• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Man Stuff (Things you love, that women just don't get.)

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about my favorite things, and realized that most of them are "man stuff." I'm not talking about things that are gender specific (like shaving brushes or jock straps.) These man things aren't really gender specific, but for some reason just don't appeal to women and probably would not exist were it not for men, because no women would buy them. By and large, women don't even understand why men like them.

These are also things that I love, and owning and using them gives me a great deal of satisfaction. So, in the tradition of the song from the Sound of Music, here are a few of my favorite (manly) things. What are yours?

Split bamboo fly rod.
A proper split bamboo fly rod isn't made in a factory. It's made in somebody's garage, or basement, or a small shop using forms and planes and simple tools that haven't changed much in almost a century. The guy who makes it spends 40 or more hours of careful labor crafting a fly rod, and when he's done, he puts his name on it.
Fly fishing is an activity that doesn't attract many women, and of the few women I've seen fly fishing, I've not ever seen even one casting a bamboo rod. Furthermore, I've never even heard of a single woman who makes these most wonderful fishing implements.

rodsm.JPG

cover.jpg

Lots of women like to cook. Some women even like to grill. But were it not for men, I don't think there is any way that Viking would have created its 53 inch 25,000 BTU grill. This is a grill that Tim the Toolman could appreciate. You can cook for 60 people easily on this grill. You can cook brats, burgers, and ribs all at once on this grill, without any of the different meats rubbing elbows. This gril rocks.
My wife wanted to install a lesser grill, thinking that 53 inches might be overkill. She might have been right, but it makes me happy just knowing that I could roast a full leg of lamb on the rotisserie, even if I haven't actually done it.

grill.jpg

steaks.jpg

One of the best stress relievers I've found is shooting stuff. When work or other things are pulling me down, there is a violent serenity to be found in shooting things full of holes. One of the best tools for this job is a sniper rifle. My particular choice is a Springfield M21 with a custom heavy Krieger barrel, super match trigger, and some other custom features, mated with a Shepherd scope. It's not really a practical gun, but it is a lot of fun to shoot.

springfieldsm.jpg

400 yards; 20 rounds fired in under 60 seconds from a prone position; bipod support, factory Black Hills moly coated match ammunition.
400yd.jpg

The easy chair is a piece of furniture that owes its existance to the proclivities of men. For some reason, women prefer couches, love seats, or other such furniture. For men, the ultimate is the easy chair. Every man needs a chair where he can relax, read, and unwind, and channel his inner Captain Kirk. I searched for almost half a year to find the most supremely comfortable easy chair for my office/den. I finally found this one.

chair.jpg

Many women are handy with tools, but for some reason, a framing hammer doesn't find its way into the tool boxes of many women. It's truly the quintesential man's hand tool. It's overkill for most jobs, but when you need to pound a lot of big nails into wood, there's nothing else that will do the job quite as well. I've got a couple other hammers in my tool box, but the framing hammer is my tool of choice when something needs pounding. It's big, it's heavy, and swinging it reminds me of the time when I made my living "by the sweat of my brow," pounding nails into lumber all day long.

hammer.jpg

Alpine ice climbing doesn't appeal to very many women. There are certainly some high profile exceptions to that statement, but by and large alpine ice climbers tend to me overwhelmingly male. My wife's take on it is that "women are generally too intelligent to enjoy suffering." I don't know if she is right about that or not, but it's certainly true that I've seldom seen women on mountain ice faces. The tools that allow me to climb these faces are beautiful examples of design, function and technology. Made of graphite and steel, they are lightweight, ergonomic, and extremely tough and durable. Sadly, this model (the CF Black Prophet) is no longer made. For my money, it is the best alpine ice tool ever built.

bprophet.jpg

Ronde.jpg

I would be willing to bet that less than one in a thousand Dodge Vipers are driven by women. By and large, women don't even like to ride in this car. It's loud, hot, with a Spartan interior and sidepipes that will burn your legs if you aren't careful when getting out. The steering is very touchy, the rear tires break loose if you aren't careful with the throttle, and the seats are very firm and tight. There's no traction/stability control, the clutch requires a strong left leg, the shifter takes a fair amount of effort, and the convertible top is not automated.
All of these things simply add to the charm of the car as far as I'm concerned. I love the raw retro madness of a roadster that comes from the factory with over 500 horsepower (mine has over 700hp.) There are few things in life more exciting that ripping along at high speed, with the insane wail of 10 cylinders and over 500 cubic inches screaming in your ears.
The differences between men's and women's point of view when it comes to sports cars can be best illustrated by an interaction I had with my wife. After going for a night ride in my Viper following some engine modifications, I came back home and told her that flames were shooting out of the sidepipes when I downshifted. She asked me what it was going to cost to "fix" this problem. She could not figure out why I not only wasn't planning on getting this fixed, but I was actually happy about flaming exhaust pipes.

viper.jpg

engine.jpg

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I love doing MMA, girls never ever get it. If they do, they tend to be ugly and/or lesbian.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
******* awesome post, Kai. I'll add in my choices:

MSFAConvention2007020.jpg

The firetruck. Hundreds of years of experience all come together on this one piece of equipment, equipment to save lives and property. Some women (and men for that matter) think this magnificent motor vehicle is just there to look pretty; open it up and you see the tools we use to do what we do. Firetrucks don't get enough damn appreciation. The real men ride in this truck. Represent.

Tbone.jpg

The t-bone steak. Food of men. Marinate one of these and throw it on the grill, break out the A1, you know you're going to have a damn good day. There is no comparison to the feeling a real man gets as soon as this glorious piece of grilled-to-perfection bovine is served up and ready to go. It's an orgasm for your taste buds. Oh man.

hooters.gif

'Nuf said.

Brioni%205.jpg

Real men wear Brioni. Women, you do not understand why Brioni costs so much so don't even try.

JB

ms244

Reaction score
I would disagree that the M21 isn't practical.

I like tools and other mechanical stuff. Its hard for the womenz to relate to the joy of finding the proper piece of metal for your project in a huge pile of rusty junk . Here are a couple of mine (currently in storage and not making stuff
mad.gif
)

Weldingequipment002.jpg

Really old, early 1900s ?, power Hacksaw, a true rube goldberg contraption. Somewhere, one day a man must have said, I don't feel like cutting this, I wonder if a machine can do it for me so I don't have to work quite as hard.

topview.jpg

1946 or 47 South Bend 9" Lathe. Once you have one and know a little about using it, you will wonder how you ever lived without it. Note the stripes on the bed, this is called scrapping and is done by hand with a chisel looking thing. Sir Joseph Witworth had surface plates made almost as accurate as anything available today almost 200 years ago using this method.
teacha.gif

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fountain pens
Luxury tobacco utensils
High quality old straight razors, preferably in complete sets
High quality luggage

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Fountain pens
Luxury tobacco utensils
High quality old straight razors, preferably in complete sets
High quality luggage

Those are obviously all very manly things that only a man's man would appreciate.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
Those are obviously all very manly things that only a man's man would appreciate.

laugh.gif

I find fishing boring, tools frustrate me, and admitting that I've gone to hooters is borderline embarrassing.

I really like poker. Does that count?

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hooters blows
and real men know that a real steak is to be eaten without any A1 sauce

green

Reaction score
My 22-piece zippo collection, and I don't smoke. Women just don't understand...

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great post Kai, some of your examples are things my wife doesn't understand about me.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I will add women do not understand other man stuff, like our competative nature, our egos, our sex drive, or the way we communicate.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads