or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › General Football Talk (that's soccer guys)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

General Football Talk (that's soccer guys)

post #1 of 283
Thread Starter 
So two interesting stories. One sad, one kinda silly.

Sevilla's Antonio Puerta died yesterday from what is apparently a third heart attack in a short span. He collapsed at a game and had a heart attack in the locker room, then another on the way to the hospital. Then a third yesterday that killed him. Very very sad to see such a young person die like this (or any way I suppose).


In silly news, there's a rumor that Chelsea are after a very last-minute swoop for Ronaldinho. This sounds just stupid to me. Why oh why would he leave Barca for Chelski? Let's see, go from the grand old club of world footballing to the "new money" of Chelsea. I just can't see it.

b
post #2 of 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawson808 View Post


In silly news, there's a rumor that Chelsea are after a very last-minute swoop for Ronaldinho. This sounds just stupid to me. Why oh why would he leave Barca for Chelski? Let's see, go from the grand old club of world footballing to the "new money" of Chelsea. I just can't see it.

b

Probably because more "new money" is worth more than less "old money."
post #3 of 283
QUOTE=odoreater;656675]Probably because more "new money" is worth more than less "old money."[/quote]

Of course this is a rumor, and if it were true we don't know any precise terms. But I imagine Ronaldinho (like Beckham) makes most of his money from endorsements. Whatever Roman can throw at him in 'new money' might not make it worth it to leave one of the greatest clubs in the world (a move which might indeed diminish his commercial worth). Also, at a certain point the dollar bottom line ceases to be the only yardstick. When you're earning above a certain level, the dollar's fungibility takes a backseat to lifestyle considerations. I'm sure there are many players who would forgo some $$$ (and the dreary London winter) and choose to remain within the sunny confines of the Nou Camp.

Roma are off to a nice start, beating Inter for the Super Coppa and winning their opening game in Sicily.

edit: Liverpool, Rangers, Lazio are through to CL group stages.
Attachment 5518[
post #4 of 283
and today i hear that lehmann wants to leave arsenal before the transfer window shuts because wenger isn't playing him despite the fact that he's got some sort of achilles tendon injury and isnt' 100% and likely should be resting and not playing ......

what's with all these "crybabies" of late?
post #5 of 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermes View Post
and today i hear that lehmann wants to leave arsenal before the transfer window shuts because wenger isn't playing him despite the fact that he's got some sort of achilles tendon injury and isnt' 100% and likely should be resting and not playing ......

what's with all these "crybabies" of late?

lehmann is too old to be a starter for a big team. once he has recovered and is fully healthy i wouldn't bet on him getting much playing time, and he knows that.
post #6 of 283
for anyone interested, mexico plays panama today at noon (pacific), on telemundo. the u.s. americans play brazil at 1pm pacific time, on espn2. nigeria won the under-17 world cup today, beating spain in the final.
post #7 of 283
So how 'bout this Denver-Buffalo game?
post #8 of 283
Thread Starter 
Bugger off Conne.


USA vs Brazil.

20th minute the USA goes up 1-0.

Holding our own I think. Especially since Brazil has started Ronaldinho, Kaka, and Robinho.

b
post #9 of 283
I dont think lehmann is too old at all. Hes still holding his position very well plus keepers can go till 40 and still be very efficient. Hes still starting for his national team, i think its natural for him to want to start at the club he plays for.

Specially since hes hoping to retain his NT position for the euro cup and even world cup.
post #10 of 283
Thread Starter 
Well, we got the first goal, but Brazil comes back with a brilliant build up that leads to a great Timmy save that rebounds off Gooch into the net. Unlucky.

Second half and we're not able to keep up quite the same, but it's still good.

Brazil gets three more including a PK. We get another one and are refused a most obvious PK. If we'd gotten our PK it would have put us up 2-1 and the game could have been very different.

Everyone played well and both teams can be happy. The ref, however, sucked. I try to be balanced, but over the long-haul he was pretty awful. Not the first time we've seen him call so badly either.

b
post #11 of 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawson808 View Post
Well, we got the first goal, but Brazil comes back with a brilliant build up that leads to a great Timmy save that rebounds off Gooch into the net. Unlucky.

Second half and we're not able to keep up quite the same, but it's still good.

Brazil gets three more including a PK. We get another one and are refused a most obvious PK. If we'd gotten our PK it would have put us up 2-1 and the game could have been very different.

Everyone played well and both teams can be happy. The ref, however, sucked. I try to be balanced, but over the long-haul he was pretty awful. Not the first time we've seen him call so badly either.

b
archundia is a good ref, but i agree his performance today was awful. there were countless plays that merited a yellow in which he did nothing. there was a clear penalty on robinho for which he gave robinho a yellow.

i thought the first u.s. goal looked like a handball.

the second u.s. goal was the best of the game, and the first brazilian goal was the fault of cherundolo for running toward ronadinho when he had another attacking player to his right (the one who eventually shot.)

wednesday night it's brazil v. mexico in boston.
post #12 of 283
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta View Post
archundia is a good ref, but i agree his performance today was awful. there were countless plays that merited a yellow in which he did nothing. there was a clear penalty on robinho for which he gave robinho a yellow.

Yes, there were a number of fouls quite early on that I thought he should have called just to settle the game. Then some of those got worse.

At first I thought he had made a pretty astute call on Robinho. Then they showed one reverse angle that made me doubt it. I'm still conflicted, but will go with the ref's call (50% because I agree, 50% because I didn't want to see the PK call).

Quote:
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta View Post
i thought the first u.s. goal looked like a handball.

Yeah, I was afraid of that. Ball played the player, player didn't play the ball? Not for a goal I suppose.


Quote:
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta View Post
the second u.s. goal was the best of the game, and the first brazilian goal was the fault of cherundolo for running toward ronadinho when he had another attacking player to his right (the one who eventually shot.)

Talk about being caught between a rock and a hard place. I fear I would have gone for Ronaldinho as well just to try to shut him down. 'Dolo did have the assist on that second US goal, though.

I think we played pretty damned well, all things considered. Stand out performances by Michael Bradley (except for that dumb ass tackle in the box). For all the sh** he gets from people about just being the "coach's kid" he showed that he can play. Heath Pearce had a great game too. Old Landy-cakes looks past his prime already. Shocking at such a young age.



b
post #13 of 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawson808 View Post
At first I thought he had made a pretty astute call on Robinho. Then they showed one reverse angle that made me doubt it. I'm still conflicted, but will go with the ref's call (50% because I agree, 50% because I didn't want to see the PK call).
it was a clear penalty. the only thing i can imagine happened is that, because robinho lifts his leg awkwardly to avoid injury, it may have caused the ref to see it as though he was faking the contact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawson808 View Post
Yeah, I was afraid of that. Ball played the player, player didn't play the ball? Not for a goal I suppose.
it was iffy because the player's upper arm was against his body and his lower arms were extended. the ball appeared to go off his elbow, but they only chose to show the replay once, and from a bad angle. then again, none of the brazilians protested. it was a strange one.


Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawson808 View Post
Talk about being caught between a rock and a hard place. I fear I would have gone for Ronaldinho as well just to try to shut him down. 'Dolo did have the assist on that second US goal, though.
i'm not sure it was cherundolo, but it was whoever the defender was on the right during that play. if you watch it again, you'll see that ronaldinho already had 2 guys closing in on him when that right defender decides to ignore the brazilian going down the right (left) wing. for a split second, ronaldinho is triple teamed with a guy running loose wide open.
post #14 of 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawson808 View Post
The ref, however, sucked.


I am shocked -- shocked -- to learn of gambling in this establishment.
post #15 of 283
Roma go clear as Juve stumble! Attachment 5927
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › General Football Talk (that's soccer guys)