or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread - Page 1596

post #23926 of 25723
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeSense View Post

Just wanted to share my first experience with E-N (the known German site).
Top marks for a great international shipping experience (to Asia). Ordered LADDM and a Creed (with a batch no. request attached to it, which was fulfilled!).
On top received three full-blown EdP samples as requested (all Malle, in surprisingly generous and nicely packaged 3.5ml(!) spray form) plus another three random ones. Oh, and shipping was FOC. Well chuffed.

How long did it take from order to delivery? Prices are great, but I'm not sure it's worth waiting several weeks, which I've read happens on occasion.
post #23927 of 25723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser View Post

How long did it take from order to delivery? Prices are great, but I'm not sure it's worth waiting several weeks, which I've read happens on occasion.

Read about that, too. Advice was to inquire about stock beforehand. I sent a query via help section, got reply within 24 hours, placed order, shipped same day, arrived in Seoul five days later (incl. weekend). Kid you not.
post #23928 of 25723
Today I'm wearing pure sandalwood oil.
post #23929 of 25723
Fruitchouli Flash. From the very beginning this reminded me of Une Rose de Kandahar, even though they are very, very different fragrances. I realized that the similarity is that both have that same dusty, almost potpourri vibe.

EDIT: I received a compliment on Fruitchouli Flash just now.
Edited by L'Incandescent - 4/6/16 at 12:06pm
post #23930 of 25723
Quote:
Originally Posted by crdb View Post

 

Question: is Habit Rouge ever appropriate in a business setting? It's just so... massive. I haven't dared yet.

I've used about a half a spray on days I know I'll be in close contact with others.  It is quite powerful

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post

Fruitchouli Flash. From the very beginning this reminded me of Une Rose de Kandahar, even though they are very, very different fragrances. I realized that the similarity is that both have that same dusty, almost potpourri vibe.

EDIT: I received a compliment on Fruitchouli Flash just now.

 

There were some spilts (well actually full bottles) of this over on basenotes that I was eyeing but never pulled the trigger on.

post #23931 of 25723
It was eighty three degrees here in San Francisco today, so this evening I put on Bruno Fazzolari's Five. For anyone who wants a modern take on the classic eau de cologne then this should be one of your first samples - it's fantastic.
post #23932 of 25723
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNS View Post

It was eighty three degrees here in San Francisco today, so this evening I put on Bruno Fazzolari's Five. For anyone who wants a modern take on the classic eau de cologne then this should be one of your first samples - it's fantastic.

How do you apply an EdC nowadays? I have this image from old commercials in my head, Old Spice, I could bet, where the rough guy pours a generous portion into his palm, rubs with both hands a bit, and then full blast onto both cheeks. Still the same?

Actually I'm struggling a bit. Most scents vanish on me after a pretty short time. Usually one spray on chest, one on neck. I would say that few so far show real staying power. Or, I suffer from olfactory fatigue and my nose just blends them out very quickly.
MFK's Oud moods and some TFs are the exception, as is CdG's Black, which I find morbidly appealing.
post #23933 of 25723
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeSense View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNS View Post

It was eighty three degrees here in San Francisco today, so this evening I put on Bruno Fazzolari's Five. For anyone who wants a modern take on the classic eau de cologne then this should be one of your first samples - it's fantastic.

How do you apply an EdC nowadays? I have this image from old commercials in my head, Old Spice, I could bet, where the rough guy pours a generous portion into his palm, rubs with both hands a bit, and then full blast onto both cheeks. Still the same?

Actually I'm struggling a bit. Most scents vanish on me after a pretty short time. Usually one spray on chest, one on neck. I would say that few so far show real staying power. Or, I suffer from olfactory fatigue and my nose just blends them out very quickly.
MFK's Oud moods and some TFs are the exception, as is CdG's Black, which I find morbidly appealing.

I overwhelmingly prefer spray applications. I find having fragrance on my hands to be disgusting.
post #23934 of 25723

Anybody try Sultan Pasha yet? He received a rave review from Luca Turin's new blog.

 

Carven Vetiver today. It's freezing cold here in Sydney (as far as my used-to-the-tropics-self is concerned) so it felt like the right thing to try. I rather like it. More than Encre Noire? TBC.

post #23935 of 25723
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcman311 View Post
 

I've used about a half a spray on days I know I'll be in close contact with others.  It is quite powerful

 

This the EDC, EDT or EDP? I have the vintage EDC.

post #23936 of 25723
Quote:
Originally Posted by crdb View Post
 

Anybody try Sultan Pasha yet? He received a rave review from Luca Turin's new blog.

 

Carven Vetiver today. It's freezing cold here in Sydney (as far as my used-to-the-tropics-self is concerned) so it felt like the right thing to try. I rather like it. More than Encre Noire? TBC.


I have a pack of 8 samples on the way - I'll write up some first impressions when they arrive.

post #23937 of 25723
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian mcfox View Post
 


I have a pack of 8 samples on the way - I'll write up some first impressions when they arrive.

How did you go about choosing them? I'm still paralyzed by the amount of choice available...

post #23938 of 25723
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNS View Post


I overwhelmingly prefer spray applications. I find having fragrance on my hands to be disgusting.

 

EdP or EdT can turn really funny, even on fingers only. And one definitely doesn't want to have (and waste) a healthy dash of parfum on your hands. EdC though, in its much lighter concentration, I suppose it depends (see 4711 - Echt Koelnisch Wasser).

post #23939 of 25723

Philosykos today. Actually for the last 3 consecutive days. Pretty impressed. Resembles very closely the feeling under the shadow of a fig tree on a hot summer day, and since I have lived this experience in my childhood, this was a surprisingly "back in time" trip with a little drop of nostalgia.    

Anyway, this seems to be a favorite fragrance on my rotation among Aventus, Green Irish Tweed and Sel Marin. Having said that, these 4 are the only ones niche perfumes I own, and since the time I got the first niche one, I never went back to my mainstream fragrances (with the exception of Burberry Summer).   

Having said that, I would like to post a question. which niche perfume resembles close the aroma of the bitter orange trees?    

post #23940 of 25723
Quote:
Originally Posted by apost View Post
 

Philosykos today. Actually for the last 3 consecutive days. Pretty impressed. Resembles very closely the feeling under the shadow of a fig tree on a hot summer day, and since I have lived this experience in my childhood, this was a surprisingly "back in time" trip with a little drop of nostalgia.    

Anyway, this seems to be a favorite fragrance on my rotation among Aventus, Green Irish Tweed and Sel Marin. Having said that, these 4 are the only ones niche perfumes I own, and since the time I got the first niche one, I never went back to my mainstream fragrances (with the exception of Blackberry Summer).   

Having said that, I would like to post a question. which niche perfume resembles close the aroma of the bitter orange trees?    

Kalimera! As for "since I have lived this experience in my childhood" I totally understand: it is the same reason I get so excited by Philosykos, although for me it was the south of France in summer - and since we have almost no fig trees left because of promoters burning everything down, it's also a scent of memory of happier days. I wonder to what extent this memory is essential to enjoying Philosykos. There are reviews on Basenotes that just don't understand the scent, and try and guess what it might be, or to deconstruct it or something. But then you and I, and Luca Turin most famously, immediately think of the tree, not just in abstraction but in the context of the summer when the dry sunny heat makes it smell that way. Maybe in a scorched alley, you turn a corner and you get hit by the smell. It's funny how the smell is localized like that, binary, you just suddenly get hit by fig.

 

I think you should try the other figs on the market: Acqua di Parma Fico di Amalfi, l'Artisan Parfumeur's Premier Figuier, and... Penhaligon's Lothair. I find the first to have nice top notes, but off putting heart and base notes; the second to have been a draft to the artwork that was Philosykos; and the last to be a very interesting twist by adding what smells to me exactly like the pines that are around the fig trees, somehow adding even more to it (again that's a local memory experience - Basenotes calls it tea, cedar...).

 

For bitter orange trees... trying to keep it to personal experience, there is a region of France, Drome, that grows a lot of peaches and other summer fruits. I used to horse ride through those fields. The local cake is called "pogne" and is a kind of orange blossom brioche. Eau des Sens, also by Diptyque, is a mix of neroli and orange blossom that throws me right back there just as Philosykos does with fig trees in the summer heat. I really recommend it, even though it's not quite "the tree".

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread