same price point. Good luck.
post #6 of 40
Thread Starter 
Sammy, I'm sorry to hear about your truly horrible experience Would your salesman no send the suits back for corrections, or were they too far gone to even try?

I know the MG/Golden Fleece is a better quality product for the price, but I'm partial to the Polo cut, I like the higher gorge and the narrower lapels. I do like the 1818 Regent cut, but that's not availible MTM at this time. Would Golden Fleece MTM allow me to adjust the lapel width and gorge height?
post #7 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel_5 View Post
Sammy, I'm sorry to hear about your truly horrible experience Would your salesman no send the suits back for corrections, or were they too far gone to even try?

I know the MG/Golden Fleece is a better quality product for the price, but I'm partial to the Polo cut, I like the higher gorge and the narrower lapels. I do like the 1818 Regent cut, but that's not availible MTM at this time. Would Golden Fleece MTM allow me to adjust the lapel width and gorge height?

I was just so fed up with RL's incompetence, that I didn't want to waste any more time with them. If I didn't need the suits for work, then I would have demanded a refund. I'm not sure how flexible Golden Fleece is with lapel widths and such, but its worth asking. Cut and style is secondary to fit. I think you will get a better product from BB than Polo's Blue label. Plus, Martin Greenfield will measure you himself at the trunk show. That reduces the number of variables and increases your chances of a better product.
post #8 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy View Post
I have 2 MTM suits from Polo, both from the Blue Label Line; which is made by Corneliani. My experience was horrible! Both suits were the same model, just different cloths, and both came out different. One suit was too long and the other's shoulders were f****d up. I ended up taking them to Field tailors who salvaged them. Needless to say, I will never use Polo's MTM service again. However, I think a lot depends on who is measuring you when you place your order. You may have better luck than me. If you do decide to go with MTM, make sure that you are measured by their on-site tailor, and not a salesperson. In my case, their on-site tailor was also worthless. Based on other reviews, I would recommend Martin Greenfield at Brooks Brothers for MTM at the same price point. Good luck.


Interesting you should mention a bad experience with Polo MTM. Phil (mentioned above) and I had a mini-flame war a while back in which he argued that given his great experiences with Polo MTM, one should not consider using WW Chan because in his view (as a non-customer) they screw up orders very frequently. I argued that one of the great things about WW Chan (as one of their satisfied repeat customers) is that if they screw up, they will fix it on their own dime, with no questions or grumbles. Moral of story: anyone can screw up an order.
post #9 of 40
I wonder what is the VALUE of Ralph Lauren MTM program?

Does it allow access to Corneliani factory at prices lower than Corneliani?
post #10 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkzzzz View Post
I wonder what is the VALUE of Ralph Lauren MTM program?

Does it allow access to Corneliani factory at prices lower than Corneliani?

If I recall the pricing correctly, RL MTM allows access to Corneliani MTM at prices higher than Corneliani, but with many more places that handle orders.
post #11 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by retronotmetro View Post
If I recall the pricing correctly, RL MTM allows access to Corneliani MTM at prices higher than Corneliani, but with many more places that handle orders.

Hmm. Seems to me I'd first consider local taylor or directly use Italian shop.
Paying premium to have POLO label inside my jacket.....?
Afterall Ralph is not even a designer.
post #12 of 40
RL is having a MTM sale though March 27--PL, BL, and Polo varieties (I, II, Bradford, etc.).

I'm considering two Polo suits (Corneliani) at ~1600 each. Sounds a bit high, espcially since I've picked up a few BLs during their 30+15 sales for ~$1200-1300 (which includes alterations). But their MTM allows more options with fabric (most unavailable in RTW) and style (i.e., a suit with 2B Polo I jacket with dual vents & ticket pocket but Bradford-style pants).

Experiences or thoughts, anyone?
post #13 of 40
Their MTM prices are high. Very high. Cheaper to get bespoke via W.W. Chan. And the suit will be infinitely better to boot.
post #14 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by etb View Post
RL is having a MTM sale though March 27--PL, BL, and Polo varieties (I, II, Bradford, etc.).

I'm considering two Polo suits (Corneliani) at ~1600 each. Sounds a bit high, espcially since I've picked up a few BLs during their 30+15 sales for ~$1200-1300 (which includes alterations). But their MTM allows more options with fabric (most unavailable in RTW) and style (i.e., a suit with 2B Polo I jacket with dual vents & ticket pocket but Bradford-style pants).

Experiences or thoughts, anyone?

The Polo style is unique and if that's what you want the MTM is worth it. And from what I've read the MTM is fully canvassed, as opposed to their half canvas RTW. And I think what you're looking for is the Polo III style, which is like the Polo I but with a ticket pocket.
post #15 of 40
Polo III--thanks.

I really do like the BL and Polo styles. And since I'm pretty close to their OTR sizes (BL = 40R with 3/8" shoulder reductions, Polo = 38R with extra 1/2" in chest, standard trouser work on both), a MTM order should go pretty smoothly.

My SA told me the Polo MTMs only can be ordered half canvassed, but he also said that BLs are not fully canvassed. Since he's wrong on the latter (the BL charcoal mini-houndstooth I picked up last month is definitely full), I'll have to look into the former.

To complicate matters: WW Chan will be in town this week.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt S View Post
The Polo style is unique and if that's what you want the MTM is worth it. And from what I've read the MTM is fully canvassed, as opposed to their half canvas RTW. And I think what you're looking for is the Polo III style, which is like the Polo I but with a ticket pocket.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ralph Lauren Made to Measure