or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread - Page 913

post #13681 of 20744
Wearing Violet Blonde on my left wrist this morning. Thought I'd give it a try since it's one of L'Inc's faves. It's very good - very "Guerlain" to me.

Edit: The stage I'm getting one hour after application is fabulous.
Edited by HORNS - 11/15/12 at 9:33am
post #13682 of 20744
Penhaligon's LP No. 9 today.
post #13683 of 20744

Evening: YSL La Nuit De l'Homme

post #13684 of 20744
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNS View Post

Wearing Violet Blonde on my left wrist this morning. Thought I'd give it a try since it's one of L'Inc's faves. It's very good - very "Guerlain" to me.
Edit: The stage I'm getting one hour after application is fabulous.

cheers.gif
post #13685 of 20744
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post

I for one am happy that the classics are still available on the market, no doubt about that. But I'm also happy to see the art of perfumery looking forward and producing scents, like Feu d'Issey for example, that would have been practically unthinkable in earlier eras.
Of course this represents my aesthetic sensibilities generally. I was just at a philosophy conference where the speaker brought up in passing that Elliott Carter had recently died. He hastened to add that he would never actually listen to Carter; he much preferred Bach. I, for one, would much rather listen to Carter!

I hear you. I like old things in general, so I suppose I'm just partial to the classics. I work in an "only the new is good" creative field, so I have an entrenched perspective on the classic vs. the contemporary that I won't subject you all to...satisfied.gif

SOTD: Knize Ten.
post #13686 of 20744
You know, I work in a field that leans more toward "only the old is really good." I think that's completely wrong in my own field, and I tend to think that more generally.
post #13687 of 20744
SotN: Rocabar
post #13688 of 20744
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post

You know, I work in a field that leans more toward "only the old is really good." I think that's completely wrong in my own field, and I tend to think that more generally.

I imagine we'd have an interesting discussion, then! wink.gif
post #13689 of 20744
Tom Ford Oud Wood
post #13690 of 20744
Tom Ford day, I guess.
post #13691 of 20744
Tonight: Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta. Anyone else wear this stuff, or have ever tried it? I love it - it is very sophisticated and has a classic, almost old fashioned smell to it.
post #13692 of 20744
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNS View Post

Tonight: Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta. Anyone else wear this stuff, or have ever tried it? I love it - it is very sophisticated and has a classic, almost old fashioned smell to it.

I agree 100%. I think I've mentioned this before, but I'm amazed at how complex this scent is. Of course it's got that classic citrusy cologne top, with ingredients that smell really high quality. But also at the top you get a soft floral sweetness. And there's also something resiny in there that's really unexpected.
post #13693 of 20744
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNS View Post

Tonight: Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta. Anyone else wear this stuff, or have ever tried it? I love it - it is very sophisticated and has a classic, almost old fashioned smell to it.

I love it, as well! There seemed to be a light powdery note in the dry down, which to my nose makes it seem more sophisticated (wistful?) than some other standard, bright and happy EdCs. This is definitely on my To Buy list...

Has anyone tried Thierry Mugler Cologne? When I smelled it, all I could think of was Colonia Assoluta . I need to smell it more---the AdP may have more of that "old fashioned" vibe than the Mugler---but they did seem similar on first sniff...
post #13694 of 20744
I am wearing PdN Sacrebleu for the evening hours. (And if you say I'm not, you'll get the Spanish press.)
post #13695 of 20744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maquis View Post


I love it, as well! There seemed to be a light powdery note in the dry down, which to my nose makes it seem more sophisticated (wistful?) than some other standard, bright and happy EdCs. This is definitely on my To Buy list...
Has anyone tried Thierry Mugler Cologne? When I smelled it, all I could think of was Colonia Assoluta . I need to smell it more---the AdP may have more of that "old fashioned" vibe than the Mugler---but they did seem similar on first sniff...

I have and love Thierry Mugler cologne. It is similar but more straighforward. The AdP is considerably more nuanced but both are great. Can't beat the price on the TM. And speaking of TM, it's Pure Malt today. I think I'm allowed to smell boozy on a Friday.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread