Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) Last post on 10/20/16 at 7:37am in Classic Menswear
- Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos Last post on Yesterday at 7:15 am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...
Last edited: 6/22/15
- Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for Under $800Last edited: 4/26/16
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any WeddingLast edited: 4/25/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Classic Menswear Lounge - Page 214post #3197 of 32278/20/16 at 5:38ampost #3198 of 32278/20/16 at 5:53amThread Starterpost #3199 of 32278/20/16 at 5:56ampost #3200 of 32278/20/16 at 1:05pmpost #3201 of 32278/20/16 at 6:02pmpost #3202 of 32278/20/16 at 7:29pmLow contrast is the bomb. When done well tonal outfits are generally easy on the eyes. I agree that it's difficult but would hesitate to say it looks contrived. It seems more incidental.
Matching colors is also easy on the eyes, but because it obviously requires thought it stands out as looking more contrived.post #3203 of 32278/20/16 at 11:05pmpost #3204 of 32278/21/16 at 4:10pmQuote:Originally Posted by Claghorn
You mentioned outfits occasionally looking too contrived regarding their use of color. Or maybe too thought out. Anyway. Is this an example of an outfit that comes across as too thought out (not necessarily in terms of what you were addressing though)?
(I like this)
I'm not sure I ever used the phrase "too contrived" regarding their use of color but what I was probably referring too was someone piecing together a lot of color and pattern statements simply to get attention (which come across as looking like a broken color wheel or a shredded patchwork quilt) rather than them being aesthetically pleasing. I'm not against the use of colors, including bold colors, but color for the sake of color isn't enough. A truly stylish or fashionable gent understands coordinating colors and which color combinations look best on them.
I also like this photo. I think an outfit of neutrals is rather chic. It is a well put together combination of neutrals (which has been an emerging trend in fashion within the last year or two although it never really goes away). This takes some effort and coordination but it isn't hard. It requires assembling an outfit with the end result in mind and not simply grabbing a new tie. Because it is on trend with fashion it gives the outfit a more contemporary look. (I'm hoping he is wearing some sandy suede derbys:))
I mentioned the other day that the best examples for fashion color inspiration come from Nature. Currently, in the warm, dry California hills around my home I see combinations of all of this outfits colors in the stones, gravel, tree bark, grasses. It looks natural and effortless. These neutrals also remind me of the beach. So, a well coordinated color story gives an easy nature feel rather than a "too contrived" feel IMO.post #3205 of 32278/21/16 at 4:28pmpost #3206 of 32278/21/16 at 4:47pmpost #3207 of 32278/21/16 at 8:52pmpost #3208 of 32278/22/16 at 7:52amQuote:Originally Posted by Academic2
Calm down, kid.
It was a perfectly accurate description: threads go dormant when people don’t post to them. Self-evident.
And your claim that this thread replaces GNAT is just factually incorrect. GNAT was explicitly initiated to encourage newcomers to post, and to do so in a thread where they could count on getting responses from some of SF’s most knowledgeable members. If you read the thread, you’ll learn this. The ‘Lounge’ , on the other hand, was originally the ‘Grad Lounge’, and its intended audience was those whose interests were relatively advanced. Very different constituencies and very different threads. Both important and both useful.
And as for Tweedy, no one’s been more supportive than I have of his efforts, including his work on and in this thread. If you’d read it, you’ll see.
Good grief. Graduate students these days …
GNAT wasn't for newcomers. It was for one attention-whore to write his daily journal on. It was like a sitcom TV show that was sometime funny but definitely not the place where newcomers got their questions answered. If the intent of that GNAT was that, then I think the best thing that could have happened for GNAT happened when that idiot got banned.post #3209 of 32278/22/16 at 12:05pm
Has anybody looked at the new/redesigned Brioni collection? This new creative director is doing everything Brioni isn't and trying to take the brand into a direction away from its roots as a classic brand. I personally don't own any Brioni myself, but it's presence in classic men's suiting has always been around. I'm curious to see what others here think about the new collection, the cuts of the suits and especially the accessories they've started marketing. Everything looks cheaper and less elegant in my opinion.post #3210 of 32278/22/16 at 2:07pmThe ad campaign with Metallica seems like a "Hail Mary" pass at trying to score with a new audience. The designer, O'Shea, says his influence is "70's pimp". Good luck to them.
Wilkes Bashford carried Brioni for as long as I can remember (since the 70's?) along with the SFA main store on 5th. They always had a conservative, edited assortment of Brioni. Their clients looked elegant. But when I saw the brand at other stores 5, 10, 15 years ago, there were odd design touches and fabric selections that, to me, looked far too Las Vegas or Mob and nothing that interested me. I suppose it was up to the individual store buyer to know what to select. But now, I'm really not sure who will buy this look?
- Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for Under $800
- › Linjer Leather Goods -- official affiliate thread 1 minute ago
- › The Look goes on... 7 minutes ago
- › MA-1 Jackets Thread 13 minutes ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread... 14 minutes ago
- › Epaulet X Vanson Trident Leather Jacket medium 18 minutes ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 25 minutes ago
- › The Uniqlo Thread 34 minutes ago
- › Cars We Drive! 47 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 47 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, ... 58 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...