or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread - Page 973

post #14581 of 20773
well in the case of Molecule 01, it's basically just 18% pure ISO-E Super, ie one molecule. It's a novel idea in the case of Essentric Molecules to make a fragrance with just this one simple substance. Worn on it's own IMO there's a light scent somewhere around a peppery cedar note and I also get a bit of a vinegar note too. Now some people are asnosmic to the molecule/smell (can't smell it), others get a hint, and others find it attractive almost like a pheromone. It's a fairly large molecule so for some it hits their nose and they just tune it right out.

IIRC it was patented back in '74 at Givauden and is one of many synthetics that perfumers use, not so much in this case because of the scent per se but because of it's affects on other molecules as it mixes with them. I believe it has 'fixative' properties so (don't quote me on this) but they're used to control other molecules/accords in the mix, either amplifying them, or making them be released in certain ways/times, etc. But because of why it's been used, it does make sense to layer it if you want because it could make your normal fragrance smell different or add just a little umph behind your regular scent. Also because some people buy into the story but don't actually smell much, they made Essentric 01 which is the same but with a slight scent added (pink pepper, lime, iris - I think those are the three notes)....

I'm not overly familiar with the rest of the range. I think Molecule 02 is Ambrein (TM) or Ambroxin or something like that, basically the synthetic ambergris that people have been using for a few years now. I remember reading something about it having a warm but metalic sort of smell?

anyway, that's my understanding of the whole thing, if someone knows different please let me/us know.
post #14582 of 20773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post

well in the case of Molecule 01, it's basically just 18% pure ISO-E Super, ie one molecule. It's a novel idea in the case of Essentric Molecules to make a fragrance with just this one simple substance. Worn on it's own IMO there's a light scent somewhere around a peppery cedar note and I also get a bit of a vinegar note too. Now some people are asnosmic to the molecule/smell (can't smell it), others get a hint, and others find it attractive almost like a pheromone. It's a fairly large molecule so for some it hits their nose and they just tune it right out.

IIRC it was patented back in '74 at Givauden and is one of many synthetics that perfumers use, not so much in this case because of the scent per se but because of it's affects on other molecules as it mixes with them. I believe it has 'fixative' properties so (don't quote me on this) but they're used to control other molecules/accords in the mix, either amplifying them, or making them be released in certain ways/times, etc. But because of why it's been used, it does make sense to layer it if you want because it could make your normal fragrance smell different or add just a little umph behind your regular scent. Also because some people buy into the story but don't actually smell much, they made Essentric 01 which is the same but with a slight scent added (pink pepper, lime, iris - I think those are the three notes)....

I'm not overly familiar with the rest of the range. I think Molecule 02 is Ambrein (TM) or Ambroxin or something like that, basically the synthetic ambergris that people have been using for a few years now. I remember reading something about it having a warm but metalic sort of smell?

anyway, that's my understanding of the whole thing, if someone knows different please let me/us know.

Thanks M-C, this was really useful. I put on Molecule 01 last week at Aedes, but I must be anosmic to it because I really didn't smell much at all. They also mentioned that it would be more noticeable if it was layered, but I didn't get the chance to try it out...
post #14583 of 20773
Hey guys, not to get all spammy (will start a dedicated sales thread one day) but I'm looking to sell off a bunch of stuff listed below and I figured you guys would want first dibbs. PM me if interested and we'll figure out shipping timing/costs, etc. Prices not listed because I'm flexible so if you're interested in something PM me and we'll work it out. I will say I'm generally looking to do CONUS.

For sale, all decanted in nice atomizers.
10ml - Hermes Ambre de Merveilles, Frederic Malle Lys Medeteranee, Serge Lutens Serge Noir, Armani Privee La Femme Nacre (very rare)
30ml - Tom Ford for Men
50ml - Tom Ford Black Orchid *Voile de Fleur (edt)
10-30-50ml:
Tom Ford Private Blends - Tobacco Vanille, Oud Wood, Tuscan Leather, Noir de Noir, Neroli Portofino, Amber Absolute, Lavender Palm
ByKilian - Love, Prelude to Love, A Taste of Heaven, Back to Black

Testers:
Brand New - 100ml Aqua Di Parma Colognia Assoluta (no cap or box), 100ml Magnolia Nobile limited edition (nice bottle, with cap)
Brand New - 50ml Guerlain Mitsouko EdT (with cap)
50ml (at 50%) Clive Christian 'C' for men (with cap), 50ml 99% 'X' for men with cap

Bottles/Partials: (retail bottle with caps, no boxes)
50ml (50%) ELDO Antiheroes
100ml (95%) Parfums de Nicolaii - Mimosaique
100ml (95%) 06130 - Lentisque
50ml (90-95%) Serge Lutens - Bas de Soie
90ml (95%) MPG - Jardin de Nil (old formulation and packaging, cut class bottle)
2x5ml delux samples - Serge Lutens - Clair De Musc
50ml (95%) - Stephanie De Saint-Aignan - Un The Au Sahara
15ml (99%) - Andy Tauer - Carillon Pour Un Ange
50ml (90%) - Montale - Oud Red Flowers

added - 35ml (100%) Hermes Voyage Parfum (tester no box)
Edited by Master-Classter - 1/14/13 at 6:59pm
post #14584 of 20773
Yeah, what M-C said. Escentric 01 adds just a little bit of complexity to the ISO-E Super--but not much--with pink pepper and lime. Unsurprisingly, it has a very minimalist feel. I'm not always in the mood for it, but when I am, I really like it a lot.

I've switched into 2nd Cumming for the evening.
post #14585 of 20773
Pre-shower: Ocean Rain
SOTD: Aventus. I should get lots of attention from the "beeches" today, no two ways about it.
post #14586 of 20773
Awwwww, yeeeeahhhh, the panties are going to get moist around L'Inc's Aventus cloud!!!!!!!
post #14587 of 20773
Kiehls Musk. I'm in Texas working the next two weeks traveling with a limited arsenal of goods, the Kiehl's is a sample I had lying around. I did score a pretty cheap partial bottle of Iquitos on Ebay a few days ago (did anyone else here bid?) and it will be coming to me here this week.
post #14588 of 20773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron View Post

Kiehls Musk. I'm in Texas working the next two weeks traveling with a limited arsenal of goods, the Kiehl's is a sample I had lying around. I did score a pretty cheap partial bottle of Iquitos on Ebay a few days ago (did anyone else here bid?) and it will be coming to me here this week.

I bet you're the one who outbid me! I didn't bid very aggressively at all; I figured if I could get it cheap I'd take it, but if not that was okay too.
post #14589 of 20773
I don't know, that was pretty cheap considering how scarce it's getting! I figured it would go closer to $40 so I was pretty pleased with myself.
post #14590 of 20773
Yeah, that was an amazing deal. Over the last month I've spent too much money on fragrance, so I was unwilling to commit too strongly to it. In other circumstances, I would have bid much more aggressively.
post #14591 of 20773
The Brun Jean Charles Brosseau. Harsh black tea with cumin
post #14592 of 20773
SOTD: Casbah de Robert Piguet
post #14593 of 20773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post

Hey guys, not to get all spammy (will start a dedicated sales thread one day) but I'm looking to sell off a bunch of stuff listed below and I figured you guys would want first dibbs. PM me if interested and we'll figure out shipping timing/costs, etc. Prices not listed because I'm flexible so if you're interested in something PM me and we'll work it out. I will say I'm generally looking to do CONUS.

(...)

That's an impressive range of scents. What's your take on the Ambre des Merveilles? I've heard scattered raves about it.

BTW, if you're still up for the swap we discussed a while back, I'm good to go.

...

Today - it was cold and so I wore Knize Ten. Kinda weird under my finisher's shirt but you only live once and all that.

This weekend I met up with a friend who was in town and we started sniffing all sorts of scents. She wanted to check out a store in the Galleria that supposedly had a trove of older scents for pennies on the dollar. More on that in a moment, but while I was at Neiman, I sniffed at some of the Ramon Monegals (nice but not compelling), Finally got my nose on the Absolute Pour le Soir (didn't work on paper, didn't try on skin), some of the Ateleiers, and this Chantekaille Kalimantan that she raved about but I didn't see as worth the $. Hmm, there were a few others I sniffed at but can't remember now. Finally sniffed at the Le Labos (Patch, Santal, Jasmin, Anis (she thought it read something a bit different), and some other one I forgot). Sniffed Malle's Portrait of a Lady, Carnal Flower, I forget the last one. Got to the Cartier stand and tried L'Heure Fourgeuse that also got raves, but didn't compel.

We ended up at a small store called Etoile, between Saks and Macy's. They had a passel of picked-over oldies: Guerlain, Caron, other names I'd not heard in decades or at all, ever. None of the big names among either line - No Shalimar, Tabac Blond, Jicky. We went along the walls, she started hyperventilating at all the old boxes and bottles. We found the Caron and Guerlains together, she ended up scoring testers of one old Caron and two Guerlains. I found a tester of Bel Ami in the shaker bottle, sprayed onto a cotton ball and huffed for about 20 minutes. I thought it was fantastic and was ready to get a bottle on the spot. He only had the tester, and the juice was dark, so I put a little on skin and waited. This rich, dense, reckless scent suddenly got dry and thin and after about an hour took on the exact same tenor of the current Bel Ami: Lemon / woody / cardamom, hardly any sandalwood. Was sorely disappointed. After I got home, I started huffing again and found it had turned to the old Antaeus: woody/sage/beeswax. And I laughed.

I did huff a few other scents: Hermes Rouge (nice, but no Bel Ami), Kelly Caleche (why, Hermes, why?), an old bottle of Third Man (different, muddier), and whiffed at a couple of the Amouages and Creeds. Tried Royal English Leather on skin - not sure why I bothered. All in all, it was a good time, though.
post #14594 of 20773
^^ I'm a big fan of Hermes Rouge; I think it's an underappreciated scent in their lineup. If I could only have Rouge or Bel Ami, I think I'd choose Rouge.

No attention from the beeches so far today, even though I am wearing Aventus. Buncha bullshit.
post #14595 of 20773
Yatagan!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread