Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread - Page 1674

post #25096 of 26119
Oh wow, maybe I'm out of the loop? I mean had never even heard of it and saw one random eBay listing so did some digging and assumed it was someone inside selling one early. They keep launching these things so fast it's hard to keep up.
post #25097 of 26119
Today I wore Chanel Cuir de Russie parfum.
post #25098 of 26119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post

Oh wow, maybe I'm out of the loop? I mean had never even heard of it and saw one random eBay listing so did some digging and assumed it was someone inside selling one early. They keep launching these things so fast it's hard to keep up.

The basenoter said that he got it from an inside contact. The speculation was that TF was keeping it under wraps until after the Vert series was released.
post #25099 of 26119
Floris Patchouli--got a free sample. Nice enough, but pretty boring.
post #25100 of 26119
Black Orchid Voile de Fleur for me today.
post #25101 of 26119
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNS View Post


Hey Parker, there's no sales/swap thread on here, but there certainly is one on Basenotes, if you're a member.


Thanks man! Yeah, apparently I'm member since 2007 with one post. :-) 

 

I scanned the marketplace but couldn't find any for sale or split. I have a sample of the newer formulated Rose 31 but it's missing the funk of the older version. Oh well. 

 

- - - -

 

Today: Histoires de Parfum Jules Verne 1828. I like this quite a bit.

 

post #25102 of 26119
Guerlain Jardins de Bagatelle EdP today. A big, thick, rich white floral from the early 80's. Not for the faint of heart, but really quite a wonderful concoction. I must say it beats Chanel Gardenia (or Une Fleur) hands down, for pure white floral power. Sigourney Weaver in an Ecru Powersuit couldn't wear this any better.

post #25103 of 26119
Guerlain Habit Rouge Sport.

I don't really know enough to pick up notes, but to me it's like a cross between rose and lavender. Really soft and flowery.
post #25104 of 26119
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix View Post

Guerlain Habit Rouge Sport.

I don't really know enough to pick up notes, but to me it's like a cross between rose and lavender. Really soft and flowery.

Soft, yes. Flowery, no. Very subtle, with that Guerlain sort of blend. Guerlain, as a house, is tough to distinguish individual notes... the balance of elements without something singular punching you in the face is what makes it such a superlative experience.
post #25105 of 26119
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach2jlc View Post

Soft, yes. Flowery, no. Very subtle, with that Guerlain sort of blend. Guerlain, as a house, is tough to distinguish individual notes... the balance of elements is what makes it such a superlative experience.

You're right, flowery is absolutely the wrong word.

It's the first time I've smelled something that has that softness but sweetness, without feeling thick. Actually, sweet is the wrong word too. It sorta smells a bit like baby powder but in a good way.

It lasts forever too.
post #25106 of 26119
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix View Post

You're right, flowery is absolutely the wrong word.

It's the first time I've smelled something that has that softness but sweetness, without feeling thick. Actually, sweet is the wrong word too. It sorta smells a bit like baby powder but in a good way.

It lasts forever too.

Welcome to Guerlain. Why they are regarded as the best in haute parfumery is exactly for this reason... they create a singular olfactory "experience," divorced from individual notes. Of course you can pull out elements from the famous blends... Shalimar with vanilla and civet, Bagatelle with white florals... but in truth they all blend together to create something different, that just IS what it IS.

Enjoy it!!! wink.gif
post #25107 of 26119
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach2jlc View Post

Soft, yes. Flowery, no. Very subtle, with that Guerlain sort of blend. Guerlain, as a house, is tough to distinguish individual notes... the balance of elements is what makes it such a superlative experience.

You're right, flowery is absolutely the wrong word.

It's the first time I've smelled something that has that softness but sweetness, without feeling thick. Actually, sweet is the wrong word too. It sorta smells a bit like baby powder but in a good way.

It lasts forever too.

The trickery of these perfumers, who are at the height of their game, is indeed a "superlative experience". I don't think the current perfumer at Guerlain is at the height of his game but the formula books he has access to were written by people who certainly were.
post #25108 of 26119
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNS View Post


The trickery of these perfumers, who are at the height of their game, is indeed a "superlative experience". I don't think the current perfumer at Guerlain is at the height of his game but the formula books he has access to were written by people who certainly were.

The other and I think, major difference is the number of product launches per year. At the height of the Guerlains it was at most 50-100. Today it is well over 2,000. On top of the noise, your average development cycle is now measured in months and constrained by focus groups and marketing studies; the Guerlains were their own artistic directors and took years to "finish" a perfume. You cannot realistically develop something good in months or weeks; the aging part of the development (where the perfume is left in vats to react) takes at least 4 weeks, imagine going through 4 week cycles to know if your experiment worked out when that 4 week cycle is half your deadline already. Then you compound this with budgets which in real terms are a fraction of the old ones, and IFRA restrictions that remove most of the interesting stuff (oakmoss anyone?). 

 

I think it's a wonder they can come up with anything remotely decent!

post #25109 of 26119

As an example, I smelled Arpege by Lanvin in succession this weekend. The vintage was a beautiful, if very powerful flower field with a lot of pollen. The most recent formulation is rotten fruit with a hint of drain cleaner. It is not just different, the philosophy of it, the statement itself is different. Not ambergris becoming ambroxan but oud becoming lavender.

post #25110 of 26119
Today I'm wearing Silver Mountain Water.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread