or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread - Page 948

post #14206 of 20494
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post

Do the people around you like it? smile.gif
Last time I visited my family, my mother complimented me on M/Mink. I was surprised.

I havent worn it out yet, I just got the sample vial in today and placed a few dabs on my hand.

Its odd, I can't exactly tell you what it smells like but nothing unpleasant readily comes to mind. Secretions magnifiques doesn't bother me either though so I just might be a weirdo.

Anyone have any experience with Dior Leather Oud? So good
post #14207 of 20494
M/Mink is meant to evoke Japanese calligraphy ink. I don't know about the Japanese calligraphy part, but to my nose it is a very dense, saturated inky scent.

Dior Leather Oud is very good, but its hypermasculinity is not quite to my taste.
post #14208 of 20494

Voyage d'Hermes Eau de Parfum Hermes

post #14209 of 20494
Here's a fascinating post about changes in the brain that happen with increased experience as a perfumer. Posts at Grain de Musc are always given in both French and English, but I'm not seeing the English for this one.

http://graindemusc.blogspot.com/2012/12/le-cerveau-des-parfumeurs-se-modifie-en_16.html
post #14210 of 20494
Today: Parfumerie Générale 08 Intrigant Patchouli.

Civet and Patchouli at the opening (I don't get much citrus), drying down to a soft vanilla amber. I like this; I just wish the patchouli was more stonkin' than it is (and that the opening lasted longer...) The civet works well with the patchouli, and there's just enough to give it a good animalic kick. I'm looking forward to trying more fragrances in this line...
Edited by Maquis - 12/16/12 at 8:53pm
post #14211 of 20494
Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I haven't seen any other fragrance threads around...

Could I get a recommendation for perfume/eau de toilette? I used to just use whatever I found lying around the house (some cheap stuff that was lying around or some of my dad's stuff), but I'd like to move on from that. I know that this stuff is really personal, but I don't even know where to begin.
post #14212 of 20494
Bel Respiro for me today. Very, very green right at the top, it transitions into a crisp, light floral. I feel like I'm picking up a laundry musk in the base, but I see no reference to this in the notes.
post #14213 of 20494
Quote:
Originally Posted by dune View Post

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I haven't seen any other fragrance threads around...
Could I get a recommendation for perfume/eau de toilette? I used to just use whatever I found lying around the house (some cheap stuff that was lying around or some of my dad's stuff), but I'd like to move on from that. I know that this stuff is really personal, but I don't even know where to begin.

Let's start by narrowing down the options a bit. Do you think you'd prefer something modern or something with a more classic feel? And would you prefer something sweet--like vanilla and amber--or something a little sharper and more bracing? Finally, do you have a maximum you're willing to pay? These don't exhaust the choices, of course, but just to get us in the ballpark.
post #14214 of 20494
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post

M/Mink is meant to evoke Japanese calligraphy ink. I don't know about the Japanese calligraphy part, but to my nose it is a very dense, saturated inky scent.
Dior Leather Oud is very good, but its hypermasculinity is not quite to my taste.

 

I sampled the Leather Oud today, I had heard reports of it evolving with time but it's pretty linear on me, after the dry down it's just this civet-leather mix that is so good nod[1].gif

 

I also have Rien, Philosykos, Oud 27, The Afternoon of a Faun, and 1740 to sample. I am unquestionably addicted teacha.gif

post #14215 of 20494
For those discussing Leather Oud, I encourage y'all to try Montale Aoud Cuir d'Arabie, which is an excellent balance of those two components but is much more raw in the beginning.

Today: Bois des Iles - what a beautiful use of orris to bring out the soft creaminess of the sandalwood. I needed it on a day like this, with the cold overcast and misty weather.

This evening: Mitsouko parfum to create an atmosphere around me as I watch NFL with my tree lit up and the fireplace burning.
post #14216 of 20494
Shem-el-Nessim by Grossmith. Some fine work. Like a refined and more sophisticated L'Heure Bleue with a hefty pricetag. wink.gif Almost feels like an éxtrait (it's an EdP).
post #14217 of 20494
I look forward to smelling the Grossmith stuff some day.
post #14218 of 20494
I don't find Leather Oud and Oud Cuir Arabie to be even the slightest bit alike. The former is sweet and sharp and refined in the way of traditional french perfumery (and it doesn't really agree with me.) The latter is raw, with notes that resemble gasoline and 3rd world tanneries along with a sharp medicinal oud (and I love it.)
Edited by Baron - 12/16/12 at 8:05pm
post #14219 of 20494
Oh, I agree on the apples and oranges of the two leather/oud combos, but I find the Montale one to be much more true to its name.
post #14220 of 20494
SOTD: Parfumerie Général 02 Cozé

Patchouli, licorice-root, clove, leather, unsweetened dark chocolate, fresh moist earth. Weird, and I love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron View Post

I don't find Leather Oud and Oud Cuir Arabie to be even the slightest bit alike. The former is sweet and sharp and refined in the way of traditional french perfumery (and it doesn't really agree with me.) The latter is raw, with notes that resemble gasoline and 3rd world tanneries along with a sharp medicinal oud (and I love it.)

I have a sample of Oud Cuir Arabie, and I'm looking forward to spending some time with this one...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread