• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Scotch Whisky 15 Years and Under

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
I've really began to love scotch - but I don't have the money to go sampling all the different malts and hating some of them. I like Glenlivet and Bowmore - but I want to try some other ones.

Any suggestions?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
For me, Cragganmore Distillery edition. You're looking at $50-60 bucks for a bottle, very nice, smooth, rich Speyside. For something a tad more approachable, you could try a Balvenie 12 y/o double cask. Should be about $45-50 a bottle. A less complex and high drinkable Speyside.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I really love Laphroig, both the 15 and the bargain priced 10.

yellowsub

Reaction score
I second anything from Cragganmore (the 12 is reasonably priced and easy to find). The Macallan 12 is another obvious choice, really sweet Sherry flavour, impresses a lot of my friends who don't normal drink Whisky. I'd also add Glenmorangie 15, meets your criteria but may be on the high end, price-wise.

saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Highland Park and Macallan.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
For me, Cragganmore Distillery edition. You're looking at $50-60 bucks for a bottle, very nice, smooth, rich Speyside. .

Preach, brother. This is seriously, hardcore, good advice right here. Please note that Piobaire is referring to the Green Label Distillery Edition, as opposed to its taupe counterpart. To wit,

crag1vm1.jpg

Others:

Cragganmore 12: A very complex, highly aromatic nose, Palate of caramel, vanilla, and bananas. (30-40 USD, a bargain)
Dalwhinnie 15: Light, honeyesque, a gentle whisky. (50ish)
Dalwhinnie Distillery Edition: Pure caramel. (65ish)
Macallan 13: The epitome of sherry-finished whiskys, caramelly, peaty, overlaid with a gentle wininess.
Mortlach 15. Simply not regrettable.

Regards,
Huntsman

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As an side question, what's the absolute easiest to drink whiskey/scotch out there? I'd like to acquire a taste for it, but I think I need to start gradually as I don't really drink liquor. A recommended drinking method (ice? a little water? what kind of glass?) would be appreciated as well.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
As an aside question, what's the absolute easiest to drink whiskey/scotch out there? I'd like to acquire a taste for it, but I think I need to start gradually as I don't really drink liquor. A recommended drinking method (ice? a little water? what kind of glass?) would be appreciated as well.

You will no doubt get much advice, but IMO, the best way to develop a taste for it, if you are looking for the "easiest" way, is to drink manhattans. Use a good whisky, I prefer a Canadian whisky like Tangle Ridge or a CC Sherry Cask aged and I prefer Stock vermouth. Have it on the rocks so you get some dilution and work your way up to shaken and poured. From there, try one of the lighter tasting Scotches above with lots of rocks.

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Find a well stocked bar, and work through some of the suggestions here; it won't take long for you to develop a preference. I tend to prefer the peatier offerings (though i started on the Speyside malts, Glenlivet, Glenfiddich etc)... Laphroaig 10 is my absolute favourite; if you find it a little too peaty/medicinal then try Lagavulin, which is more refined. Also try Talisker and Oban. I hate talking about scotch, it's only 1:10 and i feel like pouring a glass.

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you want to try whiskies that are similar to the two you've tried or different? I'm not overly fond of Bowmore myself, but if you like Glenlivet you might try Oban, Highland Park, or Glendullan 12 for whiskies that are similar but different enough to be interesting.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads