Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) Last post on Today at 12:37 pm in Classic Menswear
- Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos Last post on Today at 12:40 pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...
Last edited: 6/22/15
- Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for Under $800Last edited: 4/26/16
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any WeddingLast edited: 4/25/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Classic Menswear Lounge - Page 206post #3077 of 33185/21/16 at 12:27pmQuote:Originally Posted by TweedyProf
My own personal principle is that shirts really should always be a ground and indeed, the background. To effectively serve as such, one must contribute without being obtrusive; one must provide support without taking center stage. This is why light solids (white/blue/ecru/pink) function so well and why symmetrical stripes can do so as well. Once stripes are asymmetrical, they begin to obtrude, and when they are multi-colored, then they should be worn in more casual settings where the shirt plays a more central role.
I tend to agree. I've nothing against wider symmetrical stripes for more casual fits, but they've never been something I feel compelled to own either. Maybe one day I'll build up a nice collection of oxford cloth shirts (but not with button down collars).
In your above examples, I tend to think that the wider symmetrical stripe makes the lack of contrast between shirt and tie more glaring than it would be otherwise. A bit more contrast would still be good even with a narrower stripe, but the wider one exacerbates the issue IMO.post #3078 of 33185/27/16 at 9:42pmpost #3079 of 33186/13/16 at 3:25ampost #3080 of 33186/15/16 at 3:56ampost #3081 of 33187/1/16 at 10:35ampost #3082 of 33187/1/16 at 11:13ampost #3083 of 33187/1/16 at 11:36amQuote:
You have to present it. I just don't think a white shirt will present an issue with any skin tone. It's too neutral...post #3084 of 33187/1/16 at 3:07pmQuote:Originally Posted by kulata
You have to present it. I just don't think a white shirt will present an issue with any skin tone. It's too neutral...
I agree that it should work for the reason you mention, but I also think white works better for some skin tones than others.
For example, some time ago over on WAYWRN someone, I’m pretty sure it was @sugarbutch, suggested that white shirts are more dramatic the darker the skin of the wearer, an impression I share.
Acpost #3085 of 33187/1/16 at 9:07pmpost #3086 of 33187/19/16 at 5:47pmpost #3087 of 33187/19/16 at 5:49pmpost #3088 of 33187/19/16 at 7:04pmpost #3089 of 33187/22/16 at 6:24amThread Starterpost #3090 of 33187/27/16 at 2:34pmAgreed on the nice tailoring in The Sting. The fabrics, colors, and pattern combinations also give good food for thought, as they do on Newman's suit there. Reminds us that there is a middle ground between early 1960s modernist severity--like in Kulata's pic above--and today's Pitti Uomo peacockery. I like how the tie's black ground and the aqua-gray color inside its medallions complement the tones in the suit. The ensemble is neither bold nor severe, but casually elegant.
- Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for Under $800
- › WTB: Maison Martin Margiela 5-Zip Leather - Black - Size 48 26 seconds ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 41 seconds ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 1 minute ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget – Carmina, John Lobb, Enzo Bonafè, Carlos Santos,... 1 minute ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 1 minute ago
- › OFFICIAL President Trump Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Buying a new suit 3 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 4 minutes ago
- › Poor man's watch thread 5 minutes ago
- › Double Breasted Style. 5 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...