or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Least Expensive Cars To Drive - Forbes.com ...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Least Expensive Cars To Drive - Forbes.com ...

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
Least Expensive Cars To Drive - Forbes.com
"Want a luxury car without the luxury cost?

Then opting for the Lexus RX400h might be a good call. It costs $41,895, and is estimated to set you back an additional $12,091 over five years.

That number may sound steep, but in relative terms, it's not."
http://www.forbes.com/2007/08/27/car..._0828cars.html
post #2 of 14
So much for BMW's claim that there cars are less expensive to own than other luxury cars.
post #3 of 14
I call BS on the methodology. Who knows what goes into it.
post #4 of 14
If the price of fuel is a major component of this (as the article states) it seems a little silly to run this right before the 2008 models with revised EPA ratings come out.
post #5 of 14
Excellent...more rational for my upcoming Porsche Cayman purchase.
post #6 of 14
Artisan, do you mean the Cayenne? We want to get the hybrid which comes out next year.
post #7 of 14
No. I meant Cayman, the sports car, not the SUV. Quick and mid-engined.
post #8 of 14
But who wants to drive that particular Lexus? I always see 50 something blonde women, with their hair sprayed to the hardness of high carbon steel, bowl cut with the slight flip, Ann Taylor or similar outfit holding in their folds, yacking on their cell phones driving that rig. Somehow I always imagine they're selling real estate.
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post
But who wants to drive that particular Lexus? I always see 50 something blonde women, with their hair sprayed to the hardness of high carbon steel, bowl cut with the slight flip, Ann Taylor or similar outfit holding in their folds, yacking on their cell phones driving that rig. Somehow I always imagine they're selling real estate.
Same here. And yeah, they are selling real estate.
post #10 of 14
I loathe the overall styling of the RX.
post #11 of 14
I'm also a fan of the Cayman that Artisan is keen on purchasing. It seems to be one of the better driving experiences attainable at that cost. It certainly is much more impressive than the Boxster, which I absolutely am not a fan of. The only thing I like about the Cayenne is that it's making a ton of cash for Porsche that they can in turn pump into their R&D for new models. I certainly would not buy a Cayenne, as it's one of those "street suv's" that I'd never take off the road. In the SUV category, I'd like to see a more fuel-efficient MB G500. My $.02.
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkennett View Post
I certainly would not buy a Cayenne, as it's one of those "street suv's" that I'd never take off the road. In the SUV category, I'd like to see a more fuel-efficient MB G500. My $.02.

99% of the people who buy luxury SUVs will never take them off-road. When was the last time you saw an VW, Audi, BMW, Land Rover or MB taken off road? The only legitimate off-road SUV from a luxury brand was the Defender 90 from a while back. They don't make it anymore for a reason.
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn View Post
99% of the people who buy luxury SUVs will never take them off-road. When was the last time you saw an VW, Audi, BMW, Land Rover or MB taken off road? The only legitimate off-road SUV from a luxury brand was the Defender 90 from a while back. They don't make it anymore for a reason.
I don't know where you live but here on East Coast, it is off-road all-the-time.
Have you ever been to Boston? Here, we don't have roads., we have sporadic patches of asphalt thrown around to cover what used to be a road surface.
I have been to third-world countries with better roads. So yes SUV is very appropriate vehicle for the East Coast due to horrible roads condition.
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkzzzz View Post
I don't know where you live but here on East Coast, it is off-road all-the-time.
Have you ever been to Boston? Here, we don't have roads., we have sporadic patches of asphalt thrown around to cover what used to be a road surface.
I have been to third-world countries with better roads. So yes SUV is very appropriate vehicle for the East Coast due to horrible roads condition.

Don't get me started on Comm. Ave. and Storrow Drive. I almost got into an accident going eastbound on Storrow under the downtown exist overpass because of a pothole the size of a couch. I did, on another night, lose a $700 rim and punctured my AC Schnitzer exhaust ($1,800) going northbound on Rt. 99 when I hit a pothole the size of a living room. #$(*&#$$#(*. The funny thing was, I drove all the way from DC to Boston that day without a single incident.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Least Expensive Cars To Drive - Forbes.com ...