or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread - Page 1179

post #17671 of 20746
Bought a bottle of Safran Troublant this evening, so I'm wearing this and so excited to have this as a holiday fragrance. It's so soft and comforting.
post #17672 of 20746
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Dreamer View Post

Today I am trialling Passion Boisee, with an eye to another bargain at Peony. Citrus and leather? I don't get the citrus and it's pretty much gone by now, so no to a FB.

wow, how random. I had a 10ml decant of this I got from a friend a while back and was rummaging through my decant box last week and found it, having never worn it, so handed it to my GF who shrpritzed quite a bit on... What struck me most, past the pepper, was a very strong tiger balm / eucalyptus / menthol/medicinal vibe. It kept going for quite a while too! Not unpleasant, but didn't really do it for me either. Eh, not a big deal and it's my fault for handing it to her lol, but you guys ever get stuck on a note and you can't smell past it? I do get some sort of honeyed/syrup/booze in there but it's pretty smooth so I couldn't really pick out any particular notes. Seems to stick around for at least a few hours but can't say it was anything that made me perk up and consider retesting, much less consider a bottle.




Gotta get through this pile, lol:

Essentric Molecules - Essentric 02 - Well, like its older brothers of molecule 01, this contains lots of Iso-E super, along with ambroxan, the synthetic version of amber gris. And some iris for good measure. Upon smelling I get the ISO-E, ie a watery transparent peppery cedar like single accord. Somewhat metallic too. Then there's something that's cold and green with a hint of earth, that's the iris I suppose. Iris doesn't really do much for me, so this isn't getting me excited, plus I already own Molecule 01. I was excited to smell ambroxan (apparently it's a big part of the synthetic ambergris base that Creed uses) but this isn't really doing much for me. I'm going to douse myself and see what happens. I do also totally understand people's sentiments about this molecule series being the Emperor's New Scent sort of story. There's basically like one main ingredient in each, so Giza was pretty ballsy to do it and then charge $100+ for it considering you can get it for nothing from the Perfumer's Apprentice. I guess it's mass-niche appeal, not BN/Fragrantica type people who would know about it. I had a colleague who kept selling Molecule 01 by telling people it was a 'booster' layer to amplify their original fragrance purchase choice after I tried to explain to him why perfumers use Iso-E in their mixes. My overall conclusion, maybe the iris accord and the ambroxan will do something for your nose, for me it didn't really go anywhere, but I'd still say the whole series is worth a TRY. I own Molecule 01 and it's the only thing I consistently wore for about a year when I worked in a fragrance department and swear it had a positive effect on the way I felt. Update - just sprayed it all over and could swear I got a big whiff of fresh button mushrooms. Weird, not off-putting, but surprising.


Caron Third Man – First, there’s a lot going on and it’s very well blended, making it hard to separate notes. I wonder if this sample is from a vintage bottle? It certainly smells like it. There’s an underlying Jicky-ness, ie lavender, oakmoss, vanilla, civet, etc. Off the top there’s a smooth citrus, almost creamy sort of lemon, and a somewhat plastic smell too. It’s quite muted. There’s nothing punchy or fresh here, just smoothened out. I’m getting plastic, hints of powder, and a whole mess of mental color associations. Maybe an old dusty dried out orange peel? This reminds me of a very old flat version of Bois Du Portugal, so not as fresh or soapy. It’s not even overtly masculine IMO. I’d venture to say a woman could pull this off. The tweed/flannel type. Who is this for? Young hipster bearded guys, or more likely, you old guys around that 40-60 mark. Smells like a relaxed version of the big bad 80’s scents. If you like Jicky/BdP, hell if you like what the other Carons are all about, then give this a TRY. It’s not really spicey at all, but there is a hint of incense and warm amber/vanilla in the base. I still can’t get past the plastic+fruit opening, so will have to give this a few more minutes. Actually, I’m also reminded of Ungaro II. Oh wait, I got it now! It’s wax! A lavender candle with the wax and burned out wick. That’s what I’m smelling. Anyway, spend the extra money and get Jicky.

Lacoste Essential – don’t laugh. I’ve had this sample for ages, wore it once, and remember being afraid that my inner snob actually liked the stuff! So here I am years later retesting, just to see… I smell fresh green grass, grapefruits. It’s watery, slightly green, and cooling. Maybe it’s lime? Basil? Alright, time to get my nose checked. Apparently the notes are nothing like what I thought. Bergamot+tangerine, Rose+tomato leaf (two things I dislike), and cassia leaf (???? Anyone?). You know, it’s a watery fresh aquatic type thing, and yet, heck I like it! Pretty young and casual, something I’d wear to the gym (if I went lol), or something to spray on the sheets to freshen things up. Someone on Fragrantica compared it to Live Jazz. I’ll agree with that. It’s not quite as herbal, but yeah, along the same lines. I know you guys will go for the Live Jazz instead though ;-). Or Sisley’s Eau de Campaigne. Or Bois D’Orage (that’s a stretch though). PASS. It’s not bad, but there’s similar better juice from more reputable houses for less $ than this. Nothing wrong, but it’s too young and, well, generic smelling. About an hour later it’s all but a skin scent. May be different in the heat though.

Cartier Roadster – Clearly I’m behind on my reviews because these seem like samples I’d put aside to test out in the summer heat and it’s nearly 0 degrees outside…. I’ve worn this several times since we had a bottle at the shop and I remember it being pleasant but faded quite quickly and sort of forgot I was wearing anything at all. Props for the cool bottle design though. OK so strong opening of fresh grapefruit, bitter green stuff, maybe some spearmint, something offputting and bitter too which I never noticed before. The grapefruit actually keeps this a little warmer but there’s something underneath that’s green bitter and sharp. Fresh overly with vetiver lying under. I’m reminded a bit of Prada Amber, the soapy floral plus dry bitter side accord particularly. Now the soapy vetiver part, sort of like Creed’s Original Vetiver. I’m trying not to give it more credit because it’s Mathilde Laurant and Cartier, so I won’t. It’s just meh IMO. Better juice out there that does the same thing. Now the bottle just seems try hard to me to compensate for weak juice. Conclusions? The scent is pretty safe mainstream boring. Sure it’s fun and pleasant, but sort of just fades away into the background. PASS. Try the Creed above or Prada Amber or Heeley Menthe Fraiche instead. It’s drying down to something warmer now, I am actually getting hints of Guerlain’s L’Instant as one reviewer said, but probably only because they suggested it. I’m still not impressed.

Boucheron Jaipur – Wow, I’ve had this sample almost since I started into fragrances. It’s been at least 4 years and I’ve never even tried it. OK, well today’s the day! Spraying it on… Oh yeah baby, this is Rive Gauche all over. Creamy, spices, something green (blech). Sweet, aromatic, creamy, powder, all the good stuff. Very classic barbershop. Surprising bottle design considering, but whatever. Slightest association with bathroom poutpouri here… I think I still prefer Rive Gauche, but actually I’ll give this a TRY for sure! Apparently the clear glass bottle is a reformulation and it was butchered. The original is a half frosted bottle and much better. And there’s an EdP version too that apparently smells similar. Honestly I’m almost tempted to just buy a bottle of this right now. Really enjoying this one. Must retest a few more times but highly recommended to try this one guys.
post #17673 of 20746
Now that the evening is upon us, I am wearing Cologne Reloaded.
post #17674 of 20746
Yeah it's good stuff. Just finished my decant and have a btl on the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNS View Post

Bought a bottle of Safran Troublant this evening, so I'm wearing this and so excited to have this as a holiday fragrance. It's so soft and comforting.
post #17675 of 20746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post

Gotta get through this pile, lol:

Essentric Molecules - Essentric 02 - Well, like its older brothers of molecule 01, this contains lots of Iso-E super, along with ambroxan, the synthetic version of amber gris. And some iris for good measure. Upon smelling I get the ISO-E, ie a watery transparent peppery cedar like single accord. Somewhat metallic too. Then there's something that's cold and green with a hint of earth, that's the iris I suppose. Iris doesn't really do much for me, so this isn't getting me excited, plus I already own Molecule 01. I was excited to smell ambroxan (apparently it's a big part of the synthetic ambergris base that Creed uses) but this isn't really doing much for me. I'm going to douse myself and see what happens. I do also totally understand people's sentiments about this molecule series being the Emperor's New Scent sort of story. There's basically like one main ingredient in each, so Giza was pretty ballsy to do it and then charge $100+ for it considering you can get it for nothing from the Perfumer's Apprentice. I guess it's mass-niche appeal, not BN/Fragrantica type people who would know about it. I had a colleague who kept selling Molecule 01 by telling people it was a 'booster' layer to amplify their original fragrance purchase choice after I tried to explain to him why perfumers use Iso-E in their mixes. My overall conclusion, maybe the iris accord and the ambroxan will do something for your nose, for me it didn't really go anywhere, but I'd still say the whole series is worth a TRY. I own Molecule 01 and it's the only thing I consistently wore for about a year when I worked in a fragrance department and swear it had a positive effect on the way I felt. Update - just sprayed it all over and could swear I got a big whiff of fresh button mushrooms. Weird, not off-putting, but surprising.


Caron Third Man – First, there’s a lot going on and it’s very well blended, making it hard to separate notes. I wonder if this sample is from a vintage bottle? It certainly smells like it. There’s an underlying Jicky-ness, ie lavender, oakmoss, vanilla, civet, etc. Off the top there’s a smooth citrus, almost creamy sort of lemon, and a somewhat plastic smell too. It’s quite muted. There’s nothing punchy or fresh here, just smoothened out. I’m getting plastic, hints of powder, and a whole mess of mental color associations. Maybe an old dusty dried out orange peel? This reminds me of a very old flat version of Bois Du Portugal, so not as fresh or soapy. It’s not even overtly masculine IMO. I’d venture to say a woman could pull this off. The tweed/flannel type. Who is this for? Young hipster bearded guys, or more likely, you old guys around that 40-60 mark. Smells like a relaxed version of the big bad 80’s scents. If you like Jicky/BdP, hell if you like what the other Carons are all about, then give this a TRY. It’s not really spicey at all, but there is a hint of incense and warm amber/vanilla in the base. I still can’t get past the plastic+fruit opening, so will have to give this a few more minutes. Actually, I’m also reminded of Ungaro II. Oh wait, I got it now! It’s wax! A lavender candle with the wax and burned out wick. That’s what I’m smelling. Anyway, spend the extra money and get Jicky.

Boucheron Jaipur – Wow, I’ve had this sample almost since I started into fragrances. It’s been at least 4 years and I’ve never even tried it. OK, well today’s the day! Spraying it on… Oh yeah baby, this is Rive Gauche all over. Creamy, spices, something green (blech). Sweet, aromatic, creamy, powder, all the good stuff. Very classic barbershop. Surprising bottle design considering, but whatever. Slightest association with bathroom poutpouri here… I think I still prefer Rive Gauche, but actually I’ll give this a TRY for sure! Apparently the clear glass bottle is a reformulation and it was butchered. The original is a half frosted bottle and much better. And there’s an EdP version too that apparently smells similar. Honestly I’m almost tempted to just buy a bottle of this right now. Really enjoying this one. Must retest a few more times but highly recommended to try this one guys.
I really like le troisieme homme. Haven't tried Jicky. Keep reading it's been destroyed by reform. Is it just the vintage Jicky you are recommending, or any?

Same Q for the Jaipur: vintage only, or any?
post #17676 of 20746
Meant to add about the Creed ambroxan/ambergris base. I have a hard time with it. I like GIT for example, until the dry down.
post #17677 of 20746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Dreamer View Post

Today I am trialling Passion Boisee, with an eye to another bargain at Peony. Citrus and leather? I don't get the citrus and it's pretty much gone by now, so no to a FB.


Gotta get through this pile, lol:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Essentric Molecules - Essentric 02 - Well, like its older brothers of molecule 01, this contains lots of Iso-E super, along with ambroxan, the synthetic version of amber gris. And some iris for good measure. Upon smelling I get the ISO-E, ie a watery transparent peppery cedar like single accord. Somewhat metallic too. Then there's something that's cold and green with a hint of earth, that's the iris I suppose. Iris doesn't really do much for me, so this isn't getting me excited, plus I already own Molecule 01. I was excited to smell ambroxan (apparently it's a big part of the synthetic ambergris base that Creed uses) but this isn't really doing much for me. I'm going to douse myself and see what happens. I do also totally understand people's sentiments about this molecule series being the Emperor's New Scent sort of story. There's basically like one main ingredient in each, so Giza was pretty ballsy to do it and then charge $100+ for it considering you can get it for nothing from the Perfumer's Apprentice. I guess it's mass-niche appeal, not BN/Fragrantica type people who would know about it. I had a colleague who kept selling Molecule 01 by telling people it was a 'booster' layer to amplify their original fragrance purchase choice after I tried to explain to him why perfumers use Iso-E in their mixes. My overall conclusion, maybe the iris accord and the ambroxan will do something for your nose, for me it didn't really go anywhere, but I'd still say the whole series is worth a TRY. I own Molecule 01 and it's the only thing I consistently wore for about a year when I worked in a fragrance department and swear it had a positive effect on the way I felt. Update - just sprayed it all over and could swear I got a big whiff of fresh button mushrooms. Weird, not off-putting, but surprising.


Caron Third Man – First, there’s a lot going on and it’s very well blended, making it hard to separate notes. I wonder if this sample is from a vintage bottle? It certainly smells like it. There’s an underlying Jicky-ness, ie lavender, oakmoss, vanilla, civet, etc. Off the top there’s a smooth citrus, almost creamy sort of lemon, and a somewhat plastic smell too. It’s quite muted. There’s nothing punchy or fresh here, just smoothened out. I’m getting plastic, hints of powder, and a whole mess of mental color associations. Maybe an old dusty dried out orange peel? This reminds me of a very old flat version of Bois Du Portugal, so not as fresh or soapy. It’s not even overtly masculine IMO. I’d venture to say a woman could pull this off. The tweed/flannel type. Who is this for? Young hipster bearded guys, or more likely, you old guys around that 40-60 mark. Smells like a relaxed version of the big bad 80’s scents. If you like Jicky/BdP, hell if you like what the other Carons are all about, then give this a TRY. It’s not really spicey at all, but there is a hint of incense and warm amber/vanilla in the base. I still can’t get past the plastic+fruit opening, so will have to give this a few more minutes. Actually, I’m also reminded of Ungaro II. Oh wait, I got it now! It’s wax! A lavender candle with the wax and burned out wick. That’s what I’m smelling. Anyway, spend the extra money and get Jicky.


Boucheron Jaipur – Wow, I’ve had this sample almost since I started into fragrances. It’s been at least 4 years and I’ve never even tried it. OK, well today’s the day! Spraying it on… Oh yeah baby, this is Rive Gauche all over. Creamy, spices, something green (blech). Sweet, aromatic, creamy, powder, all the good stuff. Very classic barbershop. Surprising bottle design considering, but whatever. Slightest association with bathroom poutpouri here… I think I still prefer Rive Gauche, but actually I’ll give this a TRY for sure! Apparently the clear glass bottle is a reformulation and it was butchered. The original is a half frosted bottle and much better. And there’s an EdP version too that apparently smells similar. Honestly I’m almost tempted to just buy a bottle of this right now. Really enjoying this one. Must retest a few more times but highly recommended to try this one guys.

"you old guys around the 40-60 mark"?? Motherfucker . . .

On the comments about Third Man, I'm surprised you've never smelled this one before. It has that slight barbershop vibe, but nothing like Rive Gauche (and both of these are not to be lumped together in any other way, IMO) and it is blended with the highest skill, with jasmine and ylang ylang being the stars of the show.

I appreciate your review of Boucheron Jaipur - I assume it's the Homme version? When I tried this I made myself a sample at Nordstrom and quickly used it up because I liked it, but was always skittish about purchasing a bottle because of its sweetness. High-quality fragrance indeed, and stephenhero, if you are reading this, you should get a sample of Jaipur Homme and try it.
post #17678 of 20746
Master-Classter, I tried on Byredo Baudelaire on my chest last night at Barneys and found it to be one of the first ones I liked. My wife was pushing me SO hard to get that one instead of Safran Troublant but I prevailed. She was in a Christmas mood and wanted me to be the living scented candle around the house by wearing Baudelaire, I guess. To me, overall, it certainly isn't full-bottle worthy because there's other things that fill that niche for me - like Avignon for the incense, OdlR Pour Lui for the heavy-hitting patchouli/leather. I liked it but just too much cross-over with other things I have.
post #17679 of 20746
Quote:
Originally Posted by James1051 View Post

I really like le troisieme homme. Haven't tried Jicky. Keep reading it's been destroyed by reform. Is it just the vintage Jicky you are recommending, or any?
Same Q for the Jaipur: vintage only, or any?
Quote:
Originally Posted by James1051 View Post

Meant to add about the Creed ambroxan/ambergris base. I have a hard time with it. I like GIT for example, until the dry down.
Well I found the 3ieme Homme a little too musty for my taste, but if you like something along those lines I would definitely try Jicky and also Ungaro II. I'm not much of a 'vintage' hound. I've got Jicky parfum and think it's still pretty solid. I have smelled several vintage versions of many scents and generally speaking they really are better, no question, but it's rare that juice is completely killed with an update. So for Jicky, I can't speak to that, but I will say I enjoy the current version in all it's forms. I think you can get a sample of vintage off The Perfumed Court and compare. For the Jaipur, I think my sample is actually the vintage. Vintage is the frosted bottle and reviews also say the new clear bottle version sucks in comparison. So I guess I'm becoming more easy going in my age and just enjoying the juice, although I do often agree that the vintage is much better...

I've just never really liked much from Creed. They seem to watered down to me and barely last, at least on my skin. I think there's that musk/metallic sort of drydown note. With essentric, it was more a clean iris with Iso-E, and that ambroxan. Didn't really do anything for me to be honest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNS View Post

"you old guys around the 40-60 mark"?? Motherfucker . . .
devil.gifbiggrin.gif I figure once you're over 40 it's all game over right? Funny, I used to think about being over 30 at getting older, now that I'm getting close, I'm thinking of guys as 50-60 as 'old'. shog[1].gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNS View Post

On the comments about Third Man, I'm surprised you've never smelled this one before. It has that slight barbershop vibe, but nothing like Rive Gauche (and both of these are not to be lumped together in any other way, IMO) and it is blended with the highest skill, with jasmine and ylang ylang being the stars of the show.
I'm surprised too, but Carons aren't really sold anywhere mainstream here and the whole Caron set always struck me as for older mature wetshaving lumberjack sort of dudes and I'm a young buck, so just bypassed them. I've had this sample for years and years so finally tried it. Did I compare it to RG? I basically found it to be rather muted and sort of low frequency if that makes sense. Like a snuffed out lavender candle. Honestly I'd rather wear something else. Will give it a full wearing to double check but don't think it's for me. I get the appeal though. I will say it was very smoothly blended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNS View Post

I appreciate your review of Boucheron Jaipur - I assume it's the Homme version? When I tried this I made myself a sample at Nordstrom and quickly used it up because I liked it, but was always skittish about purchasing a bottle because of its sweetness. High-quality fragrance indeed, and stephenhero, if you are reading this, you should get a sample of Jaipur Homme and try it.
Yep, the Homme version. I still think RGPH is a better scent along the same lines but this is a nice alternative. Already started scouting bottles on eBay so I guess it caught my attention... I will admit there is a bitter dry note somewhere in there along with the soap that makes me a bit nauseous so gotta check again if i can live with that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNS View Post

Master-Classter, I tried on Byredo Baudelaire on my chest last night at Barneys and found it to be one of the first ones I liked. My wife was pushing me SO hard to get that one instead of Safran Troublant but I prevailed. She was in a Christmas mood and wanted me to be the living scented candle around the house by wearing Baudelaire, I guess. To me, overall, it certainly isn't full-bottle worthy because there's other things that fill that niche for me - like Avignon for the incense, OdlR Pour Lui for the heavy-hitting patchouli/leather. I liked it but just too much cross-over with other things I have.
Oh hey yeah! Honestly, I worked for them for 2 years and there are only 2-3 bottles I own (Baudelaire, Accord Oud, and Gypsy Water) even if they were free. Actually Bal D'Afrique's pretty interesting too. I find Baudelaire to be a patchouli leather berry thing, rather dark even gothic. To me, it seemed rather different from the rest of the line, much more complex and heavier. I will say their prices are way off base, but just judging the juice alone the whole line is decent. It's got a place in my library either way. BTW, you know I'm selling a 36ml travel set of this right...? shog[1].gif PM me if you're interested and we'll work something out
post #17680 of 20746
Oh, no, you didn't compare it to Rive Gauche, but I just made reference to it because of the lavender hinted dry-down.
post #17681 of 20746
M-C
I figure once you're over 40 it's all game over right? Funny, I used to think about being over 30 at getting older, now that I'm getting close, I'm thinking of guys as 50-60 as 'old'.

Be nice to me, I hit 60 today....
Btw
It ain't over (til the fat lady sings...)
post #17682 of 20746

PG Coze'

post #17683 of 20746
Pre-shower: Baudelaire
SOTD: Al Oudh
post #17684 of 20746
Quote:
Originally Posted by James1051 View Post

M-C
I figure once you're over 40 it's all game over right? Funny, I used to think about being over 30 at getting older, now that I'm getting close, I'm thinking of guys as 50-60 as 'old'.

Be nice to me, I hit 60 today....
Btw
It ain't over (til the fat lady sings...)

Happy Birthday James. Nice to see another gentleman of matured sensibilities around here. Ans as for M-C - tounge.gif

In honour of Movember, I sampled Moustache. As lovely as I remember it, but didn't last too long. I need to try this one again.

BTW, conoisseurs of facial hair should pop over the the Australian thread and check out thebrownman's mo after just 9 days. Jaw-dropping.
post #17685 of 20746
Cuir Mauresque today. Starts with a beautiful leather + orange blossom accord with a drop of soap. Right there it is near perfection. Then the jasmine kicks in, taking the frag in a very floral direction. And so at the moment not surE about CM.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread