or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread - Page 898

post #13456 of 20528
Switched into HdP Petroleum for the evening. I'm trying to appreciate this one, but I'm not succeeding.
post #13457 of 20528
Idole de Lubin today. So glad I got a decant of this last year. This was one that I'd sampled in store a couple times but it got lost in the shuffle each time. Boozy and spicy and long lasting without having an obnoxious brutal sillage. Exactly what I'm looking for in this type of perfume.
post #13458 of 20528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron View Post

Idole de Lubin today. So glad I got a decant of this last year. This was one that I'd sampled in store a couple times but it got lost in the shuffle each time. Boozy and spicy and long lasting without having an obnoxious brutal sillage. Exactly what I'm looking for in this type of perfume.

This one's OK. I've gone in and smelled it many times in the store, along with spraying it on my wrist, but still can't justify getting it. Why the issue at all, then? It's because it comes in an awesome bottle.
post #13459 of 20528
Today: Geranium Pour Monsieur.
post #13460 of 20528
Kilian - Back to Black again. I think this is a more elegant version of A*Men.
post #13461 of 20528
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post

today i wore something i havent worn in about 2 years...armani prive Cuir Amethyste...still kinda on the fence..much different than the royal oud i wore this week.

jesus, you're still working on that decant?
post #13462 of 20528
Yesterday: Ormonde Man
Today: Guerlain Derby reissue (this is soapier than I remember; I *really* like it. But, damn, is it expensive...)
post #13463 of 20528
Bel Ami. I get a similar vibe to Dunhill Blend 30 but Blend 30 seems a little better.
post #13464 of 20528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maquis View Post

Yesterday: Ormonde Man
Today: Guerlain Derby reissue (this is soapier than I remember; I *really* like it. But, damn, is it expensive...)

Yeah, Derby smells good, but not that good.

Oh, and the Geranium Pour Monsieur is wife-approved!
post #13465 of 20528
Pre-shower: Idole de Lubin edt. I was inspired by Baron's post. According to my records, I haven't worn this since December 2011! I had forgotten how good it is.

SOTD: I'm trying out the brand new ELDOs. Today it's Afternoon of a Faun. I'm liking this very much. It's in the ballpark of Tilda Swinton, owing to the quite prominent immortelle note. But Afternoon of a Faun also features a bergamot note that gives it some more lift, and that makes it have a less autumnal feel. My tendency is to overestimate how much I like things on first smelling, but I really am liking this a lot.
post #13466 of 20528
Idole de Lubin for me today as well.
post #13467 of 20528
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post

Pre-shower: Idole de Lubin edt. I was inspired by Baron's post. According to my records, I haven't worn this since December 2011! I had forgotten how good it is.
SOTD: I'm trying out the brand new ELDOs. Today it's Afternoon of a Faun. I'm liking this very much. It's in the ballpark of Tilda Swinton, owing to the quite prominent immortelle note. But Afternoon of a Faun also features a bergamot note that gives it some more lift, and that makes it have a less autumnal feel. My tendency is to overestimate how much I like things on first smelling, but I really am liking this a lot.

Hearing 'Faun' and 'immortelle' in the same sentence immediately brings to mind Biche Dans l'Absinthe, one of the strangest and most compelling scents I've come across and one that is truly impossible to find. The whole Gobin Daude line was ahead of it's time. I still have a tiny bit left of Biche and I love it. As such it never gets worn because I hate to lose it as a reference point. frown.gif

But this ELDO - wondering if it's a remake or copy or homage to Biche?
post #13468 of 20528
I had never heard of Biche dans L'Absinthe until just now. It looks very interesting! Other than the immortelle, it doesn't look like there's a lot in common between the two scents. According to their own literature, ELDO took their inspiration from the Mallarme poem, and more directly from Nijinsky's performance in Debussy's ballet of the same name.

Checking out the reviews, it looks like you're in the minority in liking Biche dans L'Absinthe!
post #13469 of 20528
What's your guys take on Back to Black? Do you see any resemblance to A*Men?
post #13470 of 20528
I like Back to Black very much. I find it to be in the ballpark of A*Men, but it doesn't have those carmel and burnt tar notes that are so characteristic of A*Men. Back to Black seems less loud and more formal to me.

I should add that there are some times when I find the honey in Back to Black to smell a little bit like urine. But other times I don't smell it that way.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread