or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › What's the stereotype of a New Jersey Girl?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What's the stereotype of a New Jersey Girl? - Page 7

post #91 of 210
Oh, and I hate malls more than any other trapping of modern society. So that's kind of a problem for me with Jersey...
post #92 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post
Go west young man!

FWIW, Jersey seems to have exactly one of the top 100 public high schools in the United States while containing just under three percent of the population.

Seriously, it is shocking how NY/East Coast centric this board is. Do you people not realize that the economy of California is nearly double that of New York and would be the world's fifth largest if it were a country.

It's also round Triple NY's size and almost double its population. I'd imagine NY has a higher GDP per person and NYC an higher economic out than all of Cali's cities.
post #93 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJman View Post
Yes, but you guys are all a bunch of shallow sprout-eating crystal-gazing aura-healing Walker-Lindhing types.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucemaster View Post
HERE IT COMES. Best way to get an East Coast native going is to talk about how great Cali is. I have learned this from experience.
I wasn't even talking about how great Cali is. I did not mention that it smells like trees and nature and not like a rotting hot dog cart. I never mentioned that we are not subject to the disgusting humidity and brutal cold of the East Coast, not that we have not made it a statewide policy to leave large pieces of sheetmetal in the streets to eat up my nice shoes. We also have found some way to avoid the disgusting spray of cars driving by on a rainy day. You know, somebody recently tried to explain to me that the views in New York were better than those in San Francisco. That shows how demented and myopic East Coasters really are. That and the crazy idea that somehow NY women are more attractive than those in California. I suppose that is why they write those songs about NY Girls. Finally, and just because he has been gone so long: Just ask the dude, New York thinks it is better than it is , but everybody is trying to get to California, not Joisey . Odoreater, you are welcome to sleep on my couch, but only after that east coast smell is off of ya.
post #94 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post
You know, somebody recently tried to explain to me that the views in New York were better than those in San Francisco.

Yeah, that's kind of ridiculous. Was it here on StyleForum where I said I missed that Cali has everything, from mountains to beaches to forests to deserts, all within a few hours drive? And someone said "well New York has all that, too".

If you think New York (state) has mountains, you have never seen a mountain, I'm sorry.
post #95 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post
:I did not mention that it smells like trees and nature and not like a rotting hot dog cart. I never mentioned that we are not subject to the disgusting humidity and brutal cold of the East Coast, not that we have not made it a statewide policy to leave large pieces of sheetmetal in the streets to eat up my nice shoes. We also have found some way to avoid the disgusting spray of cars driving by on a rainy day.



Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens... bright copper kettles and warm woollen mittens ...
post #96 of 210
NY isn't about beautiful views, mountains, or peaceful bliss. It's about being better than you, ok???? It just is.
post #97 of 210
True. Great view of NYC: Versus a great view of San Francisco:
post #98 of 210
The best views of NYC are from NJ, Bklyn and Queens anyways. Who ever said they lived in NYC because of the great views? Sounds like a stupid reason to me... Could actually be a decent reason to live in NJ or Bklyn IMO.
post #99 of 210
Oh please. I love SF, I mean really love it, but as a city it really can't compare to NYC. Obviously, though, it's a lot more beautiful.
post #100 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJman View Post
Oh please. I love SF, I mean really love it, but as a city it really can't compare to NYC. Obviously, though, it's a lot more beautiful.
Oh I agree with you about that. NYC is a city unlike any other. I don't find it particularly likeable, but it is impressive. However, this board often feels like that famous map of NYC from the New Yorker, when the reality of this country is something very, very different. San Francisco is a podunk little city that offers the best the country has to offer of a few things and offers nothing when it comes to many, many important things.
post #101 of 210
SF revolves around men's clothes, with a particular emphasis on tailored clothing worn for business. NYC and the east coast more broadly are home to industries and companies that require business dress; California mostly is not. So it should not be surprising that Style Forum's membership tips eastward.
post #102 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post
Oh I agree with you about that. NYC is a city unlike any other. I don't find it particularly likeable, but it is impressive. However, this board often feels like that famous map of NYC from the New Yorker, when the reality of this country is something very, very different.
Of course, a map of quality clothing in the US would sort of resemble that New Yorker map, wouldn't you say???
post #103 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
SF revolves around men's clothes, with a particular emphasis on tailored clothing worn for business. NYC and the east coast more broadly are home to industries and companies that require business dress; California mostly is not. So it should not be surprising that Style Forum's membership tips eastward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJman View Post
Of course, a map of quality clothing in the US would sort of resemble that New Yorker map, wouldn't you say???

It also revolves around crazy leftist politics and people who do not wash their jeans for several months at a time. In these categories, California pwns all others.
post #104 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post
It also revolves around crazy leftist politics...
I'm not seeing that. I do see a few limp-left posts from the likes of Conne, and some guerrilla-style posts from Arethusa, but there's little true American liberalism. EDIT: Maybe then, in that regard, it does resemble (Northern) CA. To me, apart from LA, SoCal appears to lean fairly John Birch-right, at least much of Orange County and San Diego... We do seem to get a fair number of "the poor are the scum of the earth" right-wing posts, but I'll drop the CE now.
post #105 of 210
I am British, from London and I don't have preference to a US coast, but California's cities look bland. Find me this on the West Coast:
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › What's the stereotype of a New Jersey Girl?